News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on March 30, 2013, 10:05:49 PM
Just saw Showgirls for the first time.

What was up with all the grunting?

And more importantly, what the fuck was up with the last 15 minutes? It was like they said - well we've made an okay, sexually provocative movie - now how can we make sure it ends up in a train wreck?

I like how the last scene shows that none of the shit that happens in the movie has any effect whatsoever on Berkley's character.  :D
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Kleves

Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2013, 12:51:20 AM
Has any[one] seen The Raid: Redemption?
I thought it was excellent. I would recommend it.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Syt

Quote from: Habbaku on March 31, 2013, 08:23:41 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2013, 12:51:20 AM
Has anything seen...

:hmm:

Note to self: refer to Languish posters as things only behind their backs.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 31, 2013, 08:27:03 AM
I like how the last scene shows that none of the shit that happens in the movie has any effect whatsoever on Berkley's character.  :D

Fair call. :thumbsup:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 31, 2013, 12:46:51 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 31, 2013, 12:14:18 AM
but I think I would have liked it more if it had either been slightly less competent, or rather more ambitious.

What does this even mean?  Your review does not elaborate upon this concept.  You just put it out there and left it, while you go onto other themes: your comments about the actors were positive, you liked the violence, the slo-mo scenes were fun, et cetera.  So how do we come to the conclusion that "slightly less competent" or "rather more ambitious" would solve the "wasted potential"?

The movie may have delivered, but your movie review did not.  Rewrite, resubmit.  Grade: INCOMPLETE

If there was not that glimmer of being more--which would be fine, there a lot of movies that are just actioners that are still great--I almost would have enjoyed it more.  I never sit and watch Predator and think, "Gosh, McTiernan could have really explored these themes."  I don't even know what the theme of Predator is, other than a monster trying to kill Arnold Schwarzennegger.  Hunting for sport is wrong?  OK, I can get behind that.  But it didn't really need to be discussed or explored, and it does not textually raise the issue.

A post-due process world is inherently interesting, but failure to do much with that still wouldn't make much of difference if there hadn't been glimmers of something a bit more meaty, well, than the few thousand pounds of meat that gets dropped in the movie.  They bring up the possibilities time and time again, then take the easy way out, using non-lethal force if it would make the audience question the basic benignity of the characters, and having Dredd set some dehumanized villains on fire when it wouldn't.

I wanted humanized villains set on fire.  I wanted them to go for the gusto.  I wanted him to kill the kids, OK?  And I wanted Anderson to be mad about it.  Or not mad.  Or unreasonably pleased.  Just have a thruline to it.

Now, I'll grant, there are a few nice bits where Anderson faces consequences or makes decisions.  [spoiler]Anderson meets the wife and son of the guy she'd just judged guilty of attempted murder of a judge, and it's the kind of thing I wanted to see.  And there is an excellent bit at the end where she judges a guy not guilty due to duress.  And maybe the movie did have more of what I wanted than I thought it did, but it wasn't coherent with it--Dredd lets some kids who are stupid but certainly bad seeds go, then complains when Anderson lets a tortured man-child go free.  Give me some consistency.  Anderson does quit at the end--but it seems clear enough it's because she questions her competence, not her moral standing.[/spoiler]

I dunno.  Just like with class warfare in Dark Knight Rises, post-apocalyptic fascism is just scenery in this movie.  However, I do judge it less harshly for bringing up interesting topics and then dismissing them, because it's more like Predator, or Terminator, or Die Hard, than it is a five hour digression on why it's important a rich man must dress like a bat and be an asshole to his adoptive father.

But you have a point--yes, I'd have liked it less if it were worse; this is trivially obvious.  It's called: a turn of phrase.  If there is a takeaway from the review, I guess don't go in expecting just a truly dumb and pointless but fun! shoot-em-up as I did, but also do not get your hopes up for a great deal meaningful exploration of what it means to be a judge or to live in Mega City One, as I began to about a third of the way through.

Syt: The Raid: Redemption is something I do want to watch.  I understand that it's Dredd without the 80s-vintage science fiction and the flashes of ambition and intellectualism, hence either better, or maybe worse, BUT YOU CAN NEVER KNOW.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Liep

Didn't really expect GoT to premiere at midnight, but it only specified April 1st so I had hoped. When's the US showing scheduled?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

I think it's 8 Eastern tonight.

Sophie Scholl

9pm EST and then again at 10 and 11.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

[spoiler]Good effort, Milton.[/spoiler]

katmai

[spoiler]Carl is hardcore[/spoiler]
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on March 31, 2013, 08:32:11 PM
[spoiler]Carl is hardcore[/spoiler]

lol, no fucking shit, man.

CountDeMoney

Oh, and I totally spooged at the promo for the new season of The Killing in June.  Linden and Holder are back.  Sweet.

katmai

Well now, i think he done did break.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son