News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

It's the same thing in the videogame industry.  The big AAA names spend hundreds of millions per title, and thus milk the same franchises over and over again. CoD, AC, the entire EA lineup ...

In addition all companies try to launch their own game in a new exploding genre (eg MOBAs or Battle Royale). This more often than not ends up in tears, as they lose whatever made their games unique, and cannot compete against established titles. Just like the obsession with churning superhero movies instead of, you know, making good movies that may or may not have superheroes.

Fortunately digital distribution has made outsiders able to get their foot in the door. So there is constant innovation. And eventually those successful enough are usually bought by the bigger distributors, often only for their souls to be consumed (by say EA). At which point the cycle of life begins anew.

celedhring

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 09, 2019, 03:20:24 PM
I know. Doesn't prevent me from lamenting the fact, though. We are kind of stuck between high-profile, high-budget teenage/YA fare, and great TV that is unfortunately weakened by serialization.

Yeah, the mid budget "adult" (for lack of a better word) film fare is mostly defunct in the US. One has to look elsewhere. I.e. the South Koreans are doing amazing stuff right now.

The Brain

The North Koreans are doing awesome stuff on a shoestring budget. Or they would if they were allowed shoestrings.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Malthus on July 09, 2019, 01:31:08 PM
Quote from: Tyr on July 09, 2019, 08:13:23 AM
Good Omens was pretty good.
Shame there's no sequel.

I enjoyed it!

They even had a bit of a sequel hook - that [spoiler] next time the big battle will be heaven and hell together versus humanity and its supporters [/spoiler]

There will never be a sequel (at least not a proper one) because, sadly, Terry Pratchet is dead, and the original was a collaboration between him and Neil Gaiman.

Yes. Apparently there was a lot of talk and definite plans for writing a sequel but Gaiman and Pratchett just never got together to do it.

Pratchett is a funny one. I really don't like his writing, have never finished a book of his. Yet TV adaptations of his work tends to be great.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on July 10, 2019, 02:33:17 AM

Pratchett is a funny one. I really don't like his writing, have never finished a book of his. Yet TV adaptations of his work tends to be great.

I get the feeling such talk would get you lynched in England.  :D

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

I don't understand how someone can't finish even one of his books. They're all quick reads, hilarious, and not terribly complex in plot. Some are weaker than others (I wouldn't start someone with the first book in the series, for instance), but...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Malthus

Quote from: Habbaku on July 10, 2019, 09:54:52 AM
I don't understand how someone can't finish even one of his books. They're all quick reads, hilarious, and not terribly complex in plot. Some are weaker than others (I wouldn't start someone with the first book in the series, for instance), but...

A good starting-point would be Guards! Guards!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

Agreed. Or Mort, which is one of my personal favorites and one of the very few I've read more than once.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Larch

Mort is actually his best rated book in popular polls, followed by Guards! Guards! Lots of his early Discworld books are excellent, and IMO his best novels were the ones involving the City Watch, Death or the Witches. The Rincewind ones were fun in a straight parody sort of way, but are weaker novels. Also, some one shot novels like Pyromids or Small Gods are also fantastic.

Re. TV adaptations, the only fun thing about them IMO is seeing Lord Vetinari being played with utmost gusto and self-satisfaction by Jeremy Irons and Charles Dance (pity that Pratchett's ideal choice for the role, Alan Rickman, never got to play the role), as well as seeing Christopher Lee portraying Death.

Josquius

Quote from: Habbaku on July 10, 2019, 09:54:52 AM

Less "can't" and rather "....this is dull. Lets read something else"
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

Small gods is the best of a great bunch imho, simple and full of great laughs.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on July 09, 2019, 02:40:03 PM
Not by chance the - imho - best superhero movies of the current era were not made at Marvel.
:yeahright:
you liked Fantastic Four so much?  Or was it Suicide Squad?   :blink:
;)

Ok, I'm a Marvel fan, and haven't watched much superhero movies outside of those.
I did like the Dark Knight, really, really liked.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maladict

Quote from: Threviel on July 10, 2019, 01:05:20 PM
Small gods is the best of a great bunch imho, simple and full of great laughs.

Small Gods by a mile, then pyramids. Most of the early stuff is good, although I can't stand the witches.

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on July 10, 2019, 03:21:39 PM
Quote from: celedhring on July 09, 2019, 02:40:03 PM
Not by chance the - imho - best superhero movies of the current era were not made at Marvel.
:yeahright:
you liked Fantastic Four so much?  Or was it Suicide Squad?   :blink:
;)

Ok, I'm a Marvel fan, and haven't watched much superhero movies outside of those.
I did like the Dark Knight, really, really liked.

Raimi's first 2 spideys
Logan
Dark Knight
Spiderverse
Incredibles
Superman

Better films than anything by Marvel.

Eddie Teach

Original Superman, or...? If so, should throw in Burton's Batmans.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?