News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2012, 08:37:08 AMYeah, Stan Lee and Jack Kirby changed a lot around when they invented the character and the setting back in the 60s, and subsequent creators really took it in weird directions (there is an alien Thor, for example, who looks like an orange horse; he's actually pretty rad).

The most fundamental change, of course, is Loki as Thor's adoptive brother instead of Odin's blood brother.  This used to bug me, but I've come to realize that this is kind of a stroke of genius, since the comic wasn't called Odin.  The redefined relationships work beautifully in the movie Thor.  If you only watch one of the other Marvel movies leading up to Avengers, watch that one. :wub:

In the end, the reason I wasn't offended was that I divorced him almost entirely from the mythological Thor . The guy in the film is a super hero and any resemblance to "real life" Thor were purely coincidental. On those terms, I liked the character.

QuoteSpeaking of Chinese movies (Hong Kongese in this case), I think you'd get a kick out of Wong Kar-wai's 2054.  The plot's weird and one part takes place in a fictionalized version of that year as imagined by the main character, a writer.  Much of the rest takes place in a hotel room by that number.  There's romance and longing and Asian ladies and such.  I liked it.  Haven't seen the rest of Wong's stuff, but one of these days I'll get around to it.

I think the only Wong Kar-wai film I've seen is In the Mood for Love; I enjoyed it quite a bit. I remember the title of the film now, it was Snowfall in Taipei; it had a bit of the same wistfulness of In the Mood for Love, but it was less deliberately artistic in the sets, lighting and costumes.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on December 16, 2012, 06:34:38 PMI think you mean 2046. I saw that and from what I remember I kinda liked it. Especially:

Zhang Ziyi if I'm not mistaken.

Neil

Wait a minute...  Are you offended by unorthodox presentations of mythological Thor, Jake?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

No wonder I don't remember 2046. When I saw it in theaters, I was still a teen! :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Not Wong Kar-Wai's best, IMO.  That'd probably Chungking Express.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Berkut

Just got caught up on Homeland. What a great show.

Some rather astoundingly huge plot holes though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Neil

My wife has me watching the first season on DVD.  I'm enjoying Mandy Patinkin and Damien Lewis.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on December 16, 2012, 09:20:45 PM
Wait a minute...  Are you offended by unorthodox presentations of mythological Thor, Jake?

Apparently not :)

I'm interested in viking age things, including mythology. When it comes to pop-cultural interpretations, I have a heavy preference for the Scandinavian ones and consider them "more real".

A younger Jacob may have taken the Marvel Thor as a launching point for an Ideologue-esque rant on the subject of cultural appropriation and misrepresentation in the realm of Scandinavian mythology. I'm a bit older now.

Honestly, in the realm of aesthetics - and that's what presentations of mythological Thor is, whatever their orthodoxy - very little offends me. I know my preferences, and that's that.

katmai

Quote from: Jacob on December 16, 2012, 09:19:14 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 16, 2012, 06:34:38 PMI think you mean 2046. I saw that and from what I remember I kinda liked it. Especially:

Zhang Ziyi if I'm not mistaken.

You are not.....this time.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Neil

Quote from: Jacob on December 16, 2012, 09:36:44 PM
Quote from: Neil on December 16, 2012, 09:20:45 PM

Apparently not :)

I'm interested in viking age things, including mythology. When it comes to pop-cultural interpretations, I have a heavy preference for the Scandinavian ones and consider them "more real".

A younger Jacob may have taken the Marvel Thor as a launching point for an Ideologue-esque rant on the subject of cultural appropriation and misrepresentation in the realm of Scandinavian mythology. I'm a bit older now.

Honestly, in the realm of aesthetics - and that's what presentations of mythological Thor is, whatever their orthodoxy - very little offends me. I know my preferences, and that's that.
OK.  You were very close to a blistering assault on your person, your intellect and your worthiness as a person.  Also, it didn't make much sense to me for someone who sees himself as extremely cosmopolitan and modern to get worked up about how the gods of his distant ancestors are portrayed.

DGuller

WTF, that was a shocking season finale on Dexter.  Completely nonsensical, but shocking nonetheless.  I'm guessing this serial killer story is not going to have a happy ending.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on December 16, 2012, 10:09:33 PM
OK.  You were very close to a blistering assault on your person, your intellect and your worthiness as a person.  Also, it didn't make much sense to me for someone who sees himself as extremely cosmopolitan and modern to get worked up about how the gods of his distant ancestors are portrayed.

You can take the European out of Europe, but you can't take Europe out of the European.  Or something.  Anyway, you know what I mean.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 16, 2012, 10:23:39 PM
Quote from: Neil on December 16, 2012, 10:09:33 PM
You can take the European out of Europe, but you can't take Europe out of the European.  Or something.  Anyway, you know what I mean.
I deleted a line in that post about how him getting excited about how Thor was portrayed would be like you getting excited about a potato.  LOLIRISH.

But yeah, I see your point.  Some Scandis are super Scandi-proud.  Like that Swedish guy you took those night classes with.