News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

New X-Men in the works, Brian Singer in pre-production in Montreal.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Kleves

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 15, 2012, 01:50:58 PM
Can't wait :mmm:
Unfortunately, it will have to end after one season if the story follows the storyline of the British series; American police will actually investigate an obvious murder.  :(
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Darth Wagtaros

Discworld TV series in the works.
PDH!

celedhring

Quote from: Kleves on November 15, 2012, 02:14:04 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 15, 2012, 01:50:58 PM
Can't wait :mmm:
Unfortunately, it will have to end after one season if the story follows the storyline of the British series; American police will actually investigate an obvious murder.  :(

My only gripe with the original series is how outlandish the plot was in some parts, particularly some of the stunts Urquhart was able to pull off and how stupidly naive some of his adversaries and allies were. That's something that I would love to see made more believable.

Sheilbh

The novels the series was based on was written by a Tory Chief of Staff under Maggie (called a political 'hitman' no less :lol:).  I don't know if it was just a disappointed politician writing, whether it was aiming for a bit more accuracy, or whether it was a sort-of advert for the type of leader the Tories needed after Maggie.

After he wrote the three Urquhart novels he became Deputy Chairman of the Tory Party :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 15, 2012, 02:26:57 PM
The novels the series was based on was written by a Tory Chief of Staff under Maggie (called a political 'hitman' no less :lol:).  I don't know if it was just a disappointed politician writing, whether it was aiming for a bit more accuracy, or whether it was a sort-of advert for the type of leader the Tories needed after Maggie.

After he wrote the three Urquhart novels he became Deputy Chairman of the Tory Party :mellow:

..... and the Tories have been looking for an Urquhart to vote for since then.  :bowler:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

Bad Teacher- Actually a pretty good simple comedy movie. It has nice pacing, doesn't drop into the overly done super cliched 3/4 of the way through lull where the main character is defeated and has to find themselves.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

yeah, I liked that movie, I too thought it was pretty decent :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

Finally got a chance to watch Kubrick's The Killing.  I don't have the frame of reference for great heist movies, but I really liked it a lot, especially as the plan ramped up toward the end (and the last scene is fantastic and a little heartbreaking).  However, there is a salient terrible aspect: there is this omnipresent narration, which becomes ever more preposterously redundant.  I don't think I've seen a movie with this much and this badly done voiceover since The Creeping Terror.  Still, Sterling Hayden and that guy that played Samuel Cogley, the galaxy's worst lawyer, in that really stupid episode of Star Trek where Kirk is court martialed, are both quite excellent, and it mounts the tension a movie like this needs.  I saw it on Amazon Prime; it's not worth the $25 for the disc put out by those Criterion dorks who, I imagine, kept it off my big Kubrick set, but B+ nonetheless.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Liep

Finally got around to seeing The Dark Knight Rises. Hugely disappointing after all the good things I've heard about it. The fights were ridiculous, the effects were meh and so was most of the acting. Worst Nolan film I've seen.

4.5/10

Though, I would watch a Robin/Batwomen film with Gordon-Levitt and Hathaway. No voice alteration, please.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Drakken

Finally sat and watch Brazil (the Gilliam cut, not the happy ending cut). Absolutely loved it. Michael Palin was down-right scary as the punch-clock everyman villain, and Kim Greist was kinda hot in that wrench-girl attire. What surprised me, is to learn that De Niro played in that movie for free, just because he loved the script and wanted to be in for the ride.

What's even worse than a malevolent, Big-Brother dystopia is a bloated paperwork red-tape bureaucratic, yet ultimately incompetent dystopia. Rather, people in this universe are extremely competent in passing the buck than having stuff done. It's so absurd, that it works. I wasn't even sure if anyone in that movie, even Tuttle's overbearing mom, was genuinely evil, more apathetic and aimless than powerhungry and villainous. Even Palin's character does his "trade" because it's his job, rather than him being a sadistic O'Brien.

9.5 grey pipes through the room on 10.

Ideologue

Quote from: Liep on November 16, 2012, 11:13:51 AM
Finally got around to seeing The Dark Knight Rises. Hugely disappointing after all the good things I've heard about it. The fights were ridiculous, the effects were meh and so was most of the acting. Worst Nolan film I've seen.

4.5/10

Worse than Batman Begins?  Hardly.  I think you're being a little harsh, and I say that not being an especial fan of the movie.  I take it you did not like Tom Hardy's Bane?  That along with some of the set pieces rescued the movie from complete dismissibility for me.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Liep

Bane got better, but that whole opening scene with the mayor from Wire almost made me not watch it. Also the voice reminded me of someone else (can't remember who though).
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!