Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 16, 2012, 07:23:17 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 16, 2012, 02:21:04 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2012, 10:47:34 PM
I really don't get the massive hate 300 draws. I thought it was great.

Languish's snobbiness permeates all aspects of life.

This is why they needed an arbiter.  And so I came.  It's almost Christlike, when you think about it.

(The tacked on story back in Sparta is pretty awful, though.  I have no idea why Snyder chose to run with that, unless the studio demanded the movie be only 95% homoerotic, instead of 99%.)
It's a suck movie.  The only snobbishness is you insisting that you somehow see it as more than everyone else because you alone are not snobbish. 

He is hardly the only one.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Scipio

Quote from: 11B4V on January 16, 2012, 10:58:23 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 16, 2012, 10:47:31 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 16, 2012, 09:50:30 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 16, 2012, 07:23:17 PM
It's a suck movie.  The only snobbishness is you insisting that you somehow see it as more than everyone else because you alone are not snobbish. 

Yeah, it sucked.  I am normally pretty good when it comes to suspension of disbelief, but that movie went way past what I could accept.  I stopped watching after the second time the Spartans threw their spears at the Orcs and then, miraculously, had them back in their hands again.  That was, what, halfway through the battle?  Could never bother to watch the rest.
The thing about 300 which a lot of people miss (if I hear another wannabe internet smart guy moan about it being not historically accurate....) is that it is some Spartan guy telling the story of what happened.
Ancient story tellers were big on their exaggeration and inconsistency. He is very much an unreliable narrator.
That's a big thing I like about 300; its just the sort of film the Spartans would have made.

I respect your opinion on 300. To me it's an abomination.

I just seen the trailer for Red Tails.  :rolleyes: Not impressed.
I thought the trailer was pretty good.  Maybe Lucas can manage not to fuck this one up.  Although, a movie about the Tuskegee Airmen without Laurence Fishburne just doesn't sit right with me.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Scipio

Quote from: Ideologue on January 17, 2012, 03:31:31 AM
Concur.
It's nice to be reminded of a time when most black Americans were Republicans, the Germans were evil, and Cadillac of the skies was not an insult.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Larch

Eddie Teach

United States of Tara. Entertaining.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Scipio on January 17, 2012, 03:26:35 AM
I thought the trailer was pretty good.  Maybe Lucas can manage not to fuck this one up.  Although, a movie about the Tuskegee Airmen without Laurence Fishburne just doesn't sit right with me.

I thought the trailer looked like every other lifeless CGI air combat movie made.  And the scene with the good guys blowing a German cruiser to shit with their 50 cals does not bode well for historical accuracy.

Josquius

I'm watching an episode of the Undercover Boss USA.
hmm....
Its OK, like the British one, but....the way it shows everything that happens before it actually does just sucks. "Coming up: This, that, this, now watch!"

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 17, 2012, 07:04:10 AM
United States of Tara. Entertaining.

The first series certainly is, I had a struggle with the most  recent one though.

Same as Californication really.
██████
██████
██████

Kleves

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2012, 07:05:28 AM
And the scene with the good guys blowing a German cruiser to shit with their 50 cals does not bode well for historical accuracy.
Hopefully they at least get the part about the Tuskegee Airmen destroying Hitler's Me 262 fleet in aerial combat right.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Grey Fox

Can you guys fucking believe they are remaking Red Tails with gangsta niggers?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Anyone watch Shameless? It's an American version of a British series, I think. Which explains why it's so gritty. The US version, for once, hasn't seemed to bring it down to pander to the American audience. Last night's episode featured a masturbating two year old. :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Is it a network or cable show? Because that doesn't sound particularly outre for cable.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on January 17, 2012, 10:03:53 AM
Anyone watch Shameless? It's an American version of a British series, I think. Which explains why it's so gritty. The US version, for once, hasn't seemed to bring it down to pander to the American audience. Last night's episode featured a masturbating two year old. :huh:
Yeah, its good.
A lot darker than the British one even. The British one though it deals with the same rather  dark stuff does so in a far more openly comedic manner.
The British one has gotten unwatchable the past few series, I used to rather like it though.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

The American version doesn't have anything as tasty as that Brit chick cop.