News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

So my Dad is closing in on the halfway mark of Season 4 in his All-5-Seasons-Of-Breaking-Bad-In-2-Weeks burnfest;  he totally loves it.
Wants to know what show to devour next;  I recommended Deadwood, and he might do Homeland after that, but right now Netflix only offers the DVDs, and that's a suck ass slow way to do immersion watching.  He may try The Wire after that, but just like everybody else, he felt it slowed down in Season 2 and bailed on it before.  Meh.

Doesn't seem too interested in The Walking Dead, either.  Told him to just watch the first 2 episodes, and then decide.

Any other recommendations I'm not thinking of at the moment?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 01, 2013, 09:57:35 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 01, 2013, 09:52:05 AM
I have no interest in The Walking Dead,

Your loss.

I got bored with both The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 01, 2013, 10:00:22 AM
So my Dad is closing in on the halfway mark of Season 4 in his All-5-Seasons-Of-Breaking-Bad-In-2-Weeks burnfest;  he totally loves it.
Wants to know what show to devour next;  I recommended Deadwood, and he might do Homeland after that, but right now Netflix only offers the DVDs, and that's a suck ass slow way to do immersion watching.  He may try The Wire after that, but just like everybody else, he felt it slowed down in Season 2 and bailed on it before.  Meh.

Doesn't seem too interested in The Walking Dead, either.  Told him to just watch the first 2 episodes, and then decide.

My dad loves Justified, the following on fox and the king of old people shows, NCIS.

I haf to program the DVR.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2013, 10:06:33 AM

Your loss.

I got bored with both The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones.

The zombie thing was so played out eons ago.  Though I did like 28 Days Later.

Haven't tried watching Game of Thrones yet, despite my brother's insistence.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

I do get some enjoyment out of the show.  My wife desperately tried to get me to watch it during the first season or two and then gave up.  So to tease her a bit I'd read up on episode synopses and would start conversations about what happened in recent episodes.  That has convinced her that either everyone I work with is talking about the show (they're not) or I've been watching it behind her back, which in her mind would almost be like cheating on her :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on April 01, 2013, 01:58:51 PM
I do get some enjoyment out of the show.  My wife desperately tried to get me to watch it during the first season or two and then gave up.  So to tease her a bit I'd read up on episode synopses and would start conversations about what happened in recent episodes.  That has convinced her that either everyone I work with is talking about the show (they're not) or I've been watching it behind her back, which in her mind would almost be like cheating on her :D

So she's missed the obvious answer that you are just a weirdo.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sophie Scholl

Firefly->Serenity?  I had my dad watch them and he rather enjoyed them.  They're on Netflix as well.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Scipio

Justified.  The best show on TV.  By far.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Admiral Yi

Saved by the Bell.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on April 01, 2013, 01:50:47 PM

Your loss.

I fail to see why.

Because his lack of interest doesn't prevent me from watching and enjoying the show  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

Quote from: Scipio on April 01, 2013, 04:57:02 PM
Justified.  The best show on TV.  By far.
That's Mad Men.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 01, 2013, 06:01:50 PM
Saved by the Bell.

Which one, smart ass? The original, or the College Years?