News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

lol, you remember that asshole?   :lol:  Shit, I had totally forgot about him.

Man, what a dick.  It was like EUOT in 3D.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on December 16, 2012, 10:09:33 PMOK.  You were very close to a blistering assault on your person, your intellect and your worthiness as a person.

So just like any other post, really?

Neil

Yeah.  That conniption fit he was having over your shoulder holster was memorable.  :lol:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on December 16, 2012, 10:35:22 PM
Quote from: Neil on December 16, 2012, 10:09:33 PMOK.  You were very close to a blistering assault on your person, your intellect and your worthiness as a person.
So just like any other post, really?
But moreso.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on December 16, 2012, 10:37:13 PM
Yeah.  That conniption fit he was having over your shoulder holster was memorable.  :lol:

TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE FOR A LEARNING ENVIRONMENT YOU AMERICANS ARE BLAH BLAH BLAH

Fuck you and the flounder you buried to eat next year, pal.

Ed Anger

Gonna watch the Ref tonight.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 16, 2012, 10:43:01 PM

You are missing Pats getting ass kicked :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on December 16, 2012, 10:43:50 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 16, 2012, 10:43:01 PM

You are missing Pats getting ass kicked :P

I.am.not.watching.the.timmayfaggots.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on December 16, 2012, 09:36:44 PM
A younger Jacob may have taken the Marvel Thor as a launching point for an Ideologue-esque rant on the subject of cultural appropriation and misrepresentation in the realm of Scandinavian mythology. I'm a bit older now.

I don't do that.

Quote from: CdMMan, what a dick.  It was like EUOT in 3D.

Ugh. :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Kleves

Quote from: DGuller on December 16, 2012, 10:20:25 PM
WTF, that was a shocking season finale on Dexter.  Completely nonsensical, but shocking nonetheless.  I'm guessing this serial killer story is not going to have a happy ending.
How has this season been? I stopped watching after last season [spoiler]they made Deb start lusting after Dexter - what a stupid idea, and one which really screwed up the relationship they had spent 8 seasons building.[/spoiler]  :rolleyes:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

DGuller

Quote from: Kleves on December 17, 2012, 01:23:07 AM
Quote from: DGuller on December 16, 2012, 10:20:25 PM
WTF, that was a shocking season finale on Dexter.  Completely nonsensical, but shocking nonetheless.  I'm guessing this serial killer story is not going to have a happy ending.
How has this season been? I stopped watching after last season [spoiler]they made Deb start lusting after Dexter - what a stupid idea, and one which really screwed up the relationship they had spent 8 seasons building.[/spoiler]  :rolleyes:
Better than the last few, but not as good as the gold standard of seasons 1/2/4.  Just make sure to suspend your disbelief more than usual, because writers, like Dexter himself, keep getting sloppier and sloppier.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on December 15, 2012, 06:44:08 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 12, 2012, 11:15:18 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on December 12, 2012, 08:52:53 PM
http://youtu.be/KVu3gS7iJu4

Newest trailer for Man of Steel.
Outrageous, Jonathon Kent would never say that!  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Why, do you know him personally?

I like the idea of a Superman movie dealing with the fundamental, but usually-unstated, premise of the Superman comics: he chooses who lives and who dies as to whether it suits his convenience, whim, or morality to save them.

The point of the Kents is to serve as Clark's moral center. Clark is good because his parents raised him that way. Jonathon Kent would never answer that question with a maybe.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 17, 2012, 02:04:18 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 15, 2012, 06:44:08 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 12, 2012, 11:15:18 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on December 12, 2012, 08:52:53 PM
http://youtu.be/KVu3gS7iJu4

Newest trailer for Man of Steel.
Outrageous, Jonathon Kent would never say that!  :mad: :mad: :mad:

Why, do you know him personally?

I like the idea of a Superman movie dealing with the fundamental, but usually-unstated, premise of the Superman comics: he chooses who lives and who dies as to whether it suits his convenience, whim, or morality to save them.

The point of the Kents is to serve as Clark's moral center. Clark is good because his parents raised him that way. Jonathon Kent would never answer that question with a maybe.
He doesn't want his son taken from him, possibly dissected.  Lashing out in a moment of fear doesn't make him a bad person or any, or at least much, less of a moral exemplar.  It does make him more human, and what Kal-El got from Jonathan Kent, far more fundamentally than his morality, is his humanity.  That is, his ability to understand and embrace and even emulate the flaws we possess, even though he doesn't natively possess many of them himself (e.g., his selfishness, recognized as normal, in deciding he'd rather spend a lot of time with a wife and a job instead of, say, destroying North Korea's government, or vigilantly preventing all traffic accidents on Earth).

Also, Clark Kent possesses a moral code that is actually different and more stringent than Jonathan's.  Superman rarely if ever kills, and does so only as a last resort.*  Once upon a time in DC continuity, Jon Kent stacked Japanese like cordwood in World War II, which we can generally agree Superman wouldn't do (Superman would fly to Berlin, kick Hitler's ass, then fly to Moscow, and kick Stalin's ass; I have this comic, it's pretty great).

They are similar in that they are both huge, unrepentant liars, I suppose.  It's okay to lie to the government if it gets you a SSN, kids!

I'll also direct you to Costner's pained delivery and the fact that it's only part of the conversation.

*Except that one time.  And this is why having Zod and the Phantom Zone criminals as part of a first Superman film, while refreshingly visually awesome after fighting Lex Luthor AGAIN, isn't the best choice.  Because pulling the execution out for Man of Steel 2 would be potentially the best scene ever filmed.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue