TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Maladict

Quote from: Razgovory on May 06, 2013, 12:02:59 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 05, 2013, 11:21:45 PM
Why would anyone enjoy Melancholia? It's a misanthropic shitty version of Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice.

If you are European.  Misanthropic and shitty are sort of their things.

:yes: I liked it a lot.

Viking

Quote from: katmai on May 06, 2013, 02:59:44 AM
Ide's taste in movies. :bleeding:

A review is a text that not only says if it is good or bad but it also says WHY it is good or bad. I don't mind his taste, it's just not worth while to read his reviews unless he not only says if it is good or bad but why it is good or bad.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on May 06, 2013, 04:17:53 AM

A review is a text that not only says if it is good or bad but it also says WHY it is good or bad. I don't mind his taste, it's just not worth while to read his reviews unless he not only says if it is good or bad but why it is good or bad.

At least he bolds the grade, so I don't have to spend any time reading them.
If I want to read kids who think they're cuter than they actually are, I'd read some campus newspapers.

katmai

Oh i stopped reading them long ago.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Garbon=part of the problem since mid 80's <_<

Neil

Strategic bombers are of no use to anyone.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Kleves

Tell that to the residents of Hiroshima circa August 6th, 1945. OH WAIT YOU CAN'T
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Viking on May 06, 2013, 04:17:53 AM

I did that in a summary way.  Iron Man 3, for example, I said was just okay, veering toward actually bad, because its plot derails terribly in the last half.  Getting too far into that is spoilery, but anyone who's seen it knows exactly what I'm talking about--the wasted talent, the creeping disappointment, the gnashing of teeth.  Arachnophobia is great because spiders are scary and there are lots of well-wrangled spiders in it.  Oz was just okay because it was dull and half-realized.  The Crow was just okay because it was amateurish and goofy.  Days of Thunder was exceptional because it has an excellent Tom Cruise performance, interesting characters, good dialogue, and lots of neat car crashes.

I'd actually like to get into a spoilery discussion of why Iron Man 3 bothered me so much.  [spoiler]In case you didn't get it, it's because they decided that Iron Man's greatest villain, the Mandarin, was better served as a joke.  Also because the "twist" with Pepper Potts dying, even with suspension of disbelief in overdrive mode, is likely to be convincing only to head trauma victims and small animals.  Finally, when the mass-production of Iron Man suits becomes a possibility, or even an inevitability--and this is a problem inherent in the material--the concept breaks, even if Tony Stark remains interesting, because Iron Man as a comic or a film series is constrained by outside factors and can never pass through to the next level, and create the full-on science fiction future all Iron Man stories are prologue to.  Kleves had it right without going into it very much that it is a really stupid movie, but more than that--to paraphrase Roger Ebert--it's stupid in the way it goes about being stupid, and that's a pretty serious flaw.[/spoiler]

P.S.

Things katmai likes:

Shitty superhero movies that ruin the source material with their aborted attempts at cleverness and, worse, aren't particularly good as movies either.
Undercooked prequel films put together by mining ancient Americana.
Silly 90s Goth bullshit.

Things katmai dislikes:

Fun movies that deploy some seriously inventive technique in ways that serve their coherent, fully realized characters and stories.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Quote from: katmai on May 06, 2013, 07:17:12 AM

I read 'em.

Days of Thunder C-
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

No shit. Oz the Stupid and Boring gets a C? That was one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. Took the entire family - the wife is a Oz fanatic, both kids wanted to see it, and all four of us walked out saying it was stupid and boring.

Even my 9 year old daughter, who thinks EVERYTHING is great, thought it was lame.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

Quote from: 11B4V on May 06, 2013, 09:49:59 AM
Quote from: katmai on May 06, 2013, 07:17:12 AM

I read 'em.

Days of Thunder C-

This I can agree with. Boring and forgettable.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 06, 2013, 10:07:54 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 06, 2013, 09:49:59 AM
Days of Thunder C-

This I can agree with. Boring and forgettable.

Top Gun has a "more nuanced message" anyway.