News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

"Knowing."  Most of it at least.  Nicholas Cage discovers a peice of paper that predicts disasters.  Disasters happen.  Surprise twist ending!!!

Some of the effects are pretty cool--passengers getting crisped after a plane crash was pretty well done.  Runaway subway train not as good.  Overall though the plot and the dialogue is pretty lame.

Kleves

Quote from: Queequeg on March 23, 2012, 12:44:13 AM
Guy Pearce is consistently in some of the best movies out there.  He's actually pretty close to a seal of quality.
That's pretty much what I think, too (although I didn't like Animal Kingdom nearly as much as Sheilbh), which is why I was disappointed to see he'll be starring in this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmAbEgayExs

The synopsis:
QuoteA man wrongly convicted of conspiracy to commit espionage against the U.S. is offered his freedom if he can rescue the president's daughter from an outer space prison taken over by violent inmates.

I blame Tim.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Kleves on March 23, 2012, 05:55:22 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 23, 2012, 12:44:13 AM
Guy Pearce is consistently in some of the best movies out there.  He's actually pretty close to a seal of quality.
That's pretty much what I think, too (although I didn't like Animal Kingdom nearly as much as Sheilbh), which is why I was disappointed to see he'll be starring in this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmAbEgayExs

The synopsis:
QuoteA man wrongly convicted of conspiracy to commit espionage against the U.S. is offered his freedom if he can rescue the president's daughter from an outer space prison taken over by violent inmates.

I blame Tim.
It looks like a serious attempt at a film, which is a shame because the dialogue would've been great for an homage to the devil may care kitsch of a 1980s action film. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Kleves on March 23, 2012, 05:55:22 PM
The synopsis:

I blame Tim.

I blame Snake Plissken. I see your Manga fanboi and raise you a plagarist.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

QuoteThe much anticipated 'Battlestar Galactica' spin off 'Blood & Chrome' will not be coming to Syfy as a TV show – but hope for the series is not lost yet.

After receiving over 100,000 views in 24 hours, a leaked trailer for Syfy's new space drama Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome has eager BSG fans chomping at the bit for the series to air. Unfortunately, after much deliberation, Syfy has decided not to air the Battlestar Galactica prequel as a regular series – but there is still hope for a TV movie and a digital series.

In January, Syfy's President of Original Programming Mark Stern stated that he and the network were "trying to figure out the economics right now" and that a solution would be figured out soon.  Now it seems that the economics were not worked out in the way Stern had intended, as the network has decided to pass on the project as a regular series, but is leaving it open for the possibility of a digital airing.

In a statement made this week, Stern gave fans some insight into the decision:

"Though the vision for Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome has evolved over the course of the past year, our enthusiasm for this ambitious project has not waned." Stern goes on to say, "We are actively pursuing it as was originally intended: a groundbreaking digital series that will launch to audiences beyond the scope of a television screen. The 90-minute pilot movie will air on Syfy in its entirety at a future date."

Originally intended as a web series, the Battlestar Galactica off-shoot was later greenlighted for a two-hour TV pilot back in October 2010, but was subsequently pushed back due to intensive post-production and special effects issues. The pilot stars English actor Luke Pasqualino ( UK Skins) as a young William "Husker" Adama, a fresh academy graduate entering the tenth year of the First Cylon War on the newest Battlestar in the Colonial fleet, The Galactica.

As far as the leaked trailer goes, NBCUniversal quickly ordered it removed from YouTube and other sources, saying it was not an official trailer – but not before it went viral. Even with swift action, the trailer can still be found if you know where to look. Outside of a digital series, Universal Cable Production, which produces Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome, has not completely ruled out shopping the project to other television networks.

Fans of the successful 2004 re-imaging of Battlestar Galactica, and its not-so successful spin-off Caprica, were really excited at the prospect of  Galactica and her crew making a triumphant return to television. The recent news concerning Blood & Chrome is bittersweet, as there is still a slim chance the Cylon space drama might go on in the form of a web series.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 19, 2012, 02:31:27 AM
Man, I hate having to wait months for another season to start  :mad:  Should've done with this what I did with BSG;  skip the entire seasons, and engorge myself on Netflix, and come to the same conclusion years later that everybody else did at the time:  that BSG went right off the rails during 2.5  :P

Sounds better than my approach, which was to watch the first part of season 4 first, conclude that after whatever problems it had theretofore had it was back on track, and buy the whole series, prior to the entire thing dissolving like a Vietnamese monk in front of the Cambodian embassy. :bleeding:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on March 21, 2012, 04:25:15 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 21, 2012, 04:22:32 PM
Quote from: Berkut on March 21, 2012, 03:26:15 PM
Watched Kick Ass last night. That was pretty damn good. Hitgirl is awesome.
[comic-book-nerd] The comic was better. [/comic-book-nerd]
Not especially.

