News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on December 26, 2020, 02:59:22 AM
Finished The Good Place. Loved it, and a satisfying conclusion. It reminded me a bit of Gaiman/Pratchett's Good Omens in that it tackled an existential topic and approached it with a lot of whimsy. :)

I was wondering why the actress of Vicky seemed so familiar, so I looked her up. She voiced Sabine Wren on Star Wars Rebels, so her voice was very familiar.

One day I have to power through the third season (always felt it jumped the shark after yet another [spoiler]memory wipe[/spoiler]) and finish it. Everybody says the ending of the show is great.

Syt

I expected Season 3 to be bad, but I enjoyed it a fair bit because it added a new spin and gave the characters some growth.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on December 26, 2020, 03:17:11 AM
Quote from: Syt on December 26, 2020, 02:59:22 AM
Finished The Good Place. Loved it, and a satisfying conclusion. It reminded me a bit of Gaiman/Pratchett's Good Omens in that it tackled an existential topic and approached it with a lot of whimsy. :)

I was wondering why the actress of Vicky seemed so familiar, so I looked her up. She voiced Sabine Wren on Star Wars Rebels, so her voice was very familiar.

One day I have to power through the third season (always felt it jumped the shark after yet another [spoiler]memory wipe[/spoiler]) and finish it. Everybody says the ending of the show is great.

Season 3 was the weakest and I said so previously, but going through the episode list even that came on strong in the back third or so (including a memorable episode where every character is played by D'Arcy Carden, the actress who plays Janet).

Glad Syt liked it. :)  celed, I think the ending is super-satisfying if you feel invested in the characters by that point. If you don't it might not land so well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Yeah, the finale for the show is genuinely moving if you're invested in the characters.

Sheilbh

Watched Coco on iPlayer. I was not emotionally prepared :weep: :weep: :weep:

But it was great.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

The Midnight Sky is an awful lot like Gravity.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 26, 2020, 10:01:45 AM

Yeah they're both set in space.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on December 26, 2020, 10:29:57 AM

Yeah they're both set in space.

And both have George Clooney!

Plotwise, though, nothing alike.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Eliza Graves/Stonehearst Asylum. Young doctor travels to remote insane asylum to learn the latest methods, but are the methods unsound? Before I started watching this I was unsure if I had seen it before or not because there are so many asylum movies. Turned out I hadn't. It is OK. Kate Beckinsale is hot obviously.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

The ending of the Good Place was absolutely great.  It was bittersweet, and well done. Which is something of a rarity.

We are just about done Community.  The last season is kind of iffy sometimes. but the show is awesome.

PDH!

viper37

OSS 117: Rio ne répond plus.

French comedy, a spoof of James Bond's 60s movie.  The action is set in 1967, Rio (hard to guess from the title :P ).  Just about every James Bond cliché is there, it's hilarious.  This time, he is partnered with an Israeli female super agent. 

Highly recommended for anyone who understands French, you'll get a good laugh. :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Larch

Hey Cel, are you watching Alex de la Iglesia's "30 monedas"? I binged it this weekend to get up to date and I'm loving it.

Admiral Yi

Pretty lame movie.