Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2012, 07:33:05 PM
Quote from: frunk on March 26, 2012, 01:39:41 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 26, 2012, 01:24:48 PM
[Then that would've eliminated the triumph of the human spirit and due process over the non-ethical application of blind science.  It was no Gattaca and certainly no Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, but it was a decent treatment on the concept of science applied for society's benefit simply for the sake of science, particularly from a legal/law enforcement/civil liberties perspective.

Could've been much better in this regard, but it is a decent conversation-starter on the topic.

Well, I suppose if you want the human spirit to triumph...

Who doesn't?

Europeans.

Razgovory

My guess was hostile aliens or evil robots, but that works as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 25, 2012, 12:03:18 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 24, 2012, 11:58:01 PM
Tree of Life was painful to sit through.  I pretended to like it OK for sociability reasons, but I really thought it was dreck.
I did that for The Fountain.  I lasted ten minutes of listening to a girl describe its Buddhist themes before I cracked and just started swearing about it  :Embarrass:

I was also enraged because as far as I can see the film's not that Buddhist <_<

It's about accepting that desire (in this case, for immortality) is bad; i.e., it's fundamentally nihilist.

Why can't I ever meet people like this?  It's a cube-shaped world: where the gay guy gets to have nice chats with a girl, who is possibly Asian and probably has a fantastic haircut, about Darren Aronfuckingofsky and his themes, and he doesn't even appreciate it. :(

Also, it was a great movie and if it doesn't make you cry when he lets go of his ancient love, THEN YOU'VE MISPLACED YOUR HEART.  It's also fantastically shot, as you'd expect.

(I will say that Rachel Weisz' book seemed a little too conveniently paced to fill one third of a movie, and had no impact and little substance of its own; i.e., as an in-universe novel, I can't help but imagine it really sucked. :( )
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: frunk on March 26, 2012, 01:06:08 PM
I liked it too, although the ending was a little weak.  A nice, dark, dystopian finish would have fit the movie as a whole much better.

It was no Gattaca and certainly no Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

Underrated film, but I wouldn't call it better than Gattaca.

Gattaca is one of those movies that I adore despite disagreeing with the obvious message.  The movie is also susceptible to a radically different interpretation than most people give it.

Here's the short version: Vincent Freeman is a narcissistic asshole who puts his own selfish desires above the pursuit of science and the safety of his fellow astronauts, subjecting them to the risk of failure or (perhaps) death should his latent heart problem emerge during the year-long mission to fucking Saturn; further, it's not entirely clear that Freeman could not have worked at Gattaca on his own merits, given his obviously prodigious (if not embryonically selected) intellect, and the presence of Irene, who has the same heart condition he did--it's only clear that his heart problem kept him from Gattaca spending millions of dollars to shoot a known health risk into space and he was not satisfied with anything less, therefore he contracted with Adrian Monk to assist him in his horrible, horrible fraud.

And there is too a gene for the human spirit.  That shit's dumb.

I love that coda thing they edited out of the final version (it's on the Blu-Ray, natch), where they talk about how Emily Dickinson (amongst others) may not have been born if embryonic selection had been around in caveman times, and thus couldn't have given us her words.  Yeah, I bet Emily Dickinson, who lived in an attic and died in attic even though she was kinda hot, or at least rather fuckable, is really happy that she wasn't born, you know, cognitively normal and healthy.

It's also borderline pro-life propaganda.  Noodle that.

The real hero of Gattaca is Eugene.  Now that makes me bawl every time. :(

Five stars. :wub:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Emily Dickinson was hott?

Ideologue

According to a photo on Wikipedia!

Edit: I enlarged it!  Never mind!
Kinemalogue

mongers

Have been enjoying the Beeb's adaptations of the Dirk Gently novels.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Yeah?  I'll have to look into those.  If they're anything like the BBC's Hitchhiker's Guide--man, that was awesome.
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on March 26, 2012, 08:18:16 PM
According to a photo on Wikipedia!

She looks like some kind of cave fish dude.  What the hell are you thinking?

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on March 26, 2012, 08:11:10 PM
Quote from: frunk on March 26, 2012, 01:06:08 PM
I liked it too, although the ending was a little weak.  A nice, dark, dystopian finish would have fit the movie as a whole much better.

Gattaca is one of those movies that I adore despite disagreeing with the obvious message.  The movie is also susceptible to a radically different interpretation than most people give it.

Here's the short version: Vincent Freeman is a narcissistic asshole who puts his own selfish desires above the pursuit of science and the safety of his fellow astronauts, subjecting them to the risk of failure or (perhaps) death should his latent heart problem emerge during the year-long mission to fucking Saturn; further, it's not entirely clear that Freeman could not have worked at Gattaca on his own merits, given his obviously prodigious (if not embryonically selected) intellect, and the presence of Irene, who has the same heart condition he did--it's only clear that his heart problem kept him from Gattaca spending millions of dollars to shoot a known health risk into space and he was not satisfied with anything less, therefore he contracted with Adrian Monk to assist him in his horrible, horrible fraud.

And there is too a gene for the human spirit.  That shit's dumb.

I love that coda thing they edited out of the final version (it's on the Blu-Ray, natch), where they talk about how Emily Dickinson (amongst others) may not have been born if embryonic selection had been around in caveman times, and thus couldn't have given us her words.  Yeah, I bet Emily Dickinson, who lived in an attic and died in attic even though she was kinda hot, or at least rather fuckable, is really happy that she wasn't born, you know, cognitively normal and healthy.

It's also borderline pro-life propaganda.  Noodle that.

The real hero of Gattaca is Eugene.  Now that makes me bawl every time. :(

Five stars. :wub:

She would have been happier if she was never born?  People who are like that commit suicide.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on March 26, 2012, 08:11:10 PM

I didn't call it better than Gattaca, either.  Hence the use of "it was no Gattaca".  Counselor.

jimmy olsen

New Snow White movie looks insanely good!

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on March 26, 2012, 08:45:55 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 26, 2012, 08:44:52 PM
New Snow White movie looks insanely good!

tainted

Just pretend he's talking about the Julia Roberts one.