News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Star Trek Prodigy, Ep. 4. The visuals are still gorgeous. The abse premise of the plot was ok. But man, the main character is really not doing it for me. I guess they set him up as a self-centered jerk to have him undergo an arc where he becomes a selfless hero, but he's just soooo insufferable. And the the guys on board still need to learn to work as a team (poignant moment when one of the characters asks, earnestly, "Why did you save me last?"). But it feels for every step forward there's one or two back.

Not quite giving up on it yet. There's still some mystery (how did the ship get to the Delta Quadrant, and where is its crew?). And I'm reminding myself that the start of Star Wars Rebels was likewise very basic and aimed at kids, and it became a lot more later on.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Found this bit on subtitles intetesting.
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/oct/14/squid-game-netflix-translations-subtitle-problem

Was searching for something else though... Apparently the Spanish translation was machine translated and is causing a tizzy amongst Spanish translators. All articles seem to be purely in Spanish though.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on November 12, 2021, 01:26:15 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/oct/14/squid-game-netflix-translations-subtitle-problem

Was searching for something else though... Apparently the Spanish translation was machine translated and is causing a tizzy amongst Spanish translators. All articles seem to be purely in Spanish though.

Yeah, this has been causing a stir. Netflix is using machine translation for a lot of stuff and then pays a pittance to translators to just revise it. The results are often disastrous.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on November 12, 2021, 01:29:39 PM

Yeah, this has been causing a stir. Netflix is using machine translation for a lot of stuff and then pays a pittance to translators to just revise it. The results are often disastrous.

Oh yes. This is even worse than the self-proclaimed translators who claim to be so because they happen to know a bit of the source language.

Some crappy dubbing, even by the admittedly stygianly low standards of dubbing, has shown up as well. It can be hilarious though, unlike bad subtitles.

Maladict

Not just Netflix. And translators have been under-payed for years.

Watched the first two or three eps of Squid Game the other day. I got bored.

The Brain

What's the USP of Squid Game?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Marvel has just announced a new X Men animated show with the Wolverine meme.  :lol:

celedhring

Quote from: Maladict on November 12, 2021, 01:37:58 PM

I admit I'm slogging through it myself. The games are cool, but the the show is really slow in getting to them.

One of the fun things is seeing how some of those games are very similar to playground games I played myself as a kid, despite the cultural and geographical distance.

Savonarola

Not Another Teen Movie (2001)

I saw this was available on Netflix streaming.  It works when it parodies John Hughes movies and teen rom-coms (the cameo by Molly Ringwald (:wub:) at the end was great.)  It falls apart when it parodies gross out movies and raunchy teen sex comedies; the joke in those movies is that the characters' behavior or what's happening to them is either gross or outrageous - making it grosser or more outrageous doesn't make it funnier.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

I love Not Another Teen Movie.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on November 12, 2021, 01:48:05 PM

I admit I'm slogging through it myself. The games are cool, but the the show is really slow in getting to them.

One of the fun things is seeing how some of those games are very similar to playground games I played myself as a kid, despite the cultural and geographical distance.

Yeah. I only watched the first episode and I remember when i was in cub scouts we played a version of "Red Light Green Light" only we called it Lighthouse. (the caller would turn around like a lighthouse). Needless to say, we didn't have any killings in it. If you were seen moving you got sent out. Winner was the first person to tag the Lighthouse person.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on November 13, 2021, 07:27:14 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 12, 2021, 01:48:05 PM

Yeah. I only watched the first episode and I remember when i was in cub scouts we played a version of "Red Light Green Light" only we called it Lighthouse. (the caller would turn around like a lighthouse). Needless to say, we didn't have any killings in it. If you were seen moving you got sent out. Winner was the first person to tag the Lighthouse person.

For some bizarre reason, we know it as "English hide-and-seek" over here.

In the version I played the person tagging the counter had to run all the way to the start line, and the counter could catch him/her and steal the win.

Sheilbh

Yeah I think i'ts called Granny's footsteps here - but I definitely remember playing it.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

We also played something similar to the game the "recruiter" plays with the protagonist in the subway station (trying to turn over those pieces of cardboard). We used coins or cardboard tokens instead. You could keep any token/coin that you were able to turn over.

There's also when they play tug-of-war, which is pretty universal.

And that's where I'm up to.  :P

Josquius

Their version of marbles is dumb.
██████
██████
██████