And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 24, 2013, 02:52:50 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 24, 2013, 01:22:17 PM
In Time (2011).  What if Andrew Niccol remade his early masterpiece Gattaca, and it wasn't very good?

It was alright. Not worth 10 paragraphs thinking about though.

Same, it was just OK.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Viking on March 24, 2013, 12:56:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 24, 2013, 10:02:23 AM
Quote from: Viking on March 22, 2013, 09:33:55 PM
I'm also a bit baffled how it's always the open atheists who end up playing god in movies.

Alanis played God and she isn't really an atheist. :goodboy:

QuotePersonal life

Morissette was raised in a devout Roman Catholic family, and now practices Buddhism.[citation needed]

So, yeah, her to.

(and if you are going to argue that being a Buddhist means she isn't an atheist you are wrong, If necessary I'll quote the Dali Lama at you)
In Hollywood practicing Buddhism is pretty much like those frozen yogurt places and cupcake stands.  A fad.
PDH!

Viking

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 24, 2013, 04:53:11 PMIn Hollywood practicing Buddhism is pretty much like those frozen yogurt places and cupcake stands.  A fad.

still, not a theist
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

11B4V

Anyone following Grant vs. Lee or To Appomattox mini series due out this year. Some of the actor chioces.... :huh:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 24, 2013, 02:52:50 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 24, 2013, 01:22:17 PM
In Time (2011).  What if Andrew Niccol remade his early masterpiece Gattaca, and it wasn't very good?

It was alright. Not worth 10 paragraphs thinking about though.

Andrew Niccol turning in a film of mediocrity instead of an A+ wondermovie, especially upon return to the genre that made him, is worth thinking about at length.  I mean, I didn't make any comparisons in the write-up, because it's been so long since I've seen it, but even S1m0ne was much better.

It's even more relevant, because The Host comes out Friday.  I'm hoping In Time was the fluke, not the new baseline for Niccol's second decade making movies.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Quote from: Viking on March 22, 2013, 09:38:25 PM
You'll vote for anybody who looks good on tv and hasn't said or done anything of consequence.

That explains pretty much every US President of my lifetime except Johnson, Nixon, Ford, and maybe Bush the Elder.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on March 24, 2013, 05:10:50 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 24, 2013, 04:53:11 PMIn Hollywood practicing Buddhism is pretty much like those frozen yogurt places and cupcake stands.  A fad.

still, not a theist

Eh... Buddhism has gods.  They just have a different name.  Either way it's not the strict materialism of an Atheist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Gotta say I didn't see that coming on the walking dead.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on March 24, 2013, 10:22:14 PM

still, not a theist

Eh... Buddhism has gods.  They just have a different name.  Either way it's not the strict materialism of an Atheist.

I know I shouldn't but seriously, you neither know what Buddhism is or a Bodhisattva is they are not gods, they are enlightened souls, they are more like the Operating Thetans of scientology than objects of apotheosis. Secondly Atheism only says anything about a deity, nothing else, you don't need to be a materialist to be an atheist, but it helps.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

The Ten Commandments up to the intermission.  Don't anybody spoil this for me.  It's just getting good. :joos:

Seriously, a fucking amazing movie.  They just don't make these anymore.  A Noah movie?  Unsalable.  Evan Almighty?  WHERE DO I DELIVER YOUR CHECK, YOU GENIUS?

I guess the last gasp of the mass audience Biblical epic was either Prince of Egypt or The Passion of the Christ, and The Passion of the Christ... actually, I'd say about roughly as suitable for children as the G-rated Ten Commandments, which features child genocide in its first scene, then numerous murders, chattel slavery, industrial accidents involving an old woman almost getting crushed beneath a ten-ton stone block, at least one implicit suggestion of rape, numerous explicit suggestions of rape, torture, mass human misery, and in the next part child genocide again. :lol:

Also, I love love love love the credits--"based upon the HOLY SCRIPTURES and other ancient and modern writings."  Classic.

And Charlton Heston?  Has there ever been a brighter star to grace our silver screens?  Outstanding.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Buddhism doesn't just mean one thing. Some buddhists are definitely theists, some probably not.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 24, 2013, 11:21:56 PM
Buddhism doesn't just mean one thing. Some buddhists are definitely theists, some probably not.

I think Moses could kick any given Buddhist's ass.
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on March 24, 2013, 10:56:40 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 24, 2013, 10:22:14 PM

still, not a theist

I know I shouldn't but seriously, you neither know what Buddhism is or a Bodhisattva is they are not gods, they are enlightened souls, they are more like the Operating Thetans of scientology than objects of apotheosis. Secondly Atheism only says anything about a deity, nothing else, you don't need to be a materialist to be an atheist, but it helps.

If you want to consider the veneration and propitiation of powerful supernatural beings that were often worshiped as gods, (for example Hercules http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ni%C5%8D  or Indra http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%9Aakra_%28Buddhism%29 . prior to Buddhism inline with atheism, you go ahead.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on March 24, 2013, 10:53:30 PM
Gotta say I didn't see that coming on the walking dead.

Yeah, that was certainly a role reversal out of left field.