News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

The Incredibles 2.  Watchable, not a whole lot that's new, except maybe some fun baby super powers.  Elastigirl is not as hott as she was in 1.

Berkut

Nacho Libre.

That is some fine film-making right there.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Sophie Scholl

Good Omens.  Quite entertaining.  Definitely give it a go if you have Amazon Prime.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Admiral Yi

Finding it tough to make it through The Last Jedi.  Maybe a little fast forwarding is in order.

Liep

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 01, 2019, 11:16:36 PM
Good Omens.  Quite entertaining.  Definitely give it a go if you have Amazon Prime.

I liked it because of Sheen and Tennant, but it turned too silly for me at some point around episode 3 or 4.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Quote from: Berkut on July 01, 2019, 07:26:48 PM
Nacho Libre.

That is some fine film-making right there.

And based on a real story!  :ph34r:

celedhring

Third season of Fargo - Not as good as the first two, imho, but Ewan McGregor is really great in it.

Third season of Jessica Jones - better than the second. They bring back a clear antagonist and it helps the show a lot. Even though the baddie itself is a vanilla Dexter reject, he's used very well to bring out the emotional conflict of the season. Sad to see those Marvel Netflix shows go :(

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2019, 02:12:19 AM
Finding it tough to make it through The Last Jedi.  Maybe a little fast forwarding is in order.

Instead of the fast forward button, I'd recommend pressing Stop. It's terrible.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on July 02, 2019, 03:55:09 AM
Instead of the fast forward button, I'd recommend pressing Stop. It's terrible.

Gave up.

celedhring

The Last Jedi is the only Star Wars film I have watched only once*. I understand what they were going for (breaking the saga's cliches), but the result was extremely joyless with some really stupid parts.

*Yes, that means I've watched the prequels more than once. I apologize for that.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on July 02, 2019, 04:04:46 AM
The Last Jedi is the only Star Wars film I have watched only once*. I understand what they were going for (breaking the saga's cliches), but the result was extremely joyless with some really stupid parts.

*Yes, that means I've watched the prequels more than once. I apologize for that.

Yep me too. I have had no desire to rewatch it.

And on breaking the cliches: first of all, it got boring after the 6th cliche broken, and there was about 10 more to go.  I am clearly not as much of an edgelord as the director.

Secondly, there are countless movie options out there. If I want a break from Star Wars cliches I will watch something else than Star Wars. I watch Star Wars because I want to watch Star Wars. So if I sit down for Star Wars, give me Star Wars.

Star Wars.

Duque de Bragança

How many times did  you watch Episode 1 ?  :P
This is way worse than the Last Jedi.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on July 02, 2019, 04:47:21 AM

Yep me too. I have had no desire to rewatch it.

And on breaking the cliches: first of all, it got boring after the 6th cliche broken, and there was about 10 more to go.  I am clearly not as much of an edgelord as the director.

Secondly, there are countless movie options out there. If I want a break from Star Wars cliches I will watch something else than Star Wars. I watch Star Wars because I want to watch Star Wars. So if I sit down for Star Wars, give me Star Wars.

Star Wars.

Yeah, one of the movie's problems is that at one point it looked like the writer/director was just going through a checklist of stuff he wanted to subvert, instead of you know, telling a compelling story.

Of course, now Disney will overcorrect and the new one will probably be completely safe and uninventive.

celedhring

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 02, 2019, 05:03:45 AM

Five times on release  :lol: :ph34r: :blush: :Embarrass:

I was 21 and a huge geek at the time. I also saw it on the telly a few year ago, as reminder of what evils man is capable of.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on July 02, 2019, 05:10:58 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 02, 2019, 05:03:45 AM

Five times on release  :lol: :ph34r: :blush: :Embarrass:

I was 21 and a huge geek at the time. I also saw it on the telly a few year ago, as reminder of what evils man is capable of.

Man, you have got a lot to atone for. I saw it once and it was enough to destroy to destroy my childhood illusions. Not to mention aging of 10-15 years instantly by becoming an old nostalgic fart (vieux con).
I tried rewatching them, not just episode I, some time ago and it has aged very well. Still awful.