And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on November 08, 2019, 04:05:37 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 08, 2019, 03:53:56 PM
Apparently, Midway is much better than anticipated.

It's getting pummeled by the critics on Rotten Tomatoes - its at 41%. I'll be interested in what Languisites have to say when they see it.

Damn how good was it expected to be?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2019, 04:06:44 PM

It's getting pummeled by the critics on Rotten Tomatoes - its at 41%. I'll be interested in what Languisites have to say when they see it.

Pearl Harbor's retarded cousin.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

The Irishman is getting lauded to the skies by the critics.

It will be an interesting viewing, given the recent drama over Scorsese's statements about movies as art.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

The miracle of exceeding low expectations.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on November 08, 2019, 04:09:26 PM

The miracle of exceeding low expectations.  :D
"BETTER THAN PEARL HARBOUR! (Two stars)"
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I should go to the cinema soon.
I'm torn between the Joker and Sorry We Missed You.
Yep.
I'm really up for a positive movie.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

From everything I hear Sorry We Missed You isn't one of Loach's best :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 08, 2019, 04:28:00 PM
From everything I hear Sorry We Missed You isn't one of Loach's best :mellow:

I've heard its pretty good.
And the "OH MY GOD I KNOW THAT PLACE" factor is tempting.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on November 08, 2019, 04:08:37 PM
The Irishman is getting lauded to the skies by the critics.

It will be an interesting viewing, given the recent drama over Scorsese's statements about movies as art.

Good to hear that, Marty is on a roll in his late years (Wolf of Wall Street ranks up with the best of his, imho, and Silence was incredible too).

Zoupa

Josquius

:yes:

The Netflix model won't work with so much competition.
I can't see the satelite TV model re evolving on streaming.
So the future is pay for what you watch?
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

I don't think all these platforms can survive, to be honest. At some point there will be winners and losers. I suspect Netflix will be a loser because the others (Amazon, Disney, HBO...) have the support of megacorporations that can eat up losses and sinergize better (i.e. Amazon sells you Prime Video because they want you to have Prime and order merchandise from them, rather than make money off Prime Video itself).

In music we ended up with a nice model where there are loads of platforms (Spotify, Apple, Pandora...) but 90% of the catalog is the same in all of them, because the music majors ended up getting out of the streaming market themselves and just license their stuff and pick up the checks. Here every studio is developing their own propietary platform. 

viper37

Well, the critics main point is that it is offering a balanced view of the conflict. :P

Ok, seriously, I wasn't expecting a 98% score on RT.  But everything is relative, and for an Emmerich movies, that sits in the middle of the line:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/roland_emmerich

Look the two previous movies' score: 29% and 10%.  Highest score was 65% for ID4 (but don't tell Duque, he didn't like the movie :(  :P :P )

@Valmy
I expected it to be around 8-10% RT score.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on November 09, 2019, 05:33:18 AM

Ok, seriously, I wasn't expecting a 98% score on RT.  But everything is relative, and for an Emmerich movies, that sits in the middle of the line:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/roland_emmerich

Look the two previous movies' score: 29% and 10%.  Highest score was 65% for ID4 (but don't tell Duque, he didn't like the movie :(  :P :P )

As far as Emmerich movies go, I'm all ears for Universal Soldier with Dolph and JCVD.  :D

Iormlund

Universal Soldier? No no. Stargate!

Loved the Ancient Egyptian theme.