News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Man, Watchmen is like an almost amazing movie.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2012, 04:55:34 PM
Anyone else watching Girls on HBO?

Do you think it's an accurate reflection of urban post college life, or propaganda for ugly girls?

It's only the fat one that's ugly. The rest are all fuckable. No, whom I kidding, I'd nail the fat one too.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Saw Goon and We bought a zoo.

Goon was ok.  It's not as good as Slapshot, but it gets by as a decent hockey flick.
It's a canadian movie starring Seann William Scott and Jay Baruchel, among others.  SWS plays a kinda stupid bouncer, adopted son of a brainy Jewish family who becomes a hockey player, a goon, without even knowing how to skate.  Some funny moments.  It's probably better in the dubbed version.

We bought a zoo.

A man who recently lost his wife decides to move out the crazy city with his two kids.  He finds the perfect house, but it's actually a zoo, and he can't buy the house without keeping the animals.  Scarlett Johansson stars as the way too sexy zoo keeper.  Nice average movie, utterly predictable in it's good ending scenario.  Recommended for those nights when your girlfriend wants to pick the movie.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

Quote from: Scipio on August 12, 2012, 08:28:54 PM
Man, Watchmen is like a most amazing movie.

:smoke:

I guess I can concede it has some problems.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sophie Scholl

Speaking of Zack Snyder films, I watched Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole.  I actually quite enjoyed it.  It could easily have been longer and I'd have been just as happy.  Some of the characters seemed to get cut a bit short due to trying to fit too much into one film, but the end result was fine by me.  Amazing visuals and a decent enough story, I'd recommend it to those with kids or those seeking a nice visual treat that doesn't require overly much thought.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Came home today, flipping channels and lo, I find Car Wash, 1976.

Now, I distinctly remember this movie being a big deal amongst some of my friends on the elementary school lunch room circuit back in the late-1970s, and then it sorta fell off the map.

In summation: it's exactly everything you'd expect from a movie named "Car Wash", and a movie named "Car Wash" made in 1976.

CountDeMoney

Hey, Jennifer Aniston just got engaged to her future ex-husband, Justin Theroux.  Imagine that.

Admiral Yi

Ghostbusters I & II in heavy rotation right now.  Movies hold up very well, except the very mediocre 80s soundtrack.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 13, 2012, 05:04:36 PM
Hey, Jennifer Aniston just got engaged to her future ex-husband, Justin Theroux.  Imagine that.

Engagement is off within 4 months. Aniston dead marriage pool is in effect.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 13, 2012, 05:10:25 PM
Ghostbusters I & II in heavy rotation right now.  Movies hold up very well, except the very mediocre 80s soundtrack.

The theme song is tons of fun.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 13, 2012, 05:27:33 PM

Yeah, that's why I'm not sweating waiting for my turn.

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 13, 2012, 06:15:46 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 13, 2012, 05:27:33 PM

Yeah, that's why I'm not sweating waiting for my turn.

:lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

QuoteRon Palillo, Horshack on 'Welcome Back, Kotter,' dies at 63

Actor Ron Palillo, best known for portraying the oddball class clown Arnold Horshack on the late-1970s sitcom "Welcome Back, Kotter," has died at the age of 63 of an apparent heart attack, reports TMZ.

A source close to the actor says he passed away early Tuesday morning at his Palm Beach-area home. Reportedly Palillo was found by his longtime partner Joseph Gramm around 4 a.m. and was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

"Welcome Back Kotter" was Palillo's big break. After it ended in 1979, he went on to have some smaller parts on "Laverne and Shirley" and "The Love Boat," then ended up doing a lot of voiceover work. He reprised his role of Horshack for one episode of the short-lived TV sitcom "Mr. Rhodes," titled "The Welcome Back Episode."

Palillo is the second "Welcome Back, Kotter" cast member to succumb to a heart attack this year. Robert Hegyes, who played sweathog Epstein on the show, passed away back in January.

Razgovory

Time is running out for John Travolta.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Stayin' alive! Stayin' alive!
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?