News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Berkut on January 16, 2012, 07:13:25 PM
Uma Thurman was so insanely hot when she was young.

Dangerous Liaisons....drool.

Amen brother.
I remember the first time I saw her was in Baron De Manchausen. Her initial appearance, naked, coming out of the water on a shell, Venus de milo like left a deep impression on me.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ideologue

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 16, 2012, 07:23:17 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 16, 2012, 02:21:04 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2012, 10:47:34 PM
I really don't get the massive hate 300 draws. I thought it was great.

Languish's snobbiness permeates all aspects of life.

This is why they needed an arbiter.  And so I came.  It's almost Christlike, when you think about it.

(The tacked on story back in Sparta is pretty awful, though.  I have no idea why Snyder chose to run with that, unless the studio demanded the movie be only 95% homoerotic, instead of 99%.)
It's a suck movie.  The only snobbishness is you insisting that you somehow see it as more than everyone else because you alone are not snobbish.

Whoa.  Meta.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

It's a suck movie.  The only snobbishness is you insisting that you somehow see it as more than everyone else because you alone are not snobbish. 

Yeah, it sucked.  I am normally pretty good when it comes to suspension of disbelief, but that movie went way past what I could accept.  I stopped watching after the second time the Spartans threw their spears at the Orcs and then, miraculously, had them back in their hands again.  That was, what, halfway through the battle?  Could never bother to watch the rest.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on November 16, 2011, 12:58:40 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on November 16, 2011, 12:11:57 AM
That's progress, in a way.   :hmm:

One of my pet peeves is how monsters always have to be the same.  Werewolves are vulnerable to silver, vampires to wooden stakes, Zombies can only be killed by a shot to the brain.  These seem kinda arbitrary.  In a world where people actually believe in magic, being arbitrary works because magic is arbitrary.  It's not suppose to make sense.  But in the modern world where people try to rationalize these things it always seems silly.  Take the vampires.  Why are vampires allergic to sharp wood?  I know why legends had people stake a vampire.  It was to keep him from getting back up.  You drove a wooden stake into a vampire to pin him to the ground.  Then you cut his head off (and stuffed it with holy wafers and lit him on fire). Incidentally, the way they killed Dracula was that they cut off his head with an large knife.

Sometimes in a movie the characters will scoff at the idea of one the traditional weakness.  "You don't drive back a vampire with a crucifix.  That's silly.  You have to use garlic."  That strikes me as absurd.  Why garlic?  Will an ordinary onion work?  What about a leek?  They are pretty close to garlic.

Rhode Island has the most vampire myths in the nation and had vampire scares as late as the 1890s.

The real way to kill a vampire is to cut out its heart and burn it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

I believe the doctor in Lifeforce explained the stabbing in the heart thing.
PDH!

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on January 16, 2012, 09:50:30 PM

Yeah, it sucked.  I am normally pretty good when it comes to suspension of disbelief, but that movie went way past what I could accept.  I stopped watching after the second time the Spartans threw their spears at the Orcs and then, miraculously, had them back in their hands again.  That was, what, halfway through the battle?  Could never bother to watch the rest.
The thing about 300 which a lot of people miss (if I hear another wannabe internet smart guy moan about it being not historically accurate....) is that it is some Spartan guy telling the story of what happened.
Ancient story tellers were big on their exaggeration and inconsistency. He is very much an unreliable narrator.
That's a big thing I like about 300; its just the sort of film the Spartans would have made.
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

Quote from: Tyr on January 16, 2012, 10:47:31 PM

The thing about 300 which a lot of people miss (if I hear another wannabe internet smart guy moan about it being not historically accurate....) is that it is some Spartan guy telling the story of what happened.
Ancient story tellers were big on their exaggeration and inconsistency. He is very much an unreliable narrator.
That's a big thing I like about 300; its just the sort of film the Spartans would have made.

I respect your opinion on 300. To me it's an abomination.

I just seen the trailer for Red Tails.  :rolleyes: Not impressed.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on January 15, 2012, 04:51:48 PM
Statistics prove that Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain are, together, directly responsible for the majority of mental illness in the United States.

I think I said it before but I think Requiem would have made an impression on me if I had been in my early/mid-teens. As it was, meh.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

I just thought it was supposed to be visual erotica with some kinky violence thrown in.

11B4V

I did get another watching of this. Smashing good show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODM1RJe4FvQ

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2012, 11:08:56 PM
Statistics prove that Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain are, together, directly responsible for the majority of mental illness in the United States.

I think I said it before but I think Requiem would have made an impression on me if I had been in my early/mid-teens. As it was, meh.

Huh.  Why then, but not later?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on January 16, 2012, 11:43:06 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2012, 11:08:56 PM

Huh.  Why then, but not later?

I'd already been desensitized later. :(

Ideologue

:(

The only thing I didn't like was that it had the nerve to put the involuntary, likely long-term confinement of three of the leads (and the maiming of Jared Leto's character) on the same level as doing some sex work.  Connolly got off way easier than the others.
Kinemalogue