News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2020, 02:28:53 AM
Finished season 2 of Community. The two part paintball season finale was fun, but I didn't think it was as good as the original - as Abed said, sequels are rarely as good as the original. Great season overall. It had some absolutely amazing episodes - others were still great, but IMHO suffered from the show's peaks so far setting some pretty damn high standards.

For me the show peaked in season 2-bits of season 3. Were you able to watch the D&D episode?

Syt

Yes. I liked it a lot, but I'm not seeing how its considered the best episode by many. I think at least chicken fingers, the first paintball, and the claymation Christmas ones are ahead of it for me.

EDIT: Actually, I'd rank the clip episode, the Halloween zombie episode, and the bottle episode (Annie's stolen purple pen) ahead of it, too.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

I gotta say that my favorite episode might be one from season 5 (!). The social network one. Simply genius plus an homage to 1970s sci-fi.  :w00t:

The Ken Burns war documentary one too. That episode is what prompted me to actually watch Ken Burns stuff to begin with.  :P

Syt

Netflix is doing an animated? pseudo-rotoscoped? WW2 flick. The Liberator.

Trailer:

https://youtu.be/vZaIZgkCcXQ

:mellow:

This looks like they didn't have budget for a war movie, so they filmed everything in a studio, stylized it, and put it in CGI backgrounds. Which could work, I guess, but this just looks ... weird.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on November 08, 2020, 12:44:58 PM
Netflix is doing an animated? pseudo-rotoscoped? WW2 flick. The Liberator.

Trailer:

https://youtu.be/vZaIZgkCcXQ

:mellow:

This looks like they didn't have budget for a war movie, so they filmed everything in a studio, stylized it, and put it in CGI backgrounds. Which could work, I guess, but this just looks ... weird.
Puts me in mind of a scanner darkly. Which was not a good film. But I don't see why the style can't work.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I really like In a Scanner Darkly.

I agree from that I can't see the "why" of animation. Like they're not doing anything particularly interesting with it - the example I thought of was Waltz with Bashir which is definitely doing something with the animation.
Let's bomb Russia!

frunk

Quote from: celedhring on November 07, 2020, 05:03:11 AM
I gotta say that my favorite episode might be one from season 5 (!). The social network one. Simply genius plus an homage to 1970s sci-fi.  :w00t:

The Ken Burns war documentary one too. That episode is what prompted me to actually watch Ken Burns stuff to begin with.  :P

My current favorite is the conspiracy episode, but all of the ones both you and Syt mentioned are way up there.  The one that I would rate lower that's frequently considered among the best is Remedial Chaos Theory.  It's good, but it gets a bit monotonous after you've seen it a few times.

celedhring

Quote from: frunk on November 08, 2020, 02:57:08 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 07, 2020, 05:03:11 AM

My current favorite is the conspiracy episode, but all of the ones both you and Syt mentioned are way up there.  The one that I would rate lower that's frequently considered among the best is Remedial Chaos Theory.  It's good, but it gets a bit monotonous after you've seen it a few times.

I wouldn't list it at the top of my favorites but I like it a lot. I think it got a lot of reputation for originating the "darkest timeline" meme.

The conspiracy episode is hilarious too. I have a soft spot for all those episodes parodying film genres (which is a lot of them, admittedly).

Eddie Teach

Is that the one where they roll the die to decide who's getting the pizza?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

frunk

Quote from: celedhring on November 08, 2020, 03:03:23 PM
I wouldn't list it at the top of my favorites but I like it a lot. I think it got a lot of reputation for originating the "darkest timeline" meme.

The conspiracy episode is hilarious too. I have a soft spot for all those episodes parodying film genres (which is a lot of them, admittedly).

The first time I saw RCT I was pretty blown away, so I understand the love.  I like it a lot too, but I don't think it's among the best anymore.

frunk

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 08, 2020, 03:07:04 PM
Is that the one where they roll the die to decide who's getting the pizza?

Yep.

Syt

The conspiracy one was great, too. ANd I loved the b-plot with the giant blanket fort.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josephus

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 08, 2020, 01:47:23 PM
I really like In a Scanner Darkly.

I agree from that I can't see the "why" of animation. Like they're not doing anything particularly interesting with it - the example I thought of was Waltz with Bashir which is definitely doing something with the animation.

Maybe it's a lockdown thing?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Just looking for something to have on while I did laundry, I put on The Good Place for a second watch.

Now I'm sucked in again - midway through season 2.  Fork I liked this show.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.