Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

[spoiler]Elle est attacher sur la chaise.[/spoiler]
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 18, 2013, 10:49:14 AM
[spoiler]Elle est attacher sur la chaise.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]la chaise du torture.[ governor has her chained up in the torture room.[/spoiler]
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: viper37 on March 18, 2013, 02:31:34 PM
Thansk GF and Josephus :)

But it was a really cool camera shot;  you should catch it.

CountDeMoney

So I caught Dead Man Down at the local ubermegaRomneyplex, mainly because I didn't feel like watching The Call with everybody else, and I missed the IMAX showing for the Oz movie.

All In all, not a bad gangster-revenge thriller, with just enough style twists to almost--almost--overcome the cliches and predictable plot.  There are some pacing issues--think the pacing issues of Hanna--but at least these surround bona fide attempts to create more than two dimensional characters and an actual attempt to overlap plots without intentionally insulting the audience. 

The ending, of course, destroys everything that Niels Oplev tries to create throughout the film--which is trying to make it more of a psychological thriller than generic gangster shooter--but I attribute that more to the demands of the do-it-our-way-or-you'll-never-work-in-this-town-again Hollywood producers rather than any real choices on the director's part in a first North American attempt.  Niels deserved better support.

There are enough quirky and touching moments, particularly on the part of Noomi Rapace and the writing that revolves around her, to make you remember that you've watched Colin Farrell in worse movies.

So, for its sincere attempts at nuance and some stylish Scandaweenian touches within the writing and the plot(s) to attempt to make it at least just a little different than the usual fare for the audience, I give it a solid 3 out of 5 Dragon Tattoos In Your Future Netflix Queue, 1 of which was for effort.

Duque de Bragança

[spoiler]Elle est attachée sur la chaise.[/spoiler]

Grammaire de Kevin... :rolleyes:

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

All Danes have 8 and a half fingers.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Liep

The latest Spise med Price where they make all the classics from the Danish sausage van. Cowboytoast. :mmm:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 18, 2013, 06:57:13 PM
[spoiler]Elle est attachée sur la chaise.[/spoiler]

Grammaire de Kevin... :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: La bataille est deja perdu.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

I watched the first episode of Shameless UK and (in comparison to US 1st episode) I was struck again about how much better US TV production values are.  Also (and I think this aims from the US series being able to analyze the UK episodes / build upon them), Fiona's lines are a bit underdeveloped in the UK pilot which makes her seem flat/stale compared to her US counterpart.  She also doesn't look very glamorous when in the club - basically looks like the same person tarted up.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Vikings ep 4:

I enjoyed it. They are fleshing out earl whatever and blonde girl's grunting during the fight gave me an erection.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on March 20, 2013, 08:50:35 AM
I watched the first episode of Shameless UK and (in comparison to US 1st episode) I was struck again about how much better US TV production values are.  Also (and I think this aims from the US series being able to analyze the UK episodes / build upon them), Fiona's lines are a bit underdeveloped in the UK pilot which makes her seem flat/stale compared to her US counterpart.  She also doesn't look very glamorous when in the club - basically looks like the same person tarted up.

The US version is generally considered superior.