And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: viper37 on July 03, 2019, 03:50:46 PM
The Predator (2018).

It is not the worst movie I have ever seen, that is the best thing I can say about this movie.
I still have 10 minutes 'itl the end of the movie. I'll make it.  Somehow.

I don't really get this movie, I don't get anything of the non sensical plot.  Nothing really makes sense, from the soldier's actions, to the US govt actions, to the Predators' actions.  And after playing with what he considers a toy, an 11 years Asperger boy now has a better understanding of the tech than the guys working on it for 3 decades.

Pass.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Little mermaid is gonna be played by a black actress. The backlash is gonna be fun.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Watching Solo.  So much better.  Light hearted romp, well paced.

Admiral Yi

[spoiler]Han shoots first.[/spoiler]  That's cute.

Savonarola

Spiderman: Far From Home (2019)

The world is still reeling from the events of the last two Avenger movies; new global threats emerge and earth's mightiest remaining hero is: Spiderman?  :huh:

This is another coming of age story, like Homecoming, but this time it's that the torch has been passed rather than a John Hughes type story.  It's not one of the better Marvel movies; the big plot twist isn't much of a surprise [spoiler]and is almost identical to the one in Captain Marvel[/spoiler] and the villains nefarious scheme doesn't make sense.  I did like Spiderman's character arc, and the movie set the transition to the new post-Avengers and post-Blip world; [spoiler]and the theme of fakery I thought was timely in a world of social media gone mad.[/spoiler]
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on May 03, 2019, 10:09:17 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 29, 2019, 11:54:36 AM

[spoiler]Kind of strange that instead of just re-setting the world, they bring back everyone who went missing.  Am I wrong in thinking that after 5 years away, having the world population double is going to cause a lot of problems?  Like you no longer have a job to go back to, your spouse may have remarried, that kind of thing?  How much do you want to bet this never really gets discussed in any further Marvel movies.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Since it was all life forms that would create over-population for any species with a quick breeding cycle.  For instance rats would have reached their equilibrium in a five year period but now half the rats from 2019 have returned.  Initially that would cause problems with infestation, then rat starvation and consequently the spread of diseases.

That probably won't be discussed in further Marvel movies...[/spoiler]

They did briefly discuss the changes in society caused by the Blip at the beginning of the film.  Alas they didn't get into the mechanics of rat over-population.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

11B4V

Cobra Kai S2: A-

Zabka is still the standout.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Liep

Stranger Things season 3: Uma Thurman's daughter is in it.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on July 03, 2019, 10:14:20 PM
Little mermaid is gonna be played by a black actress. The backlash is gonna be fun.

I guess. In a tiresome deja vu sort of way.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

The maid is black. Yay stereotypes. Let me guess: she's a corpulent sassy woman who dotes on the daughter of the family and doesn't take shit from anybody, and freely shares her down-to-earth wisdom.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Reverse cultural appropriation
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josephus on July 06, 2019, 07:15:23 AM

Reverse cultural appropriation

Actually it's so reactionary... A non race-fluid and non genderqueer little mermaid is clearly whitriarchal.

FunkMonk

Midsommar. Quite good, though I felt it was a tad too long. If you liked Hereditary, you'll like this, although they're completely different horror movies.

I'll add a caveat to this: Midsommar is not really a horror movie, but it totally is.

8 Swedish pagan cults out of 10
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.