News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 05, 2013, 09:04:40 AM
Anybody going to see Gatsby next week when it comes out?
As a general rule I see movies with Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music on the soundtrack to support Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music awareness. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

mongers

Quote from: Queequeg on May 05, 2013, 05:12:31 PM
As a general rule I see movies with Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music on the soundtrack to support Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music awareness.

Damn you've tainted Phil Manzanera for me.   :mad:

:P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Hey 11Bravo, here's a Jeff-Bridges-as-Rooster-Cogburn fix for ya.  Sorta.  :lol:

http://youtu.be/ibMV4ZOYHh4

Viking

Quote from: katmai on May 05, 2013, 05:02:53 PM
Heh, yeah i had to give up on that show after 3 episodes.

I quit half way through episode 2.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Quote from: fahdiz on May 02, 2013, 10:59:18 PM
I liked his Kingdom miniseries and I liked Melancholia.
I like a fair few von Trier films. I think he's a generally pretty good director.
Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

42.  Was a good feel-good style movie. 
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 05, 2013, 06:50:51 PM
I like a fair few von Trier films. I think he's a generally pretty good director.

Sicko Euro.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 05, 2013, 06:50:51 PM

With reservations, I've liked all the ones I've seen except Antichrist.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 05, 2013, 06:56:12 PM
With reservations, I've liked all the ones I've seen except Antichrist.
Antichrist's one of those films I don't like to say I liked, so I say it's good :P
Let's bomb Russia!

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 05, 2013, 06:36:33 PM
Hey 11Bravo, here's a Jeff-Bridges-as-Rooster-Cogburn fix for ya.  Sorta.  :lol:

http://youtu.be/ibMV4ZOYHh4
:D
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Queequeg

Why would anyone enjoy Melancholia? It's a misanthropic shitty version of Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

You know it, buster.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Iron Man 3 (2012).  Just like the Iron Man suits themselves, this franchise has become eminently disposable.  The Marvel movies have been extremely hit or miss for me--the first Iron Man and Thor being the two bona fide, unqualified hits--but one overriding theme seems to be that they tend to experience a smattering of anal leakage forty-five minutes to an hour before the credits roll--The Avengers, The Incredible Hulk, and now very much Iron Man 3--even if they don't shit the bed entirely, like Captain America did.  Iron Man 3 is like half of a pretty rad movie, and half of a pretty lame one.  I think those who have seen it will be able to identify the turning point.  Apropos of nothing, do you remember that part in Die Hard where Hans Gruber is checking the detonators, runs smack into John McClane, and Alan Rickman puts on his awful Midwestern accent and starts screaming about how he got away from the terrorists, fooling McClane into thinking he's a regular guy?  Wasn't that part great?  Wouldn't it be really shitty if that didn't go anywhere?  Lowest C+ possible, and this is solely because Tony Stark called a latchkey kid a pussy for missing his father, which was hilarious.

Arachnophobia (1988).  There aren't a lot of movies where an animal wrangling featurette would be considered desirable on the Blu Ray release, and fewer still where you'd consider it necessary.  But then there is Arachnophobia.  I'm sure no one who watched this movie would want to know how they got thousands of spiders to hit their marks properly; that is clearly a subject without any inherent interest.  It doesn't even have any commentary tracks.  Anyway, scary-ass film, and Jeff Daniels and John Goodman are a hell of a lot of fun as their respective goofy characters.  Did you know they tried to market this as a "thrillomedy" [sic]?  That might be retarded, but the movie's a solid A.

Oz, The Great and Powerful (2012).  Finally got a chance to see this.  It's not great, but it's worth watching despite a lot of what seems like wheel-spinning, for the opening scene in Kansas, which is a lot of fun, and the occasional moment where the movie doesn't seem like it's just filling running time with vague ideas it doesn't care to explore.  Franco is excellent as he always is.  Mila Kunis is hot for most of the movie--and I did appreciate the hell out of one visual touch, where tears (water) left deep cuts on her witch face.  Nice job, there, Raimi.  For your next trick, explain how their own sweat doesn't reduce them to a pile of smoking goo within minutes.  Definitely a higher C+ than Iron Man 3, maybe a B if I were feeling generous, which I'm not.

The Crow (1994).  A man died to make this?  I dunno.  Maybe if I'd watched this at 13 like a normal person, I'd love it, but as it stands, I liked it okay.  Brandon Lee is fun as the undead Goth Spider-Man, quipping through revenge killings in a series of quasi-competently made action scenes.  Michael Wincott is also adorable as the growly villain who spends most of his time chewing through the scenery of quasi-competently designed sets.  I guess it's a C+.  It's way shorter than Iron Man 3.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on May 05, 2013, 11:21:45 PM
Why would anyone enjoy Melancholia? It's a misanthropic shitty version of Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice.

If you are European.  Misanthropic and shitty are sort of their things.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Days of Thunder (1990).  Top Gun with cars > Top Gun with airplanes?  It may be so, as much as I hate to say it.  Thunder is less vignettish in its execution, there's a lot less distractingly reused stock footage (though there is regrettably some), and Tom Cruise's role as Tom Cruise* is meatier and his performance stronger.  Top Gun has a more nuanced message ("bend, so you do not break; work as a team and accomplish excellence; being Val Kilmer's wingman is OK as long as it's 1986") than Thunder ("drive really fast even though it's stupid, because you have nowhere else to go and nothing else to do").  But F-14s are not strategic bombers and therefore of the same inherently minimal cultural value as NASCAR anyway--so on presentation I'll give the slightest edge to Days of Thunder. A+

*Would Oblivion [spoiler]be the best movie ever, if instead Jack Harper, the alien AI sent down clones of an in-universe Tom Cruise to wipe out humanity?  Wouldn't that have been amazing?  What if it were Nicole Kidman who realized they were no longer an effective team?[/spoiler]
Kinemalogue