News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on November 05, 2019, 07:35:38 PM
Well they outlawed slavery and freed the remaining slaves. That was cool. Freedom to be a peasant.
Wikipedia says it was not outlawed.   :sleep:   Simply replaced by more economical and more practical feodalism.

I don't know. I used to have a long list of why the Norman Conquest wasn't ultimately that bad of a deal but really without a time machine to compare 12th century Anglo-Saxon England with 12th Century Norman England I guess we will never know.
Still from Wikipedia, there's apparently not enough date to compare the life of peasants before 1066 and after 1066 to draw conclusions on either way.  The harrying of the North was mostly a myth, and Norman oppression of Saxons too.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on November 06, 2019, 02:37:31 PM
It's decently entertaining if you like the saga (certainly more enjoyable than Genisys or Salvation), but it feels really lazy.
I did like Salvation :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Quote from: viper37 on November 07, 2019, 03:56:57 PM
Still from Wikipedia, there's apparently not enough date to compare the life of peasants before 1066 and after 1066 to draw conclusions on either way.  The harrying of the North was mostly a myth, and Norman oppression of Saxons too.
Not according to the Domesday Book :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 07, 2019, 04:00:03 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 07, 2019, 03:56:57 PM
Not according to the Domesday Book :mellow:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrying_of_the_North
However, although the Domesday Book records large numbers of manors in the north as waste, some historians have posited it was not possible for William's relatively small army to be responsible for such wide-scale devastation imputed to him, so perhaps raiding Danes[c] or Scots[d] may have contributed to some of the destruction. It has been variously argued that waste signified manorial re-organisation, some form of tax break, or merely a confession of ignorance by the Domesday commissioners when unable to determine details of population and other manorial resources.[34][35]According to Paul Dalton,[35] it was questionable whether the Conqueror had the time, manpower or good weather necessary to reduce the north to a desert. It was evident, from the chroniclers, that William did harry the north but as the bulk of William's troops, Dalton suggests, were guarding castles in southern England and Wales, and as William was only in the north for a maximum of three months, the amount of damage he could do was limited.[35]

Mark Hagger[33] suggests that in the words of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle, William's Harrying of the North was "stern beyond measure"[36] but should not be described as genocide as William was acting by the rules of his own time, not the present.[a][33] Vegetius, the Latin writer, wrote his treatise De Re Militari in the fourth century about Roman warfare, and Hagger posits that this still would have provided the basis for military thinking in the eleventh century.[33] Vegetius said, "The main and principal point in war is to secure plenty of provisions and to destroy the enemy by famine", so Hagger's conclusion is that the Harrying of the North was no worse than other similar conflicts of the time.[33][37]

Other historians have questioned the figures supplied by Orderic Vitalis, who was born in 1075 and would have been writing Ecclesiastical History around 55 years after the event. The figure of 100,000 deaths was perhaps used in a rhetorical sense, as the estimated population for the whole of England, based on the 1086 Domesday returns, was about 2.25 million; thus, a figure of 100,000 represented a large proportion of the entire population of the country at that time (~4.5%).[23][26][38]

David Horspool concludes that despite the Harrying of the North, being regarded with some "shock" in Northern England for some centuries after the event, the destruction may have been exaggerated and the number of dead not as high as previously thought.[23]

Malthus

Is it worth pointing out that "well, it wasn't really genocide", "it was the military style at the time" and "perhaps its severity was exaggerated" isn't exactly the same as "it was mostly a myth"?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

The French themselves were pretty unhappy with what had happened and William himself supposedly felt guilt over it so I think there was a sense that the king had gone too far there and transgressed what was politically and culturally expected.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on November 07, 2019, 04:07:49 PM
Is it worth pointing out that "well, it wasn't really genocide", "it was the military style at the time" and "perhaps its severity was exaggerated" isn't exactly the same as "it was mostly a myth"?  :hmm:
Yeah. It's a bit like Cromwell massacred the Irish, as was the custom at the time - so it's fine.

What's noteworthy is even at the time people were noting this was "beyond measure".
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I have to say it does sound kind of weird to call something from before very modern times a genocide.

The harrying of the north was so complete that we never recovered 😔
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

I really enjoyed Netflix's The King, though I can understand why some here might not.

Very different take.  :bowler:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

Weeks S4E11.  Superintense interrogation and execution scene at the very end.  This show has some real strong peaks.  And less straight downtime than most series.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 07, 2019, 04:07:49 PM
Ok, fine.  It was exagerated, it is doubtful 100 000 people were killed in 6 months and people of the North did not seem to hold any particular grudge - no more than anyone else - against the Normans according to Wikipedia at least, and what we interpret as anti-Norman sentiment is mostly a thing from the 17th century, lots (I mean lots! :P ) of time after what is today called the Harrying of the North.  Satisfied? :P

Syt

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/11/07/kevin-feige-marvel-cinematic-universe-tv-shows-disney-plus/

QuoteKevin Feige Says Marvel Fans Will Need to Watch Disney+ Series to Understand Future MCU Movies

The joys of each entry into the Marvel Cinematic Universe are that they can be consumed on their own to enjoy a fulfilling experience, but having witnessed all the films that came before them adds to the excitement of each adventure. In a recent interview, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige noted that, with the upcoming debut of MCU series on Disney+, the events of those shows will tie more directly into the theatrical endeavors, requiring fans to watch those series to fully appreciate theatrical outings. It's unclear, however, if it will be because the events of those series will impact the films or if the exploration of those characters will provide more context for the films in which they appear.

According to Bloomberg, "If you want to understand everything in future Marvel movies, [Feige] says, you'll probably need a Disney+ subscription, because events from the new shows will factor into forthcoming films such as Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. The Scarlet Witch will be a key character in that movie, and Feige points out that the Loki series will tie in, too."

"I'm not sure we've actually acknowledged that before," Feige shared. "But it does."

When the MCU first launched in 2008, each film in the series was relatively isolated from one another, with references to other characters and events feeling more like Easter eggs than crucial pieces of information, with the biggest connections being the post-credits scenes that helped tie the universe together. Nearly two dozen films later, the events of each film are intrinsically linked with one another, under the assumption that fans will have already seen every adventure that came before it.

In 2013, Marvel launched Agents of SHIELD, the first MCU TV series, which would regularly reference the events of the films. That trend continued with Marvel's Agent Carter, though Netflix's various Marvel series began growing detached from the MCU. While the events of all shows were undoubtedly set within one, singular universe, the characters from the films and the TV series were relatively detached from one another, even if some of the film stars made cameos in Marvel's ABC series.

Upcoming Marvel Studios projects include Black Widow on May 1, 2020, The Falcon and The Winter Soldier in Fall 2020, The Eternals on November 6, 2020, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings on February 12, 2021, WandaVision in Spring 2021, Loki in Spring 2021, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness on May 7, 2021, Spider-Man 3 on July 16, 2021, What If...? in Summer 2021, Hawkeye in Fall 2021, and Thor: Love and Thunder on November 5, 2021, and Black Panther 2 on May 6, 2022. Marvel Studios Disney+ series without release dates include Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, and She-Hulk.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

frunk

I'll watch any Taika Thor movie and the next GotG.  Maybe Dr. Strange if it carries more of the tone of his cameos.  The rest I'll skip.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on November 08, 2019, 08:12:20 AM
Fuck that.

Indeed. Who wants to give up all their time and money to watching Marvel superheroes? :wacko:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.