News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Upon reflection I oppose the black little mermaid.
Living at the bottom of the sea the evolutionary factors that led to pale skin will be even more pronounced
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on July 07, 2019, 10:53:26 AM
Living at the bottom of the sea the evolutionary factors that led to pale skin will be even more pronounced

The fact she's human from the waist up, however, is realistic from an evolutionary standpoint...

It's a fantasy, and making her black makes the story a bit more fresh and relevant than just yet another stolid Disney remake.

Eddie Teach

Fresh perhaps, but equally (ir-)relevant.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 07, 2019, 12:34:57 PM
Fresh perhaps, but equally (ir-)relevant.

It's got people talking/whining about it and they have yet to even start shooting it.

Josquius

Quote from: celedhring on July 07, 2019, 11:04:19 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 07, 2019, 10:53:26 AM

The fact she's human from the waist up, however, is realistic from an evolutionary standpoint...

██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Get better comedic timing  :P

Anyway, finally got around to watching Suspiria, a film I was really looking forward to until I saw the tepid reviews. Yes, it's too long and really self-indulgent, but it's gorgeously shot and upsetting - even though it has its share of somewhat ridiculous bits, and the plot doesn't really make that sense. It's a completely different beast to the original (it's very serious/pretentious and doesn't have those Argento extremely ellaborate and playful murder set pieces). The whole metaphor with 1970s Germany is a bit whatever and tacked on, but makes the setting rather unique.

Again, enjoyable if you dig pretentious artsy horror (I do).

celedhring

Also I'm halfway through the third season of Handmaid's Tale. The characters and the world stopped making sense midway through the second season - for example June has really got waaaaay too many second chances given how punitive Gilead is supposed to be - but the show still manages to conjure those extremely upsetting moments that draw you in and horrify you.

Also, unlike the second season, which was very aimless, this one seems to focus more in the resistance and the creaks within Gilead, while furthering Serena's face turn.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on July 07, 2019, 04:07:52 PM
Get better comedic timing  :P

Anyway, finally got around to watching Suspiria, a film I was really looking forward to until I saw the tepid reviews. Yes, it's too long and really self-indulgent, but it's gorgeously shot and upsetting - even though it has its share of somewhat ridiculous bits, and the plot doesn't really make that sense. It's a completely different beast to the original (it's very serious/pretentious and doesn't have those Argento extremely ellaborate and playful murder set pieces). The whole metaphor with 1970s Germany is a bit whatever and tacked on, but makes the setting rather unique.

Again, enjoyable if you dig pretentious artsy horror (I do).

So basically an unnecessary remake. Obrigado!  :lol:

celedhring

It does have some good scenes in it, the production is gorgeous, and Yorke's music is way less grating than the original  :P

Josephus

Finally got around to watching the Freddie Mercury biopic Bohemian Rhapsody

It was entertaining and well done,and yes, we all know they took liberties. I found some of the timeline changes, odd. For instance, Freddie Mercury wasn't yet diagnosed with AIDS at the Live Aid show, and it wasn't their first gig in years, as they implied. They did another charity festival a few months earlier; in fact it was the one in Rio with the thousands singing along to Love of My Life that the film implies happened a lot eariler.

A lot of infighting about Freddie Mercury going solo, but at the time, other members also put out solo albums,before  Freddie Mercury.

So, yeah, Still thought it was very well done. Dude who played Mercury was really good.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on July 07, 2019, 11:04:19 AM

It's a fantasy, and making her black makes the story a bit more fresh and relevant than just yet another stolid Disney remake.

The problem is that you can easily picture this exact line being repeated in a Disney boardroom when the pitch was made.  :lol:

"How are we going to sell a live action remake of a beloved animated classic? Won't it just look like a tired cash grab by a studio out of fresh ideas?"

"I know - make her Black.  Making her black makes the story a bit more fresh and relevant than just yet another stolid Disney remake."

"I love it! Has the added bonus of making any negative critique defensive from the start - 'I'm not racist, but [this movie sucks]' will come across as 'I'm mean-spirited about casting Black actors'. We just can't lose with this formula. Everyone will talk about our casting choice, it will generate tons of buzz without the slightest effort, and no-one will care that it's just another remake."

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Making he black doesn't change anything though. Who cares? I guess it helps sell merchandise.

Disney is such a soulless bland organization. But I guess it hits skids like this from time to time. When I was a kid all they really did was market their stuff from decades before since they were creatively bankrupt. Then they made some good films for awhile and have been back to being basically worthless beyond purchasing really creative and dynamic properties and also making them bland and creatively bankrupt. It is going on 20 years or so now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

the thing that makes it weird is that if you're going for a nostalgia money grab, why change it?

As an aside, that's now two red heads that have been recast in remakes, ariel and MJ. Poor gingers, they get no love :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on July 08, 2019, 09:35:30 AM
the thing that makes it weird is that if you're going for a nostalgia money grab, why change it?

As an aside, that's now two red heads that have been recast in remakes, ariel and MJ. Poor gingers, they get no love :lol:

Red heads have no soul, thus hits too close to home for Disney.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on July 08, 2019, 09:32:42 AM
Making he black doesn't change anything though. Who cares? I guess it helps sell merchandise.

Disney is such a soulless bland organization. But I guess it hits skids like this from time to time. When I was a kid all they really did was market their stuff from decades before since they were creatively bankrupt. Then they made some good films for awhile and have been back to being basically worthless beyond purchasing really creative and dynamic properties and also making them bland and creatively bankrupt. It is going on 20 years or so now.

Avengers civil war was only saved when Feige threated t quit over some proposed changes (partially to make it blander and partially to lower the payroll costs)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.