News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Oh, and I won't be watching any of the Disney+ series just so I can follow the movies.  As The Larch said

QuoteFuck that.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 07, 2019, 08:59:48 PM
I really enjoyed Netflix's The King, though I can understand why some here might not.

Very different take.  :bowler:

Watched it last night and enjoyed it as well.  Not sure why others didn't.   

The Larch

Quote from: garbon on November 08, 2019, 08:18:39 AM
Quote from: The Larch on November 08, 2019, 08:12:20 AM
Fuck that.

Indeed. Who wants to give up all their time and money to watching Marvel superheroes? :wacko:

They started that shit with the Star Wars prequels and the associated animated shows, then the MCU tried to pull it off with the SHIELD tv show, which was useless. At some point it just feels like you have to do your homework in advance to watching the main films, and there's a limit to the amount of crap I can put up with in order to follow them. Just more ways in which they try to rip you off.

The Larch

I mean, AFAIK Disney+ does not even have an official launch date in Spain. In some places they say that it'll come in March 2020, but it's not written in stone yet, and there are rumours that it might be delayed to later in the year or even 2021.

Meanwhile "The Mandalorian" (which looks awesome) will open next week, and will be finished by the end of the year. It will apparently only be possible to watch it legally in the US, Canada, Australia, Nz and the Netherlands. The rest of the world will have to pirate it.

Valmy

Different international release dates make no sense at all in the 21st century. It just seems like a great strategy to reduce the amount of money your movie makes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

I wonder if Disney+ will have Francophone content in Canada since it's releasing here before France. :hmm: 
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 08, 2019, 08:57:01 AM
I wonder if Disney+ will have Francophone content in Canada since it's releasing here before France. :hmm:

Stupid question. How "funny" do Quebec people sound to French people and viceversa?

The Larch

Apparently Disney+ is having issues getting into the EU because of their lack of EU produced content. But apparently it's also launching in the Netherlands, so who knows.

Grey Fox

Quote from: celedhring on November 08, 2019, 09:13:39 AM

Stupid question. How "funny" do Quebec people sound to French people and viceversa?

We don't agree on anything.

France french is dumb, full of badly pronounced porte-manteau words. Their words for schooling are dumb & very different from the American experience; yet they insist on translating them!

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on November 08, 2019, 09:14:26 AM
Apparently Disney+ is having issues getting into the EU because of their lack of EU produced content. But apparently it's also launching in the Netherlands, so who knows.

That rule has yet to be implemented.

What I heard is that Disney has issues with having sold rights to most Disney content to third parties throughout the years (i.e. in Spain Netflix carries most Marvel movies and Star Wars), and have to untangle that before they can launch in most countries worldwide. Apparently that wasn't the case in Netherlands for whatever reason.

Duque de Bragança

There are different dubbed versions for both dialects.  :P For movies, starting in the '90s.
OTOH, the dubbed movie crowd is more sectarian than the average.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 08, 2019, 10:12:21 AM

There are different dubbed versions for both dialects.  :P For movies, starting in the '90s.
OTOH, the dubbed movie crowd is more sectarian than the average.

Netflix is killing that industry. They just serve us the France version. Disney movies are the last bastion.

Valmy

Netflix is just helping the Quebecois speak correctly -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Apparently, Midway is much better than anticipated.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on November 08, 2019, 03:53:56 PM
Apparently, Midway is much better than anticipated.

It's getting pummeled by the critics on Rotten Tomatoes - its at 41%. I'll be interested in what Languisites have to say when they see it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius