News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on July 08, 2019, 09:30:44 AMThe problem is that you can easily picture this exact line being repeated in a Disney boardroom when the pitch was made.  :lol:

"How are we going to sell a live action remake of a beloved animated classic? Won't it just look like a tired cash grab by a studio out of fresh ideas?"

Disney's whole thing in the last few years and its plans for the foreseeable future seem to be remaking their entire animated catalogue of classics into live action films, I don't think they have to "sell" any of their pitches anymore.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on July 08, 2019, 09:39:13 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 08, 2019, 09:30:44 AMThe problem is that you can easily picture this exact line being repeated in a Disney boardroom when the pitch was made.  :lol:

"How are we going to sell a live action remake of a beloved animated classic? Won't it just look like a tired cash grab by a studio out of fresh ideas?"

Disney's whole thing in the last few years and its plans for the foreseeable future seem to be remaking their entire animated catalogue of classics into live action films, I don't think they have to "sell" any of their pitches anymore.

Or, in the case of Lion King, remake a animated film into another animated film using a different kind of animation. Good because people just hate that shitty classic Disney hand-drawn animation and yearn for more generic computer generated stuff.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2019, 09:43:48 AM

Or, in the case of Lion King, remake a animated film into another animated film using a different kind of animation. Good because people just hate that shitty hand-drawn animation and yearn for more computer generated stuff.

I guess that taming hundreds of wild animals and instructing them to perform Shakespeare was not really a realistic option.  :P

HVC

should have made them cheetahs, to freshen it up a bit.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: The Larch on July 08, 2019, 09:44:38 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2019, 09:43:48 AM

Or, in the case of Lion King, remake a animated film into another animated film using a different kind of animation. Good because people just hate that shitty hand-drawn animation and yearn for more computer generated stuff.

I guess that taming hundreds of wild animals and instructing them to perform Shakespeare was not really a realistic option.  :P

They have enough money to try :D . Might be cheaper then cgi in fact ha
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on July 08, 2019, 09:44:50 AM

:lol:

Finally some diversity!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on July 08, 2019, 09:44:38 AM

I mean I guess they could make a new film. Frozen wasn't entirely hated. Remember that?

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2019, 09:46:10 AM
Quote from: HVC on July 08, 2019, 09:44:50 AM

:lol:

Finally some diversity!

Well, all the lions' voices will be performed by black actors this time.  :P

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2019, 09:47:29 AMI mean I guess they could make a new film. Frozen wasn't entirely hated. Remember that?

Frozen 2 will open in November, right on time for the Christmas movie season. Get ready to take your kids 10 times to watch it.  :P

Valmy

My boys were not really Frozen fans. But my niece will probably see it about that many times.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2019, 09:32:42 AM
Making he black doesn't change anything though. Who cares? I guess it helps sell merchandise.

Disney is such a soulless bland organization. But I guess it hits skids like this from time to time. When I was a kid all they really did was market their stuff from decades before since they were creatively bankrupt. Then they made some good films for awhile and have been back to being basically worthless beyond purchasing really creative and dynamic properties and also making them bland and creatively bankrupt. It is going on 20 years or so now.

There is life in Disney yet - in of all things, TV animation.

Two of the best, most creative animated TV shows of the last few years are Disney properties -- Gravity Falls and Star vs. The Forces of Evil
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

I can't wait for the live action uncanny valley grotesque that will be Pinocchio.  :lol:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/tom-hanks-play-geppetto-disneys-live-action-pinocchio-1164553
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

have their remakes done well? Uhm, there beauty and the beast, dumbo, Aladdin, am I missing anything? haven't they all been lackluster? Are they gonna stop or just keep plowing through?

celedhring

Quote from: Malthus on July 08, 2019, 09:30:44 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 07, 2019, 11:04:19 AM

It's a fantasy, and making her black makes the story a bit more fresh and relevant than just yet another stolid Disney remake.

The problem is that you can easily picture this exact line being repeated in a Disney boardroom when the pitch was made.  :lol:

"I know - make her Black.  Making her black makes the story a bit more fresh and relevant than just yet another stolid Disney remake."

"I love it! Has the added bonus of making any negative critique defensive from the start - 'I'm not racist, but [this movie sucks]' will come across as 'I'm mean-spirited about casting Black actors'. We just can't lose with this formula. Everyone will talk about our casting choice, it will generate tons of buzz without the slightest effort, and no-one will care that it's just another remake."

Oh, of course the casting is totally cynical, I'm not denying that. Incidentally they released the first Mulan trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwCuWi3YviE

Also, regarding Disney still making good films, I liked Zootopia quite a bit.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on July 08, 2019, 09:54:44 AM
There is life in Disney yet - in of all things, TV animation.

Two of the best, most creative animated TV shows of the last few years are Disney properties -- Gravity Falls and Star vs. The Forces of Evil

I look forward to the live action remake of both :P

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on July 08, 2019, 10:01:11 AM
have their remakes done well? Uhm, there beauty and the beast, dumbo, Aladdin, am I missing anything? haven't they all been lackluster? Are they gonna stop or just keep plowing through?

All made money (some of them LOADS of money) except Dumbo.

The issue is that since the Pirates films finally got played out, all their non-animated fare has crashed and burned (besides the Marvel/Star Wars stuff, which is not done by Disney studios), so now that they found this vein they are strip-mining it.