News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on March 24, 2012, 11:21:38 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 24, 2012, 11:07:43 PMBut they're the same idiots that think Apocalypse Now is about the Vietnam War, too.

What is Apocalypse Now about?  I thought it was about how humans are fundamentally bad and only a thin veneer of civilization separates us from putting people's heads on sticks.  That's what I took away from Heart of Darkness, anyway; I've generally assumed Apocalypse Now was about the same thing, but never really examined it.

It's not about the Vietnam War, that's my point.  The vehicle is not the message.

Capetan Mihali

Tree of Life was painful to sit through.  I pretended to like it OK for sociability reasons, but I really thought it was dreck. 
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 24, 2012, 11:58:01 PM
Tree of Life was painful to sit through.  I pretended to like it OK for sociability reasons, but I really thought it was dreck.
I did that for The Fountain.  I lasted ten minutes of listening to a girl describe its Buddhist themes before I cracked and just started swearing about it  :Embarrass:

I was also enraged because as far as I can see the film's not that Buddhist <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Thin Red Line was marketed as "SPR in the Pacific with all star cast" over here. Hence, when I went to see it at the theater I felt disappointed. A few years later it was on tv and I watched it again and really liked it this time. Since then it's become one of my favority movies as well.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2012, 12:03:18 AM
I did that for The Fountain.  I lasted ten minutes of listening to a girl describe its Buddhist themes before I cracked and just started swearing about it  :Embarrass:

I remember going to see The Fountain, thinking from the trailers that it might be a kinda cool, lost-in-times sort of thing.  It was more like watching a bad acid trip.

Viking

I had to google to find out what spr means. That fucking movie doesn't deserve a TLA.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 25, 2012, 12:40:58 AM

I remember going to see The Fountain, thinking from the trailers that it might be a kinda cool, lost-in-times sort of thing.  It was more like watching a bad acid trip.

That movie was fucked up. I just watched it to perv Rachel Weisz.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2012, 12:03:18 AM

Ugh.  I never finished that one.  Can't remember what happened.  Got bored, or hungry or the house caught on fire or something.  I think it was just boring.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 25, 2012, 12:40:58 AM

Great soundtrack though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Thin Red Line is so incredibly boring that no person can ever have finished it. Growling cartoonish officer leads a collection of soldier-philosophers who manage to cobble together the profound message "war is hell". :zzz
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Agreed.  OMG, I never realized soldiers get scared in combat!  I need two hours of that for the message to sink in.

Just saw Sucker Punch.  Was OK I guess.  The way Seedy was rubbing his pecker raw I thought the girls would be a little hotter.

Eddie Teach

Main girl was super hot.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2012, 02:55:07 AM
Agreed.  OMG, I never realized soldiers get scared in combat!  I need two hours of that for the message to sink in.

Just saw Sucker Punch.  Was OK I guess.  The way Seedy was rubbing his pecker raw I thought the girls would be a little hotter.

Ponytails and Vulcan miniguns do it for me.  That's my thing.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 23, 2012, 09:48:51 PM
The much anticipated 'Battlestar Galactica' spin off 'Blood & Chrome' will not be coming to Syfy as a TV show – but hope for the series is not lost yet.

After receiving over 100,000 views in 24 hours, a leaked trailer for Syfy's new space drama Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome has eager BSG fans chomping at the bit for the series to air. Unfortunately, after much deliberation, Syfy has decided not to air the Battlestar Galactica prequel as a regular series – but there is still hope for a TV movie and a digital series.
Syfy is just allergic to money aren't they.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 25, 2012, 06:00:38 AM
Syfy is just allergic to money aren't they.

I think they're just allergic to anything SciFi-related.