News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on December 23, 2012, 12:17:14 PM
If not, let's try this again: Buster Keaton plays a pussy.  I mean, emotional pussy, yes, he can do that, but just look at those arms, he's cut like a statue. 

He was only 5'5". He'd have needed a physique like a tank to be as strong as those 6 foot college athletes.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 23, 2012, 12:53:50 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 23, 2012, 12:17:14 PM
If not, let's try this again: Buster Keaton plays a pussy.  I mean, emotional pussy, yes, he can do that, but just look at those arms, he's cut like a statue. 

He was only 5'5". He'd have needed a physique like a tank to be as strong as those 6 foot college athletes.

I'm not saying he'd be your ideal center, but that he's clearly much fitter than the movie says he is.  It's like when they kept calling Rachel Leigh Cook ugly in She's All That, or insisted that Denise Richards was a scientist in Tomorrow Never Dies.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on December 23, 2012, 12:25:18 PM
BTW, is it a dick move that I opened my dad's present, the Buster Keaton box set, and started watching the movies while I still have them?

Dick move.  Like regifting, only dickier.

Viking

Quote from: Phillip V on December 23, 2012, 02:27:16 PM
Quote from: Viking on December 22, 2012, 10:35:21 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on December 22, 2012, 10:26:05 AM
Colonel Graff and Ender

[img]http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/12/03/fl-enders-game_510x380.jpg[/img

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/12/05/enders-game-exclusive-first-look/

I will support this movie if

1- they get the big reveal right
2- they don't make the sequels

You don't like the sequels?

No. What gave that away? The speaker for the dead was a waste of perfectly good trees, the rest just got worse.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2012, 02:34:51 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 23, 2012, 12:25:18 PM
BTW, is it a dick move that I opened my dad's present, the Buster Keaton box set, and started watching the movies while I still have them?

Dick move.  Like regifting, only dickier.

Well, Ide is kind of a dick.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on December 23, 2012, 02:36:41 PM
No. What gave that away? The speaker for the dead was a waste of perfectly good trees, the rest just got worse.

Ender's Shadow was pretty cool.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Avengers Assemble.  I liked this.  I want more of the woman and the archer, the idea of post-Soviet superheroes is appealing. Mark Ruffalo doesn't get enough work.
Let's bomb Russia!

Phillip V

Quote from: Viking on December 23, 2012, 02:36:41 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on December 23, 2012, 02:27:16 PM
Quote from: Viking on December 22, 2012, 10:35:21 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on December 22, 2012, 10:26:05 AM
Colonel Graff and Ender

[img]http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/12/03/fl-enders-game_510x380.jpg[/img

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/12/05/enders-game-exclusive-first-look/

I will support this movie if

1- they get the big reveal right
2- they don't make the sequels

You don't like the sequels?

I only read Ender's Game and Speaker For The Dead. The latter would have great potential as a movie, but it would be very different as a sequel, action-wise.

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on December 23, 2012, 12:37:02 PM
Oh, and I forgot, about Keaton's College?

I don't know why I'm always surprised by it, because at this point I've had a lot of exposure to media from the 1920s, 30s, and 40s.  It's gonna happen.  It's unavoidable.

Shit is gonna get racist.  It's probably not gonna be mean.  It's gonna be like your grandmother, who refers to people as "colored" or "negroes."  She's got no real animus, she's no Nazi, but there it is.  This is what she grew up with, this is what made her laugh.  If it's Fibber McGee and Molly, you're gonna hear a line like "[Mayor LaTrivia's] drank so much tea his eyes started to slant!"  And if it's a movie, sooner or later you're gonna have blackface.

The scene in question here involves Keaton's character needing a job, but they only want "colored waiters" at this restaurant (that serves white people--I think they made this up, because otherwise early 20th century racism is really confusing to me--so it's beyond monstrous to sit near a black family eating dinner, but it's okay for black people to handle your food directly?).

Why would you think that they made up the idea that blacks were often used as menial labor (such as cooks or waiters)?  The mere physical presence of black people didn't bother most white people much, as long as it was clear that the blacks were in a subservient role.  Remember, before the Civil War and emancipation, slaves were often used as wetnurses, and of course other household slaves were used as cooks as well as maids, valets, etc.   

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on December 22, 2012, 02:55:20 AM

Thermae Romae- Even sillier than its initial concept of a Roman in a bath house finding a portal to modern Japan. So much importance placed on baths, with baths they save the Roman empire. Would have been nice to see more fish out of water time travelness and less of the guy having to faff around in Japanese-filled Rome. Which was weird but cool.

Tell me more.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Any of you Spaniards/Euros/Criterion Collection types ever see Francesco Rosi's 1965 bullfighting work, The Moment of Truth, starring Miguel Mateo?

Ideologue

Quote from: dps on December 23, 2012, 05:46:09 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 23, 2012, 12:37:02 PM
Oh, and I forgot, about Keaton's College?

I don't know why I'm always surprised by it, because at this point I've had a lot of exposure to media from the 1920s, 30s, and 40s.  It's gonna happen.  It's unavoidable.

Shit is gonna get racist.  It's probably not gonna be mean.  It's gonna be like your grandmother, who refers to people as "colored" or "negroes."  She's got no real animus, she's no Nazi, but there it is.  This is what she grew up with, this is what made her laugh.  If it's Fibber McGee and Molly, you're gonna hear a line like "[Mayor LaTrivia's] drank so much tea his eyes started to slant!"  And if it's a movie, sooner or later you're gonna have blackface.

The scene in question here involves Keaton's character needing a job, but they only want "colored waiters" at this restaurant (that serves white people--I think they made this up, because otherwise early 20th century racism is really confusing to me--so it's beyond monstrous to sit near a black family eating dinner, but it's okay for black people to handle your food directly?).

Why would you think that they made up the idea that blacks were often used as menial labor (such as cooks or waiters)?  The mere physical presence of black people didn't bother most white people much, as long as it was clear that the blacks were in a subservient role.  Remember, before the Civil War and emancipation, slaves were often used as wetnurses, and of course other household slaves were used as cooks as well as maids, valets, etc.

You're probably right.  I suspect it's because I view racism through the lens of World War II, i.e. more hateful and exterminatory.  There weren't beer halls in 1943 with Jewish servers.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue