News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

I'm all Timmayed about The Lone Ranger.  Better not fuck it up, Disney.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 29, 2013, 10:37:13 PM

Hopefully Depp can pull it off.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 29, 2013, 10:34:32 PM
I don't recall there being a Ronin 2 or 3.   :homestar:

They are going to fuck it up with that matrix twat.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on March 29, 2013, 10:39:17 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 29, 2013, 10:37:13 PM

Hopefully Depp can pull it off.

I'm not concerned about him; he can pull anything off.  I just hope it's not a fucked up storyline.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: 11B4V on March 29, 2013, 10:21:11 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 29, 2013, 09:51:56 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 29, 2013, 09:48:36 PM
For war films there's so many to choose from I'm surprised at the omission, one of may favourites being 'The Train'.
Yep. And the Thin Red Line which is one of my favourite films.

I have not seen that yet.

It sucks.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 30, 2013, 01:42:54 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 29, 2013, 10:21:11 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 29, 2013, 09:51:56 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 29, 2013, 09:48:36 PM
For war films there's so many to choose from I'm surprised at the omission, one of may favourites being 'The Train'.
Yep. And the Thin Red Line which is one of my favourite films.

I have not seen that yet.

It sucks.

This. So very this.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I saw Thin Red Line in the theater when it came out (last movie I recall seeing that had an intermission). It was marketed a bit as Saving Private Ryan with all those stars in the Pacific, and I went in with that expectation. Hated it.

Caught it a few years later on TV and enjoyed it a lot more. It's now one of my favorite war movies (though it's more meditation than war).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I've been playing a bit of Empire: Total War with the DarthMod recently. One of the songs on loading screens is Händel's 'Lascia ch'io pianga' from 'Rinaldo'. Which gives me flashbacks to the opening of Antichrist with Willem Defoe and Charlotte Gainsbourg fucking in slow motion while she watches their son fall to his death.

Thank you, Lars von Trier.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Not sure, either. I've seen the movie twice - that opening scene is - cinematically - stunningly beautiful, but that doesn't mean I need constant flashbacks of it. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Easter TV program sucks. Even twenty or so years ago, it was usually the Holiday to show overlong monumental movies: Ten Commandments, Ben Hur, El Cid, The Robe, Dr. Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia, maybe a 4 hour Italo-German version the Nibelungs from the 1960s for breakfast etc.

Now it's Twilight, Pirates of the Carribean: At the Ass End of the World, "reality" shows and crappy made for TV romance movies. Many stations just run their usual Sunday program on Easter Sunday. :bleeding:
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on March 29, 2013, 08:54:44 PM
Comedies...hmmm

Dr Strangelove
Most of the sellers Pink Panthers
As Good As it gets
Arthur
Caddyshack
Old School
Clerks
The Hangover
Nappy Dynamite
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
The Big Lebowski
My Cousin Vinney
No Airplane? :yeahright: Shirley you can't be serious.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point