News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Glenn seems to have his shit together more than Rick at this point.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 19, 2013, 12:17:55 AM
Glenn seems to have his shit together more than Rick at this point.

I wouldn't necessarily debate that.  At least Glenn had the balls to [spoiler]think about going back with Michonne and assassinate the Gov. At least he sees her value in staying with the group.[/spoiler]
But I think Rick woke up a bit at the end of that last episode.  [spoiler]Nothing like a zombie car bomb to shake the cobwebs loose.  :lol:[/spoiler]

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on February 19, 2013, 09:16:28 AM
That was brilliant.  :lol:

If you liked that, check out his other reviews. Arthouse can be truly disturbing. I especially liked his crossover with Cinema Snob, looking at "Tromeo & Juliet", my favorite Troma movie.

Speaking of Cinema Snob, he reviewed Alice in Wonderland: An X-Rated Musical Fantasy (nudity censored for the review, so somewhat SFW). :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2013, 12:06:42 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 18, 2013, 10:16:47 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 18, 2013, 02:16:46 AM
Glenn [spoiler]is acting like a teenager that's never had pussy before.  He's getting on my nerves.  Better man the fuck up.[/spoiler]

That's because that's what he is.

Well, it's a whole new world.  If Carl can man up and shoot his own mother, then Glenn can get over his hang ups.

Yes and looks like he will. Don't fault him because the writers forgot to grow him up over the last winter.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Walking Dead - [spoiler]Nice to  see stormtrooper marksmanship affecting good guys and bad guys equally for once. Except when it comes to zombies, head shots every time.
The Governor's attack was pretty stupid though. So he comes in and gets an awesome head shot meaning no more criminals- which is a shame, would have been nice to see the creepy convict developed a bit, looked set for him and Daryl getting into fisticuffs over the old-looking-but-actually-a-similar-age-to-Daryl woman. But anyway. The attack. The zombie truck goes in and the super armoured guy driving it runs away....shouldn't the Governor have pressed his attack at that point rather than retreating? The zombies are no threat alone, perfect for flushing people out of hiding spots though. That really was a perfect time to attack.
What happened to the new guys? Didn't see them at all, they're just in storage....
.[/spoiler]
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on February 19, 2013, 10:27:39 AM
Walking Dead - [spoiler]Nice to  see stormtrooper marksmanship affecting good guys and bad guys equally for once. Except when it comes to zombies, head shots every time.
The Governor's attack was pretty stupid though. So he comes in and gets an awesome head shot meaning no more criminals- which is a shame, would have been nice to see the creepy convict developed a bit, looked set for him and Daryl getting into fisticuffs over the old-looking-but-actually-a-similar-age-to-Daryl woman. But anyway. The attack. The zombie truck goes in and the super armoured guy driving it runs away....shouldn't the Governor have pressed his attack at that point rather than retreating? The zombies are no threat alone, perfect for flushing people out of hiding spots though. That really was a perfect time to attack.
[spoiler]
Yeah, but that seemed more of a "warning" attack than anything else.  If the governor was going to take the prison, he'd have brought more troops.  And considering the Governor's sinister side, I'd say this attack was more in line with his personality:  just a warning, folks.  The next time, it's for real.  In the meantime, here's a zombie car bomb to think about.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]
Now, what killed me was that you know the Governor's coming, and yet you're all lollygagging around outside in the open like it's a spring day without a care in the world.  Pretty stupid.
[/spoiler]
Quote[spoiler]What happened to the new guys? Didn't see them at all, they're just in storage.....[/spoiler]

[spoiler]They ran off the last episode, so I'm assuming they're still out in the wilderness, or off in another part of the prison. But I bet they're nearby. [/spoiler]

Ideologue

Sinister (2012) came out today, so I picked it up.  I reviewed it already, but if I gave it a B+, I was wrong, it's an A and arguably an A+.  Besides bringing pretty effective supernatural horror, the decision to wrap its genre nature (or, genrosity) around the character study of a morally compromised asshole with a great capacity for self-deception, played by one of the most compelling actors of our generation, elevates it above similar fare.  Though I'm always an easy mark for a haunted house movie, this one has a lot of rewatchability thanks to Ethan Hawke.  The use of wildly varying different media to tell the story is also worth a quick note--from 8mm to 35mm, from ground-up VHS to miraculously crisp Skype.

Sinister--a great movie, not just a good movie, and along with Moonrise Kingdom and Django Unchained one of the three crown jewels of the movies I got a chance to see in 2012.

P.S. according to the commentary, cinema's worst last shot, and my biggest problem with the movie, turns out to have been inspired by a studio note--unsurprising.  I did appreciate the reasons that director Scott Derrickson, who had final cut, gave for acceding to their wishes.  I'm not convinced by them--and I won't go into details so as to avoid spoilers--but he did understand what he did.  He thought it was a good idea, I think it turned out to be a bad idea, but he did think about it--which I appreciate.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on February 19, 2013, 07:01:25 PM
played by one of the most compelling actors of our generation,

Ethan Hawke?  Really?

This is why I made my Axis list.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2013, 07:04:18 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 19, 2013, 07:01:25 PM
played by one of the most compelling actors of our generation,

Ethan Hawke?  Really?

This is why I made my Axis list.

OH MY FUCKING GOD EXPLORERS

:P

Also amazing lead performances in Tape, Training Day, and Gattaca, and reportedly in some other movies that I haven't gotten a chance to watch (e.g., the Before Sunset series).

I don't get the Ethan Hawke hate.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on February 19, 2013, 07:13:18 PM

He's a serviceable actor, but not "one of the most compelling of our generation".  OCN

Well, maybe your generation, which is just as plastic and transparent as he is.

katmai

Ide compels me to beat him with a bloody cricket bat.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

HVC

Quote from: katmai on February 19, 2013, 08:16:31 PM
Too soon!

And as for tony's little brother i can't even think of any role that he's memberable in.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Viking

Quote from: katmai on February 19, 2013, 08:16:31 PM

Before or after shooting them while legless?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2013, 08:14:25 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 19, 2013, 07:13:18 PM

He's a serviceable actor, but not "one of the most compelling of our generation".  OCN

Well, maybe your generation, which is just as plastic and transparent as he is.

Hell, Ide hes good, but I'd put Jude Law ahead of him.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".