And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on March 24, 2013, 10:22:14 PM
Quote from: Viking on March 24, 2013, 05:10:50 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 24, 2013, 04:53:11 PMIn Hollywood practicing Buddhism is pretty much like those frozen yogurt places and cupcake stands.  A fad.

still, not a theist

Eh... Buddhism has gods.  They just have a different name.  Either way it's not the strict materialism of an Atheist.
For the love of god, don't get Viking talking about religion.  Even if he's wrong, correcting him isn't worth the consequences.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on March 24, 2013, 11:20:24 PM
The Ten Commandments up to the intermission.  Don't anybody spoil this for me.  It's just getting good. :joos:

Seriously, a fucking amazing movie.  They just don't make these anymore.  A Noah movie?  Unsalable.  Evan Almighty?  WHERE DO I DELIVER YOUR CHECK, YOU GENIUS?

I guess the last gasp of the mass audience Biblical epic was either Prince of Egypt or The Passion of the Christ, and The Passion of the Christ... actually, I'd say about roughly as suitable for children as the G-rated Ten Commandments, which features child genocide in its first scene, then numerous murders, chattel slavery, industrial accidents involving an old woman almost getting crushed beneath a ten-ton stone block, at least one implicit suggestion of rape, numerous explicit suggestions of rape, torture, mass human misery, and in the next part child genocide again. :lol:

Also, I love love love love the credits--"based upon the HOLY SCRIPTURES and other ancient and modern writings."  Classic.

And Charlton Heston?  Has there ever been a brighter star to grace our silver screens?  Outstanding.

:)

Now wash it down with BEN HUR.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on March 24, 2013, 05:10:50 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 24, 2013, 04:53:11 PMIn Hollywood practicing Buddhism is pretty much like those frozen yogurt places and cupcake stands.  A fad.

still, not a theist
A devout practitioner of Mahayana Buddhism is certainly a theist by an conventional definition of the term. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

The buddhism fad was yeaaaaarrrrrrrs ago.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Viking on March 24, 2013, 12:56:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 24, 2013, 10:02:23 AM
Quote from: Viking on March 22, 2013, 09:33:55 PM
I'm also a bit baffled how it's always the open atheists who end up playing god in movies.

Alanis played God and she isn't really an atheist. :goodboy:

QuotePersonal life

Morissette was raised in a devout Roman Catholic family, and now practices Buddhism.[citation needed]

So, yeah, her to.

(and if you are going to argue that being a Buddhist means she isn't an atheist you are wrong, If necessary I'll quote the Dali Lama at you)

I think her religious beliefs are a bit more complex than that. When I saw her speak last fall, she spoke several times about God though referred to her as a she.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on March 22, 2013, 09:33:55 PM
I'm also a bit baffled how it's always the open atheists who end up playing god in movies.

Why is that baffling? I would imagine playing god would seem either sacrilegous/blasphemous (if that was their own god) or heretical/idol-worshipping (if it was someone else's god) to many religious people.

lustindarkness

OZ the Great & Powerful, good movie, well done, liked it a lot.

To those talking shit about the Fast and Furius movies a few pages back. They are entertaining movies, not works of art.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 25, 2013, 12:56:38 PM
To those talking shit about the Fast and Furius movies a few pages back. They are entertaining movies, not works of art.

Vin Diesel is an abomination that must be stopped.  Same goes for destroying American muscle cars, a precious and increasingly rare resource that needs to be preserved.

garbon

So double fail as they also fail to entertain? :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 25, 2013, 01:01:18 PM

Vin Diesel is an abomination that must be stopped.  Same goes for destroying American muscle cars, a precious and increasingly rare resource that needs to be preserved.

That is reason enough.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

lustindarkness

The new Fast and Furious 6 movie trailer shows a Cuda, I sure hope they do not destroy it.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Queequeg

Quote from: Viking on March 24, 2013, 12:56:44 PM

So, yeah, her to.

(and if you are going to argue that being a Buddhist means she isn't an atheist you are wrong, If necessary I'll quote
the Dali Lama at you)

You're an idiot. The Dalai Lama doesn't repesent 10% of the Mahayana Buddhist population.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

viper37

Quote from: garbon on March 25, 2013, 01:02:51 PM

So double fail as they also fail to entertain? :(
I was entertained. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

I realize most of you hateful anti-religious types that read too much in college like to fling pooh at great length over any discussion involving religion, but this is the TVMovies thread.

Tonitrus

I didn't see what happened in the recent Walking Dead as that big of a shock, after all [spoiler]Merle was bound to go out sooner or later, and he got in much more a blaze of glory than I would have anticipated.  Daryl is going on a Governor-manhunt for sure, tho.[/spoiler]