News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Tried watching the 1994 adaptation of The Stand.  Couldn't keep watching.  Molly Ringwald is truly terrible, and the guy playing Flagg is nowhere near as terrifying as he should be.  Also hugely cheesy in places. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

mongers

This evening's 'Top Gear' was good, included a 'sketch' involving Matt LeBlanc, Eric Clapton and Bruce Willis.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Watched a few minutes of escape from LA last night.  Never realized what a low budget Ed Wood schlockfest it was.  Clearly they blew their budget on Ken Russel, Stacey Keach and the Vulcan chick and had about 12 bucks left over for CGI, stunts, and explosions.

Josquius

Quote from: Queequeg on February 17, 2013, 03:40:43 PM
Tried watching the 1994 adaptation of The Stand.  Couldn't keep watching.  Molly Ringwald is truly terrible, and the guy playing Flagg is nowhere near as terrifying as he should be.  Also hugely cheesy in places. 
That was my experience when reading the book. Got so far but then the supernatural idiocy really kicked in.
Damn you Steven King, you get to have one suspension of disbelief per book. You can't have a mega plague, an alien invasion or whathaveyou then go "Oh, and btw! The main characters? They all have psychic powers!"
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

While channel surfing I see that Mel Gibson's "The Patriot" is playing on...BBC America.

Are Brits really THAT self-loathing?  :P

Ed Anger

Considering most of their programming is shit, I don't blame them.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Dr. Who sucks donkey balls.

Viking

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 17, 2013, 08:36:59 PM
Dr. Who sucks donkey balls.

Not remotely as much as The Patriot sucks donkey balls.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 17, 2013, 08:35:54 PM

I remember BBCA showing good stuff when it first came out.  Now, it's just TLC showing what are probably the worst BBC shows, and a bunch of retreaded American (way too much Star Trek TNG on there).

If only they actually showed a wider variety of BBC's stuff.

mongers

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 17, 2013, 08:40:19 PM

I remember BBCA showing good stuff when it first came out.  Now, it's just TLC showing what are probably the worst BBC shows, and a bunch of retreaded American (way too much Star Trek TNG on there).

I'd guess it's because they now know a lot of the quality programming can be sold on dvd worldwide to people who can't access their UK based terrestrial broadcasts.

I'm happy as that extra revenue stream keeps our tv license down a bit, after all we're directly paying for it.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

dps

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 17, 2013, 08:40:19 PM

The problem is that BBC America isn't actually part of the BBC;  they just license the use of the name and have to buy their programs just like everybody else, and the best British shows are a bit expensive for them because they're just a niche network.

Still, it's galling when they bill themselves as "The Best of British TV" and then show old American SF shows.

Josquius

BBC America is owned by the beeb iirc. Mad if they show a lot of American TV though.
██████
██████
██████

katmai

Uh it's owned by BBC Worldwide so not sure what you mean dps.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: Tyr on February 17, 2013, 11:05:53 PM
BBC America is owned by the beeb iirc. Mad if they show a lot of American TV though.

They don't really, except for hard on for Star Trek reruns.

Like today it was the patriot yes, but it was Ripper St, Graham Norton and Top Gear episodes.
Tomorrow is Top Gear Monday which means deluge of  past seasons episodes and then the new season episode one week behind it's airing in UK
Ramsey behind bars, Dominic Monahgan Wild adventures etc..
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son