News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 21, 2013, 09:50:36 AM
I watched Jaws with my daughter yesterday, she loved it.
She only lost interest in my favorite part where Quint tells the story about the Indianapolis. Understandable for an 8 year old.

Was she cool with the eyeball scene, the floating leg scene, and the morgue scene?

lustindarkness

She said she will stay in the shallow water.  :lol:
She did fine, I explained this movie was done in 1975 and there was no CGI, it was a mechanical shark and good camera work, she was surprised. Said it was well done and it seemed real, including when Quint was chomped on.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

sbr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 21, 2013, 08:08:57 AM
Quote from: sbr on February 21, 2013, 01:40:32 AM
Elisabeth shue is on CSI now?  Yummy, I might have to start watching.

She got old, man.  It's been a long time since Adventures in Babysitting.

I fell in love with her 3 years before that, in Karate Kid.  Of all of the women I have been in love with for the last 29 years, she has aged the best by far.

EDIT:  And much better than me.  :Embarrass:

Admiral Yi

Was she the chick in Leaving Las Vegas?

sbr

sbr

Though no matter how much I like Elisabeth shue, Danny's little Japanese love interest in karate kid 2 was much hotter.

Ideologue

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 21, 2013, 09:50:36 AM
I watched Jaws with my daughter yesterday, she loved it.
She only lost interest in my favorite part where Quint tells the story about the Indianapolis. Understandable for an 8 year old.

I like Jaws alright but it's not very scary.  Problem: shark is in the ocean.  Short-term solution: stay out of the ocean.  Long-term solution: create an ocean anoxic event, eliminate all sharks forever.  The Brodies could've sat back and waited for global warming to do its stuff. :cool:

One of my favorite throwaway Venture Bros. jokes is Colonel Gentleman building a model of the U.S.S. Indianapolis, complete with sharks.  On the back of his dog.

Quote from: NeilIt's one of those modern shock-horror movies.  You should have known better.  They've never made a good one.

I don't know what means.  It arguably over-reliant on jump scares, but I will admit that I have a higher threshold for acceptable number of jump scares than most.  But almost all horror movies, old and new, rely in part on jump scares.  Jaws relies in part on jump scares.  Except, again, shark =/= scary, fake Mesopotamian deity = scary.  (By corollary, Ghostbusters is scarier than Jaws.)  Sinister also gets credit in that none of the jump scares are wholly innocuous, i.e. the proverbial cat in the cupboard.  More importantly, I felt it established a good claustrophobic and isolated atmosphere (if a bit unaccountably dark, but see also virtually every horror movie ever made*), and had an excellent core premise.  Sure it's got some flaws, at least two of which are very stupid, should have been easily avoided, and might sink the movie for some (I guess they did for Spellus), but I was happy to overlook them, and overall Sinister struck me as rather old-fashioned in its basic construction, both in plot and aesthetic.

*With some notable exceptions, such as The Woman, the worst bits of which happen on the most beautiful, clear and sunny day you'd have any right to expect.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on February 21, 2013, 01:58:28 PM
I like Jaws alright but it's not very scary.  Problem: shark is in the ocean.  Short-term solution: stay out of the ocean.

Then you're letting the terrorist win. :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Kleves

Hey, Ide, when are the Venture Bros. coming back? It's been like 2 years since the last new* episode.

* Not counting the Halloween one, which was crummy.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Ideologue

It was a little crummy.  Started out way funny (ketchup and Pepsi BLOOD!) but rapidly became one of the VBs' more mauldin and static outings, which can work in the context of a season--and iirc the Halloween episode was initially just that, a season 5 episodes--but as a standalone it fell flat.  As a virtual resurrection after two years of silence, especially, you'd expect more, you know?  (Edit: Also, it focused on Dean, which seems to be a form of self-harm for any Venture Bros. episode, though he is arguably becoming more tolerable.)

Anyway, I think they still have not officially announced the date of return, but Jackson Publick has said they're almost done and that season 5 should begin as early as the end of March or as late as mid-May.  Given that management and logistics for the entire program seem to be vested in approximately two people, I'm expecting June. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 21, 2013, 10:40:11 AM
She said she will stay in the shallow water.  :lol:
She did fine, I explained this movie was done in 1975 and there was no CGI, it was a mechanical shark and good camera work, she was surprised. Said it was well done and it seemed real, including when Quint was chomped on.

I suggest that you not watch A Serbian Movie with her.

Ideologue

Might be a good idea.  If so, she'll stay in the shallow part of the Balkans, and not go east or south of Slovenia.  Those aren't places where children should go, after all, and even adults should venture there only with extreme caution and air supremacy.
Kinemalogue

dps

Quote from: sbr on February 21, 2013, 10:46:03 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 21, 2013, 08:08:57 AM

Elisabeth shue is on CSI now?  Yummy, I might have to start watching.

She got old, man.  It's been a long time since Adventures in Babysitting.

Given that she is essentially Marge Helgenberger's replacement, it appears that the casting director likes his hot women on the mature side.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: sbr on February 21, 2013, 10:46:03 AM

I fell in love with her 3 years before that, in Karate Kid.  Of all of the women I have been in love with for the last 29 years, she has aged the best by far.

EDIT:  And much better than me.  :Embarrass:

She was already 21 in Karate Kid. That means she's 50 now. Not bad if you ask me.

Kate Beckinsale is 40 and looks awesome. I bet she'll be that way too.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers