And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on March 29, 2013, 07:04:55 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 29, 2013, 06:58:53 PM
Last samurai? Awful, and you should feel awful for liking it.

No it wasnt.  :blurgh:

Yes it was. Only thing it had was gatlings.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 29, 2013, 07:06:13 PM

Katanas damn it :D
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

TCM is showing Rossellini movies. Socrates is on now.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 29, 2013, 07:38:32 PM
TCM is showing Rossellini movies. Socrates is on now.

Holy crap, the late '60's hairstyles of ancient Athens.

11B4V

Comedies...hmmm

Dr Strangelove
Most of the sellers Pink Panthers
As Good As it gets
Arthur
Caddyshack
Old School
Clerks
The Hangover
Nappy Dynamite
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
The Big Lebowski
My Cousin Vinney

Ed Anger

11B4V

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 29, 2013, 06:14:43 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 29, 2013, 06:12:50 PM
Dude, there's 250 movies on the list. It ain't gonna be perfect.

If you're going to pick 250 movies, you should make the picks count.  There's some really useless ones in there.

And some very good choices.  The Truman Show and Moon for example.

Spider-Man can be explained as the film that solidified the current superhero movie boom.  I'd have chosen X-Men, but I support the idea.  (Spider-Man 2, by contrast: fuck no.)

But there are some pretty huge problems, as you suggest.  For movies older than 30 years or so, it's pretty apparent the compiler is just choosing either the movies they have personally seen, or the names they could remember.  For example, there is no Dracula (even though it sucks), Frankenstein, Bride thereof, or The Invisible Man aren't on it, despite their immense influence and success, presumably because dude felt the bases were covered with Nosferatu and King Kong. :rolleyes:  And Shaolin Soccer makes the cut, but the only silent comedies are Chaplins... no The General, no College, no Young Sherlock, etc.  Fuck you!  Same deal with the animation section... no Fantasia, no Snow White, hell, not even a Secret of Nimh.  And Steamboat Willie is like seven minutes long.  If that, why not One Froggy Evening, or What's Opera, Doc? or whatever.  But... Mulan. :unsure:

I mean, I liked Mulan too, but I dunno if I'd call it "essential."  Not even more essential than its near-contemporaries, and greater successes, like The Little Mermaid or Aladdin.  If you like Mulan more, that's fine, but that's an idiosyncrasy, not objective assessment.

Oh, also, who didn't love that rollicking adventure film, Seven?  Don't you remember all your childhood games of Ritualistic Torture Murder?  I always wanted to be Detective Somerset, but the black kid from across the street said it was racist!
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 29, 2013, 07:07:36 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 29, 2013, 07:07:01 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 29, 2013, 07:06:13 PM

Katanas damn it :D

Go watch Ran then.

I like the part in Rashoman where Toshiro Mifune and the other guy are fighting and practically pissing themselves because they're so terrified of getting their heads lopped off.  It's might be the shittiest fight, and hence one of the most realistic, in screen history.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 29, 2013, 06:24:38 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 29, 2013, 06:14:43 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 29, 2013, 06:12:50 PM
Dude, there's 250 movies on the list. It ain't gonna be perfect.

If you're going to pick 250 movies, you should make the picks count.  There's some really useless ones in there.

And that's true every time. Only way to be satisfied with a list like this is to make it yourself.

The typical reaction is to focus on the choices one disagrees with and dismiss the list as terrible, but after having seen this process dozens of times, I've come to be more accepting. Blair Witch Project is a terrible choice, but it doesn't make the entire list terrible.

Oh, yeah, I meant to say that Blair Witch was a good choice.  Like it or lump it, it's been tremendously influential.  It belongs on a great/essential films list.  I think Metropolis sucks unbathed balls, but I understand why it's on lists like these.
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 29, 2013, 06:24:38 PM
And that's true every time. Only way to be satisfied with a list like this is to make it yourself.

The typical reaction is to focus on the choices one disagrees with and dismiss the list as terrible, but after having seen this process dozens of times, I've come to be more accepting. Blair Witch Project is a terrible choice, but it doesn't make the entire list terrible.

:yes:

It's a pretty good list.

Ideologue

Quote from: 11B4V on March 29, 2013, 11:33:39 AM
Using the same number of movies in the western category.

Unforgiven

Own it, haven't watched it yet.

QuoteOnce upon a time in the west

Really long, but want to see it.

QuoteMan who shot liberty Valance

Love that song.

QuoteGood, Bad, Ugly

Fucking amazing.  I can't believe I'd avoided seeing it till a few months ago.  It was No Country For Old Men and True Grit (the newer one) and The Magnificent Seven afterward what turned me on to the genre, but this solidified my interest.

QuoteTrue Grit

Old one?  Should see it.  Have not.

QuoteMag Seven

Great, but could've been improved by the simple addition of Charlton Heston.

QuoteDead Man

Own it, seen it a couple of times, but not recently.  Rather excellent.

QuotePale Rider

Want to see it a lot.

I should probably watch the other ones on your list, as well. :)
Kinemalogue

Sheilbh

Made a friend watch Funny Games. He enjoyed it.

I love the recent mini-renaissance of Westerns.
Let's bomb Russia!