Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: grumbler on December 31, 2020, 10:30:50 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 31, 2020, 10:28:59 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 31, 2020, 09:05:22 PM
That movie has cult status in Quebec, in its Quebec's joual (slang, I guess...) dubbed version:
Why 'Slap Shot' Captures the 1970s Better Than Any Other Sports Movie

It probably contains everything you shouldn't put in a movie today :D :P

How can any movie claim to capture 70s malaise better than Taxi Driver?

The '70s in the US equate to the '50s in Canada.

Does that mean Canada is just now hitting the year 2001? :hmm:

Duque de Bragança

That movie has cult status in Quebec, in its Quebec's joual (slang, I guess...) dubbed version:

Used excerpts of it for a master thesis to highlight ice hockey terminological differences between European French and Canadian French, from the original North American English. :)

PS: I don't like much dubs generally, but the Québec dub is better than the French dub.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 31, 2020, 10:28:59 PM

How can any movie claim to capture 70s malaise better than Taxi Driver?

It limited it to sports movies.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Watched Soul. It's very good but for some reason it didn't land emotionally in the same way Up/Wall-E/Inside Out did. Can't quite put my finger on why. As a failing "artist" in his mid-40s I should feel really close to the subject matter  :lol:

I think in the end it felt a bit too calculated.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on January 02, 2021, 04:45:18 AM
Watched Soul. It's very good but for some reason it didn't land emotionally in the same way Up/Wall-E/Inside Out did.

Mart was also a bit disappointed.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

He is a lawyer and thus has none.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 01, 2021, 07:59:34 AM

Used excerpts of it for a master thesis to highlight ice hockey terminological differences between European French and Canadian French, from the original North American English. :)

PS: I don't like much dubs generally, but the Québec dub is better than the French dub.

Never ceases to strike me as amazingly bizzare that you guys get this whilst we are stuck with American dubs.
On those occasions where I've seen foreign movies with British dubs they actually seem better. There's less dissonance between what I see and hear.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Watched Spiderman Far From Home. Had some funny moments. 
PDH!

The Brain

Dracula Untold. Prince Vlad of Transylvania is desperate for power to save his family and people from the Turks, but can the price be too high? With an enemy cunning enough to [spoiler]blindfold his own troops[/spoiler] you need all the help you can get... The movie is perfectly fine for what it is. There's decent script and scenery and effects, and the chick is hot.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

David Copperfield - the new one. It's actually quite good. Great cast. Follows the current trend of just casting for character so you have people of all colours and even family being totally different with one exception. It seems Armando Ianucci is behind it, which explains the goodness.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

Its still kinda Christmas, so we watched Gremlins.
PDH!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on January 02, 2021, 10:18:30 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 01, 2021, 07:59:34 AM

Never ceases to strike me as amazingly bizzare that you guys get this whilst we are stuck with American dubs.
On those occasions where I've seen foreign movies with British dubs they actually seem better. There's less dissonance between what I see and hear.

Slap Shot is actually an early exception, given the privileged relationship between Francophone Canadians and hockey. AFAIK (Viper and Oexmelin know more about it), French Canadian Dubs, distinct from European French, only became common in the '90s, not the other way around.

In some early cases, Canadian French dubs, without any Québec dialect or sociolect like Joual, have been used from the very beginning in francophone Europe, such as for Star Trek TOS or Space 1999.

Then there is Disney which feels like redubbing every 20/30 years or so some classics to get a 5.1 track or modernized language (sic). Expect more of that crap with the move to Disney+.

PS: Portugal had lots of (crappy) Brazilian dubs for animation films until the '90s as well. Being an original version country made the contrast unpalatable I guess, despite being familiar with Brazilian accents thanks to the godawful Brazilian telenovelas.

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 03, 2021, 08:45:21 AMPS: Portugal had lots of (crappy) Brazilian dubs for animation films until the '90s as well. Being an original version country made the contrast unpalatable I guess, despite being familiar with Brazilian accents thanks to the godawful Brazilian telenovelas.

Same in Spain, for a good while most Disney stuff was dubbed only in Latin America and that would be the only Spanish language version around. IIRC it's only since the 90s that there are differently localized versions for Spanish language dubs, one for European Spanish and another for Latin American Spanish.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on January 03, 2021, 10:44:37 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 03, 2021, 08:45:21 AMPS: Portugal had lots of (crappy) Brazilian dubs for animation films until the '90s as well. Being an original version country made the contrast unpalatable I guess, despite being familiar with Brazilian accents thanks to the godawful Brazilian telenovelas.

Same in Spain, for a good while most Disney stuff was dubbed only in Latin America and that would be the only Spanish language version around. IIRC it's only since the 90s that there are differently localized versions for Spanish language dubs, one for European Spanish and another for Latin American Spanish.

I see Disney pulls the same crap everywhere and then some, by choosing the inferior latin american dub when there is one that is more than interesting:

About Snow White
SONIDO (VERSIÓN DOBLADA)
Pese a que disponemos de dos doblajes en español, no se ha incluido el magnífico doblaje dirigido por Edmundo Santos en Méjico en 1964.

La pista en castellano corresponde a un doblaje realizado en 2002 y se presenta en un más que suficiente DTS 5.1 de rango completo. Mantiene idénticas características que la versión original e incluso las supera debido a la mayor calidad de los diálogos a costa, eso si, de una menor integración con el conjunto de la mezcla.

La pista en español latinoamericano corresponde a un doblaje realizado en 2001 que desgraciadamente queda muy lejos del añorado trabajo realizado en 1964. Curiosamente, se trata del único doblaje presentado en Dolby Digital con una generosa tasa de bits de 640kbps.

Dada la ausencia de el doblaje de Edmundo Santos, decantarse por uno u otro solo atiende a  preferencias personales acerca del acento y los modismos empleados y no a la calidad interpretativa. Por tanto, y pese a que ambas son opciones perfectamente válidas, la ausencia del doblaje de 1964 nos hace recomendar la versión original como la mejor alternativa posible para ésta edición.