Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 24, 2012, 11:19:30 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on March 24, 2012, 11:16:15 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 24, 2012, 11:07:43 PM
It is a beautiful movie and one of my all-time faves as well.  The historitards despise it, though.  But they're the same idiots that think Apocalypse Now is about the Vietnam War, too.

It came out right after Saving Private Ryan, so it was unfairly compared to that. SPR was a good movie in its own right, but it was nice having a movie like The Thin Red Line where its themes weren't spoon-fed to the audience.

WUT I HALF TO THINK AT THE MOVIES WTF IF THIS CRAP

Yeah, my buddy in the Army is such a Historitard about the South Pacific, he tosses Thin Red Line in with fucking Windtalkers and Pearl Harbor.  Can't win that debate with him at all.
Worst adaptation of a James Jones novel.  Ever.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 25, 2012, 01:54:49 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 25, 2012, 12:40:58 AM
I remember going to see The Fountain, thinking from the trailers that it might be a kinda cool, lost-in-times sort of thing.  It was more like watching a bad acid trip.

Great soundtrack though.
Yeah.  It's got moments where it's very pretty too.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

2 hour Mad Men on tonight. The killing next Sunday. Game of Thrones soon. Sunday's are getting busy.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

11B4V

Minority Report: not bad
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on March 26, 2012, 12:54:37 PM

Not bad?  It was awesomeness.  An excellent chaser, and a great example of the question of law enforcement or scientific ethics in film.

frunk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 26, 2012, 01:01:45 PM

Not bad?  It was awesomeness.  An excellent chaser, and a great example of the question of law enforcement or scientific ethics in film.

I liked it too, although the ending was a little weak.  A nice, dark, dystopian finish would have fit the movie as a whole much better.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 26, 2012, 01:01:45 PM

Deviated a little from the original short story. Again, I would recommend it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: frunk on March 26, 2012, 01:06:08 PM
I liked it too, although the ending was a little weak.  A nice, dark, dystopian finish would have fit the movie as a whole much better.

Then that would've eliminated the triumph of the human spirit and due process over the non-ethical application of blind science.  It was no Gattaca and certainly no Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, but it was a decent treatment on the concept of science applied for society's benefit simply for the sake of science, particularly from a legal/law enforcement/civil liberties perspective.

Could've been much better in this regard, but it is a decent conversation-starter on the topic.

frunk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 26, 2012, 01:24:48 PM
[Then that would've eliminated the triumph of the human spirit and due process over the non-ethical application of blind science.  It was no Gattaca and certainly no Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, but it was a decent treatment on the concept of science applied for society's benefit simply for the sake of science, particularly from a legal/law enforcement/civil liberties perspective.

Could've been much better in this regard, but it is a decent conversation-starter on the topic.

Well, I suppose if you want the human spirit to triumph...

katmai

Quote from: Josephus on March 25, 2012, 10:02:30 AM
I liked Thin Red Line.

Then you are either gay or a flipican.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sheilbh

Watching Homeland on Channel 4 week by week.  Gets better and better.  I like not watching massive binges which is how I normally go for TV shows (sat through 4 hours of Breaking Bad at the weekend  :blush:).
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Watched the Mad Men season opener last night. 

Did the red headed hottie really put on 300 pounds or is she swaddled in pillows?

Josephus

I'm thinking it's pillows.

Razgovory

Quote from: frunk on March 26, 2012, 01:39:41 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 26, 2012, 01:24:48 PM
[Then that would've eliminated the triumph of the human spirit and due process over the non-ethical application of blind science.  It was no Gattaca and certainly no Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, but it was a decent treatment on the concept of science applied for society's benefit simply for the sake of science, particularly from a legal/law enforcement/civil liberties perspective.

Well, I suppose if you want the human spirit to triumph...

Who doesn't?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017