News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Oh no, not Arnold Horschack. :(
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

I have a very similar voice to Horschack.  Was a bit of a class clown in highschool as well.  I doubt that's very surprising to a lot of you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2012, 04:55:34 PM
Anyone else watching Girls on HBO?

Do you think it's an accurate reflection of urban post college life, or propaganda for ugly girls?

Yes and yes. My sisters had a discussion about how they felt guilty watching it as they could just live their lives/talk to friends and have the same experience.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: katmai on August 12, 2012, 05:15:05 PM
The power of being creator and writer of show.

I'm jealous. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 14, 2012, 01:18:16 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 14, 2012, 01:16:14 PM
Quote from: katmai on August 12, 2012, 05:15:05 PM
The power of being creator and writer of show.

I'm jealous. -_-

Live the dream, man.

Dreams are too fickle to count on them paying the bills.

Syt

Watched Dark Knight Rises at the iMax (thanks to the public holiday I could catch one of their awfully scheduled undubbed screenings).

I will send the bill for the hearing aid I will need from here on out to Mr Hans Zimmer.

Overall a decent movie, if a bit dour. I was skeptic about Heche as Catwoman but thought she did a good job. However, I thought her character had not much to do besides looking good and never really being in a tight spot.

I liked Bane. The performance reminded me to some degree of Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now. Shame his end was such a letdown. Also, the twist at the end, and reveal of the true villain - yeah, it was hinted at, but I still found it came pretty much out of nowhere.

For being so dour and serious, the characters seemed to show little emotion. However, like in other Nolan movies, there's a tendency of characters to tell/discuss their motivations and emotions at length instead of choosing a subtler approach of showing them through actions. But YMMV on that.

Unlike Avengers, however, I don't have an instant impulse of "I need to see that again!"

I wasn't aware that Gotham had a perfect replica of Heinz Field as a football stadium. That broke the immersion a bit for me, together with showing the Steelers team during the national anthem. They go for "generic New York style metropolis" all the time (though garbon certainly would recognize city shots if they were taken in NY), and then take one of the most recognizable football stadiums, especially with the vista shot over the river?

Though I guess a number of Languishites got a kick out of seeing the Steelers and their field getting blown up. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on August 15, 2012, 12:10:38 PM
Overall a decent movie, if a bit dour. I was skeptic about Heche as Catwoman but thought she did a good job. However, I thought her character had not much to do besides looking good and never really being in a tight spot.

I would be too. I think they did well picking Anne Hathaway over her.  :P

And yeah, I didn't think they developed that character enough.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Syt on August 15, 2012, 12:10:38 PM
Watched Dark Knight Rises at the iMax (thanks to the public holiday I could catch one of their awfully scheduled undubbed screenings).
ah! I see it's a generalized policy.  I don't fancy seeing a movie at 1:00am on tuesday :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Well, the previous iMax in Vienna went bankrupt. So the new one they have is trying to make sure its seats are filled - and they usually can do that only with dubbed blockbuster movies during primetime and the undubbed versions are shown during inconvenient hours.

Again re: Dark Knight Rises - I didn't really feel emotionally engaged in the movie. It looked good, but rather sterile. The people were talking about emotions and motivations, but they didn't really show them.

Then again, when your male lead is Christian Bale, this is probably the safer option. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Syt on August 16, 2012, 02:15:26 AM
Well, the previous iMax in Vienna went bankrupt. So the new one they have is trying to make sure its seats are filled - and they usually can do that only with dubbed blockbuster movies during primetime and the undubbed versions are shown during inconvenient hours.
Same process in Quebec city.

The regular theaters have now started showing movies in original language on Tuesdays and Thursdays, just like iMax.

What I never understood was that on Friday nights, for good blockbuster movies, the rooms are always filled for the original english movies.  And I know lots of people keep asking for them.  But it seems to never materialize in sufficient numbers at the theater.

Again re: Dark Knight Rises - I didn't really feel emotionally engaged in the movie. It looked good, but rather sterile. The people were talking about emotions and motivations, but they didn't really show them.
I saw it dubbed.  I can't really judge the actor's play.  I liked the movie, but it's like they were over zealous with cissors and cut the good pieces too.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

You guys still go to the movies? :blink:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 16, 2012, 07:47:15 AM
Of course.  Why wouldn't we?

And it's not iMax, you Apple-fags.  IMAX is proper, but we'll also accept Imax.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Neil on August 16, 2012, 07:52:55 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 16, 2012, 07:47:15 AM
Of course.  Why wouldn't we?

And it's not iMax, you Apple-fags.  IMAX is proper, but we'll also accept Imax.

Expensive, poorly maintained theatres, rooms full of Bluetooth talking assholes is not something I enjoy.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.