News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Re-watched 24 Party People for no good reason. I'd forgotten how fun this film is - I feel like I should watch Control again now but that wiped me out when it was released so I may handle with care.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

Anyone watch the Korean monsterpocalypse drama "Sweet Home" on Netflix that just came out?

I've read the web comic and it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rI56NmD33Y
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 30, 2020, 06:33:48 PM
Re-watched 24 Party People for no good reason. I'd forgotten how fun this film is - I feel like I should watch Control again now but that wiped me out when it was released so I may handle with care.

24 Hour Party People might be my favorite music biopic of all time (not counting fictional or semifictional stuff like Velvet Goldmine). I also think Steve Coogan has never been better in a film.

It introduced me to pre-Britpop Manchester, which is something one has to be thankful for.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on December 31, 2020, 02:44:42 AM24 Hour Party People might be my favorite music biopic of all time (not counting fictional or semifictional stuff like Velvet Goldmine).
I wonder :hmm:

I think my favourite in a way is Control. But I watched it at the local indy cinema as a university student who was a big Joy Division fan (still am) and it had a profound emotional effect on me - I still haven't re-watched it :ph34r:

I think the more "straight" music biopics can be really good - What's Love Got To Do With It springs to mind - but I really do like the ones that have a bit of a take, such as Tony Wilson's story as Tony Wilson would tell it :lol:

QuoteI also think Steve Coogan has never been better in a film.
I mean I'd argue for Alan Partridge Alpha Papa - but that's probably because I'm one of those people who grew up watching the various Alan Partridge series :lol:

But he is perfect in this role. He's like the anti-Mantzoukas - I think he has a similarly limited range it's just somewhere different on the excitement scale :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

24 Hour Party People definitely sits on my genuine list of favourite films of all time. It is truly excellent.
And to think I originally saw it totally by accident on a tiny bedroom TV.

Control is a fine film too. Though far more of a focus on Ian Curtis the man than the music.  A little bit up its own arse.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

I kinda watched it by accident, too. I was trying to close the business with a girl that was really into music and checking what was on theaters that seemed to fit the bill.  :lol:

Sheilbh

:lol:

Yeah I think I first saw it on a tiny bedroom TV at university. It is one of those films.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Damn, I kinda want to watch it again. Not available for streaming over here, but the DVD should still be at my parent's house. Guess a visit to welcome the New Year is in order.  :hmm:

viper37

That movie has cult status in Quebec, in its Quebec's joual (slang, I guess...) dubbed version:
Why 'Slap Shot' Captures the 1970s Better Than Any Other Sports Movie

It probably contains everything you shouldn't put in a movie today :D :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on December 31, 2020, 09:05:22 PM
That movie has cult status in Quebec, in its Quebec's joual (slang, I guess...) dubbed version:

It's not just a cult classic in Quebec - it's a fucking treasure.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Canadian cult classic, perhaps.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

How can any movie claim to capture 70s malaise better than Taxi Driver?

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 31, 2020, 10:28:59 PM

The '70s in the US equate to the '50s in Canada.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 31, 2020, 10:28:59 PM
Someone's not seen Holiday On The Buses.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Someone's not heard of it, even.

Anyway, I'll put in for Shaft. The 70s as imagined in their memoirs.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?