Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Matrix: Retarded is on TV. :bleeding:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote(Reuters) - Actor Al Freeman Jr., perhaps best known for his portrayal of Nation of Islam leader Elijah Muhammad in Spike Lee's 1992 film "Malcolm X," has died, Howard University said on Friday.

"It is with tremendous sadness that the passing of our beloved Professor Al Freeman, Jr. is confirmed," Kim James Bey, chair of the university's theater department said in a statement. Freeman was a faculty member at the university.

She gave no details about the death of Freeman, who was 78 and taught acting at the Washington-based university, but said a statement would be issued later.

Freeman's long career in film, television and theater included an enduring role playing police Captain Ed Hall on the TV soap opera "One Life to Live" from 1972 through 1987.

He was credited with being the first African American to win a Daytime Emmy Award for outstanding lead actor for his work on the soap opera, a prize he was awarded in 1979.

Freeman's theater credits included a starring role on Broadway in James Baldwin's "Blues for Mister Charlie" in 1964.

Admiral Yi

Watched J. Edgar.  Well done, but the story itself is not very interesting.  Unless you're really gripped by Hoover's homosexualist romance.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

:mad:  When it comes to Stalinistic management techniques, there's no such thing as sexual preference discrimination.

The Larch

Watched Black Dynamite the other day with a couple of buddies just the way it should be watched, half hammered. It was glorious.  :lol:

Eddie Teach

The Dark Knight Rises. It was good, though I didn't find Bane as compelling or interesting a villain as the Joker.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Scipio

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 12, 2012, 04:52:17 PM
The Dark Knight Rises. It was good, though I didn't find Bane as compelling or interesting a villain as the Joker.
Yes, well, Tojo was no Hitler, but he still made WWII what it was.  Even Tom Hardy couldn't equal Ledger performance on that one.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Admiral Yi

Anyone else watching Girls on HBO?

Do you think it's an accurate reflection of urban post college life, or propaganda for ugly girls?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 12, 2012, 04:55:34 PM
Anyone else watching Girls on HBO?

Do you think it's an accurate reflection of urban post college life, or propaganda for ugly girls?

I think it's a little of both, but probably leaning a little more on the accurate part.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 12, 2012, 05:06:19 PM
I think it's a little of both, but probably leaning a little more on the accurate part.

The lead *is* pretty damn homely.  And pear shaped.

katmai

The power of being creator and writer of show.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Malthus

I just noticed that a (very long!) trailer is out for the movie version of the book Cloud Atlas.

Dunno if anyone has posted it yet. It looks good, but then, it could very easily be a mess - I have my doubts about the ability to film such a book, but I'm cautiously optomistic.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/07/26/cloud-atlas-trailer/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Just watched Vatel.  Gerard Depardieu is the steward for the Prince de Conde, stages a three day banquet for visiting King Louis.  Gets the hots for Louis' mistress Uma Thurmond.

Decent.

CountDeMoney

Stopped by Best Buy for some batteries and NCAA 2013, and grabbed Gettysburg on Blu-Ray for $9.  It makes the spilled Confederacy blood look so much more robust.