And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 29, 2013, 09:42:43 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 29, 2013, 09:41:03 PM
I suggest each Languishite spend the next 3 hours coming up with their own favourites list.   :D
Done :P

Well post it, myself I don't have that degree of concentration this late.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on March 29, 2013, 09:38:04 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 29, 2013, 09:27:42 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 29, 2013, 09:23:09 PM
Dude watch Unforgiven and Pale Rider. Both excellent.

True Grit, I like the new one better, just preference really. I would count the entry as interchanable with old/new.
I didnt think Wayne made a convicing drunk. Felt like he was forcing it too much. I feel Bridges blew him away. IMO Wayne was more at home in roles like The Searchers or The Shootist.

Pale Rider was a minor dose of pooh.  And I should know, I paid to see it.

The Searchers, now that was a movie. My favorite John Wayne flick.

After The Green Berets: A Nixon Campaign Production, of course.

I bet you hate Top Gun too.

I'll watch The Blue Max any day over Top Gun.   :D
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on March 29, 2013, 09:39:37 PM

You can be my wing man any day. :wub:

:)

Quote from: CdMYou're everyone's problem. That's because every time you write a movie review, you're unsafe. I don't like you because you're dangerous.

:lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

If anybody suggests Flyboys, I will punch them in the nuts.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Or Red Tails: A George Lucas Joint. :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on March 29, 2013, 09:44:55 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 29, 2013, 09:27:42 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 29, 2013, 09:23:09 PM
Dude watch Unforgiven and Pale Rider. Both excellent.

True Grit, I like the new one better, just preference really. I would count the entry as interchanable with old/new.
I didnt think Wayne made a convicing drunk. Felt like he was forcing it too much. I feel Bridges blew him away. IMO Wayne was more at home in roles like The Searchers or The Shootist.

Pale Rider was a minor dose of pooh.  And I should know, I paid to see it.

The Searchers, now that was a movie. My favorite John Wayne flick.

After The Green Berets: A Nixon Campaign Production, of course.

I'll watch The Blue Max any day over Top Gun.   :D

Agreed.

For war films there's so many to choose from I'm surprised at the omission, one of my favourites being 'The Train'.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Quote from: mongers on March 29, 2013, 09:41:03 PM
As others have pointed out, that list has too many omissions and reads like some whose only been watching movies for 10-12 years.
Lots missed out, which is why it can't be 'essential'. 
Now if they'd called it 'My favourite films, a 20something's view'

Personally, you can't have an definitive/'essential'/greatest movie list, it can only be well, personal. 

I suggest each Languishite spend the next 3 hours coming up with their own favourites list.   :D

I made a list at work the other day when I the whole project was called into a meeting that didn't impact my team.  (Two of my coworkers also made lists, independently and of an unrelated nature, one of favorite baseball players and the other of states.  I think we might have caught the autistism. :Embarrass: )  I did realize that my top ten were largely movies from my lifetime, excluding iirc Lawrence of Arabia and The Invisible Man, and I felt bad.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on March 29, 2013, 09:48:36 PM
For war films there's so many to choose from I'm surprised at the omission, one of may favourites being 'The Train'.
Yep. And the Thin Red Line which is one of my favourite films.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 29, 2013, 09:44:27 PM

You're everyone's problem. That's because every time you write a movie review, you're unsafe. I don't like you because you're dangerous.

:cool:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 29, 2013, 09:51:56 PM
For war films there's so many to choose from I'm surprised at the omission, one of may favourites being 'The Train'.
The Melanesian choir can make me tear up instantly. Did you like The New World?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

11B4V

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 29, 2013, 09:51:56 PM

I have not seen that yet.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

Quote from: 11B4V on March 29, 2013, 10:21:11 PM
I have not seen that yet.
It's not entirely a conventional war film but it is a really very, very good film.

But I've got a bit of a soft spot for war films that aren't really conventional war films (Life and Death of Colonel Blimp springs to mind) or war films that are set on the home front. Where war isn't necessarily the setting it's just the overwhelming fact of the film.

Edit: The Thin Red Line is far more of a classic war film than those.

Edit: Or Casablanca the best non-war war film :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

11B4V

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo for the love of God. :mad:

11B4V

Eddie Teach

I don't recall there being a Ronin 2 or 3.   :homestar:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?