News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

city of ember- yet another so so kids movie yey! this one seems to be firmly from the ' let's be the next Harry potter ' school.
kinda cool to see post apocolyptic stuff but little actually happens.
Tom Hanks has a part. for some reason I thought it was bill Murray for the first half
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: Spike LeeAmerican Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them.

I was looking at that Spike Lee thing, and this comment struck as pretty fucking great (sometimes comments are good).

QuoteThe Holocaust Was Not A Bank Robbery Thriller.It Was A Holocaust.Your Ancestors Were European Jews.Honor Them.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

Superman Versus the Elite - good
The Sting II - bad
PDH!

mongers

Just watch a Patrick Stewart fronted program about racing legend Stirling Moss and racing in the 1950s/early 60s.  Very interesting, he got to drive in two of the classic racing cars, plus they took a trip along part of the Mille Miglia in a Mercedes gullwing, fantastic looking car. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

My season movie tally:

Snowwhite and the Huntsman
Hobbit
Sorcerer's Apprentice
Corpse Bride
Beginners
Make the Yuletide Gay
another horribly badly acted gay romcom I don't even remember the name of

Syt

633 Squadron (1964)

WW2 flick with not so good acting, remarkable only for three things:
- Decent air combat scenes
- Its main theme was copied into the video game 1942
- The climax features the squadron making an attack run down a narrow fjord that's littered by AA guns, with the goal to hit a small target at the end of the trench fjord to cause a small chain reaction that will destroy a vital military target; all the while they're attacked by enemy fighters. It seems vaguely familiar. :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Is there a fat pilot who buys the farm?  :hmm:

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Jacob

Watched the Seven Samurai again. It was a lot less slow than I remembered.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on December 28, 2012, 11:48:00 AM
- The climax features the squadron making an attack run down a narrow fjord that's littered by AA guns, with the goal to hit a small target at the end of the trench fjord to cause a small chain reaction that will destroy a vital military target; all the while they're attacked by enemy fighters. It seems vaguely familiar. :hmm:

:lol:
IM ON ZEE LEADER

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on December 28, 2012, 11:48:00 AM
633 Squadron (1964)

WW2 flick with not so good acting, remarkable only for three things:
- Decent air combat scenes
- Its main theme was copied into the video game 1942

You probably knew this (although I did not till I looked it up) but Lucas has explicitly said this movie was his inspiration for the final battle scene in Star Wars, at least according to wiki.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on December 28, 2012, 12:46:28 PM
You probably knew this (although I did not till I looked it up) but Lucas has explicitly said this movie was his inspiration for the final battle scene in Star Wars, at least according to wiki.

Yes, I did. Also, the Dam Busters. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Darth Wagtaros

Trying to get through Super 8.  Kinda tough going.
PDH!