News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 28, 2012, 01:43:30 PM
Trying to get through Super 8.  Kinda tough going.

How come?  That movie's pretty good.

Quote from: Syt- Its main theme was copied into the video game 1942

God, do you guys remember Blue Max?  I hadn't in about two decades till I thought about 1942 and its antecedents.  WWI top-down shooter where you fight the entire German air arm and most of the German army.  What a great game.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Had Rule Britannia as opening tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv53rnaYAB8

It was in Germany on the index for media deemed harmful for youth, so it could only be sold to 18+ under the counter and not be advertised. (Same as 1942, btw.)

Standards were harsh back then. Doom recently got removed from the index (considering that many mucn more violent games don't go on the index anymore).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Darth Wagtaros

Started Skyline.  Five minutes in and I can tell it'll be crap.

Super-8 wasn't bad.
PDH!

Ideologue

I mean, it's no Explorers, but it's trying to be Explorers, and since that's one of the best movies ever made, I'll give Abrams credit for that.

Slight correction, btw--I said Django Unchained was the first great movie I saw in theaters all year, but that is forgetting Moonrise Kingdom, which is also great and very much almost as good, although I'm not sure two movies could be more different.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on December 28, 2012, 05:28:44 PM
Slight correction, btw--I said Django Unchained was the first great movie I saw in theaters all year, but that is forgetting Moonrise Kingdom, which is also great and very much almost as good, although I'm not sure two movies could be more different.

Bill Murray could make it work.

Razgovory

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 28, 2012, 04:53:46 PM
Started Skyline.  Five minutes in and I can tell it'll be crap.

Super-8 wasn't bad.

Skyline was terrible.  It didn't have any redeemable qualities.  Annoying and unlikable characters and really silly aliens.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Explorers, now there was a classic.  Approaching the midpoint in SKyline and I still have no idea who these people off or why I should care.  Kinda just hoping they all die.
PDH!

Scipio

The Wire is on sale at Amazon on download.  Each season is $12.99.  Oy.  Everyone but Seedy should buy this and watch it.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on December 28, 2012, 07:44:22 AM
My season movie tally:

Snowwhite and the Huntsman
Hobbit
Sorcerer's Apprentice
Corpse Bride
Beginners
Make the Yuletide Gay
another horribly badly acted gay romcom I don't even remember the name of

Snowwhite and the Huntsman-could have been better
Hobbit
Sorcerer's Apprentice-sucky
Corpse Bride
Beginners
Make the Yuletide Gay
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Jacob on December 28, 2012, 12:24:13 PM
Watched the Seven Samurai again. It was a lot less slow than I remembered.

Classic. Have you seen 13 Assassins?

:yes:

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Samurai will always be cooler than ninjas.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 28, 2012, 10:06:58 PM
Samurai will always be cooler than ninjas.

You know they are Samurai in 13 assassin's and not Ninjas?

viper37

Quote from: 11B4V on December 28, 2012, 09:45:48 PM
Snowwhite and the Huntsman-could have been better
it's that Twilight chick.  Hard to find a worst actress.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

I finally remembered why I felt, deep in my heart, why Seven Psychopaths was so derivative, when I watched Adaptation again.  What a great movie.
Kinemalogue