I never read the comic.  I sort of assume the movie took all the good stuff Mark Millar did, and excised all of his insufferable smugness.

(Ultimates 1 and 2 are still some of the best comics of the last decade.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 23, 2012, 09:48:51 PM
QuoteThe much anticipated 'Battlestar Galactica' spin off 'Blood & Chrome' will not be coming to Syfy as a TV show – but hope for the series is not lost yet.

After receiving over 100,000 views in 24 hours, a leaked trailer for Syfy's new space drama Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome has eager BSG fans chomping at the bit for the series to air. Unfortunately, after much deliberation, Syfy has decided not to air the Battlestar Galactica prequel as a regular series – but there is still hope for a TV movie and a digital series.

In January, Syfy's President of Original Programming Mark Stern stated that he and the network were "trying to figure out the economics right now" and that a solution would be figured out soon.  Now it seems that the economics were not worked out in the way Stern had intended, as the network has decided to pass on the project as a regular series, but is leaving it open for the possibility of a digital airing.

In a statement made this week, Stern gave fans some insight into the decision:

"Though the vision for Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome has evolved over the course of the past year, our enthusiasm for this ambitious project has not waned." Stern goes on to say, "We are actively pursuing it as was originally intended: a groundbreaking digital series that will launch to audiences beyond the scope of a television screen. The 90-minute pilot movie will air on Syfy in its entirety at a future date."

Originally intended as a web series, the Battlestar Galactica off-shoot was later greenlighted for a two-hour TV pilot back in October 2010, but was subsequently pushed back due to intensive post-production and special effects issues. The pilot stars English actor Luke Pasqualino ( UK Skins) as a young William "Husker" Adama, a fresh academy graduate entering the tenth year of the First Cylon War on the newest Battlestar in the Colonial fleet, The Galactica.

As far as the leaked trailer goes, NBCUniversal quickly ordered it removed from YouTube and other sources, saying it was not an official trailer – but not before it went viral. Even with swift action, the trailer can still be found if you know where to look. Outside of a digital series, Universal Cable Production, which produces Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome, has not completely ruled out shopping the project to other television networks.

Fans of the successful 2004 re-imaging of Battlestar Galactica, and its not-so successful spin-off Caprica, were really excited at the prospect of  Galactica and her crew making a triumphant return to television. The recent news concerning Blood & Chrome is bittersweet, as there is still a slim chance the Cylon space drama might go on in the form of a web series.

"Hey, kids, here's some more garbage that gets made up as it goes along, badly, assumes there are no questions to be explored about any interesting science fiction concepts like, you know, fucking robots, and ends with something that makes you spend the next eight hours on the Internet bitching about it in 1000 word block posts."

Salt the ground so that nothing grows here again.
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on March 24, 2012, 12:03:38 AM
Sounds better than my approach, which was to watch the first part of season 4 first, conclude that after whatever problems it had theretofore had it was back on track, and buy the whole series, prior to the entire thing dissolving like a Vietnamese monk in front of the Cambodian embassy. :bleeding:

I just rented the first season, thought it was alright but not a must watch and never got around to watching further.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

It's Syfy. They want to run Wrestling & shows for women now.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

I love shows for women. They are more refined and intellectually stimulating than shows for men.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Kleves

Quote from: Viking on March 23, 2012, 09:19:40 PM
I blame Snake Plissken. I see your Manga fanboi and raise you a plagarist.
They should have called it Escape from New York III: Escape from Space New York.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on March 24, 2012, 10:25:58 AM
I love shows for women. They are more refined and intellectually stimulating than shows for men.

I suppose they are, to an extent. Shows for nerds are even more so. No need to watch Lifetime to stimulate your intellect.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Watched "Topsy-Turvy" again, a very badly titled film on the Gilbert and Sullivan collaboration, focusing on The Mikado.  I recommend. 

Josephus

Didn't watch that Tree of Life thing. did watch that Sarah Palin thing. Game Change. It was very good. Quite well done. Even shed a tear for her at the end.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011