Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on March 29, 2013, 10:21:11 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 29, 2013, 09:51:56 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 29, 2013, 09:48:36 PM
For war films there's so many to choose from I'm surprised at the omission, one of may favourites being 'The Train'.
Yep. And the Thin Red Line which is one of my favourite films.

I have not seen that yet.
It's terrible! :angry:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 30, 2013, 01:33:26 AM
Quote from: Viking on March 29, 2013, 10:37:51 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 29, 2013, 10:34:32 PM
I don't recall there being a Ronin 2 or 3.   :homestar:

47 Ronin

Or Ronin 4-46!

(Yeah, didn't notice the 7 before)

Me too. I saw the poster and Keanu Reeves and thought, it's a Ronin sequal, but wondered where the other two Ronin movies were. Direct to DVD? I know about the 47 Ronin but didn't think Americans had anything worthwhile to do in such a movie, The Last Samurai showed me that. This feels a bit like the Hollywood tendency to put black or ethnic people in robin hood and viking movies.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Liep

Danish state tv is either doing a elaborate april's fool or trying to piss off the feminists with their new programme "Blachman"

Concept is that Blachman (our version of the angry x-factor judge) and another old white man sits next to a naked woman (apparently a woman who are somehow involved with creating a "dickless society") and comments on her body and generally about sex. The idea is to recreate the masculine man.

http://www.dr.dk/DR1/xfactor/Artikler/2013/blachman.htm (video is NSFW)
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 30, 2013, 04:53:58 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 29, 2013, 08:54:44 PM
Comedies...hmmm

Dr Strangelove
Most of the sellers Pink Panthers
As Good As it gets
Arthur
Caddyshack
Old School
Clerks
The Hangover
Nappy Dynamite
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
The Big Lebowski
My Cousin Vinney
No Airplane? :yeahright: Shirley you can't be serious.

The list is by no means complete. Was off the top o the head.  ;)
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

We're getting another Machete?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on March 30, 2013, 11:15:52 AM
I have high hopes for Oblivion. Morgan Freeman for the win.

Yeah, I'm a little jazzed for that one, looks cool.

Admiral Yi

Watched the tail end of 3 O'Clock High last night.  The quality of this movie does not need further comment, but I would like to point out one aspect that I had not noticed in previous viewings, and that is how weird the entire student body looks.  With the exception of Teh Hott Chick, Teh Football Player, and our protagonist (who is puny but kind of normal looking) every single student in a back ground shot has a strange misshapen head.

Also caught the first half of The Cutting Edge.  A concussed hockey player (DB Sweeney) gets offered a lot of money to pair figure skate with rich bitch Moira Kelly.  It's teen romantic drivel of course, but Moira Kelly looks absolutely yummy in her little skater outfits (plenty of gratuitous ass shots) and I would have happily watched it to the end but my cable connection frizzed out.

Scipio

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 30, 2013, 01:32:28 PM
Watched the tail end of 3 O'Clock High last night.  The quality of this movie does not need further comment, but I would like to point out one aspect that I had not noticed in previous viewings, and that is how weird the entire student body looks.  With the exception of Teh Hott Chick, Teh Football Player, and our protagonist (who is puny but kind of normal looking) every single student in a back ground shot has a strange misshapen head.

Also caught the first half of The Cutting Edge.  A concussed hockey player (DB Sweeney) gets offered a lot of money to pair figure skate with rich bitch Moira Kelly.  It's teen romantic drivel of course, but Moira Kelly looks absolutely yummy in her little skater outfits (plenty of gratuitous ass shots) and I would have happily watched it to the end but my cable connection frizzed out.
Back before Moira Kelly became known for her portrayal of a shrill, Democrat apparatchik.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

Just saw Showgirls for the first time.

What was up with all the grunting?

And more importantly, what the fuck was up with the last 15 minutes? It was like they said - well we've made an okay, sexually provocative movie - now how can we make sure it ends up in a train wreck?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

'Life's Too Short' the 2013 special, in part built around him and Val Kilmer trying to get 'Willow 2' off the ground.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Dredd (2012).  I liked it quite a bit, but I think I would have liked it more if it had either been slightly less competent, or rather more ambitious.  With a little bit more, it could've gone from a B+ to an A+, easy.  I think the key moment is when Dredd doesn't gun down the fourteen year old kids.  Attempted murder of a judge is death, dude. You said so like five times.  [spoiler]This is made all the stranger when Dredd wilfully risks the lives of like 10,000 people, presumably including children, in the climax. :lol: [/spoiler]  Anyway, Karl Urban is pretty delightful and was refreshingly willing to recede into his part as the faceless law of Mega City One.  Lena Headley is a superb villain as Ma-Ma.  I also enjoyed Olivia Thirlby's Judge Anderson, as well as her psychic abilities; I was iffy about each going in, but both the character and her powers were well-integrated.  The latter a great deal moreso than they were in the other big movie last year to feature psychoflexic gobbedlygook prominently, the mediocre Looper.  I also liked the hard-R violence quite a bit, if the blood was sometimes a little too CGI.  The Slo-Mo scenes are fun, and even Zack Snyder could take some notes on the last one.

But again, however, I was left with the distinct impression of wasted potential.  Could this have been this decade's Blade Runner?  Maybe not, but maybe its Road Warrior.  I needed more fascism.

Dark City (1998).  Am I misremembering (lol get it?), or does this movie end with almost exactly the same imagery, down to the actress, as Requiem For a Dream?  I guess sometimes you get the powers of a God, and sometimes you get your arm hacked off after blowing your vascular system out with too much heroin. On the minus side, no ass to ass to be found here whatsoever. B+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on March 31, 2013, 12:14:18 AM
but I think I would have liked it more if it had either been slightly less competent, or rather more ambitious.

What does this even mean?  Your review does not elaborate upon this concept.  You just put it out there and left it, while you go onto other themes: your comments about the actors were positive, you liked the violence, the slo-mo scenes were fun, et cetera.  So how do we come to the conclusion that "slightly less competent" or "rather more ambitious" would solve the "wasted potential"?

The movie may have delivered, but your movie review did not.  Rewrite, resubmit.  Grade: INCOMPLETE

Syt

Has anything seen The Raid: Redemption?

QuoteA SWAT team becomes trapped in a tenement run by a ruthless mobster and his army of killers and thugs.

It's an Indonesian action film that's getting some pretty good reviews.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on March 31, 2013, 12:51:20 AM
Has anything seen The Raid: Redemption?

QuoteA SWAT team becomes trapped in a tenement run by a ruthless mobster and his army of killers and thugs.

It's an Indonesian action film that's getting some pretty good reviews.

Streetcar rice pudding! :w00t:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.