News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

As I understand it they have the rights to the movie and thus they can re-use the parts, or rather the visual style, from the movie. Perhaps even do a ret-con of the movies for future releases.

Agree on Silmarillion, that is a huge project.

I agree on the kin-strife it is a good story, but there's the thing with five seasons. Hard to see how they can do 40-50 episodes on the that topic. Any other interesting events around it includes none of the same characters. There's an enemy, but it's another Gondorian and no orcs, elves or dwarves directly involved.

The fall of Númenor is a whole other thing, lots of stuff happening and Elendil and his family always in the middle of it. There would be elves and dwarves directly involved in major parts and a clear cut and known enemy in Sauron. Also some recognizable characters in Elrond and Galadriel. Fuck, even Legolas could show up on Dagorlad, help save granddaddys army perhaps. There's singular heroics, like when young Isildur saves the white tree and so on.

Liep

Den of Thieves. Sort of a dumb Usual Suspects, entertaining though.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Threviel on February 22, 2019, 03:35:26 PM
As I understand it they have the rights to the movie and thus they can re-use the parts, or rather the visual style, from the movie. Perhaps even do a ret-con of the movies for future releases.

Agree on Silmarillion, that is a huge project.

I agree on the kin-strife it is a good story, but there's the thing with five seasons. Hard to see how they can do 40-50 episodes on the that topic. Any other interesting events around it includes none of the same characters. There's an enemy, but it's another Gondorian and no orcs, elves or dwarves directly involved.

The fall of Númenor is a whole other thing, lots of stuff happening and Elendil and his family always in the middle of it. There would be elves and dwarves directly involved in major parts and a clear cut and known enemy in Sauron. Also some recognizable characters in Elrond and Galadriel. Fuck, even Legolas could show up on Dagorlad, help save granddaddys army perhaps. There's singular heroics, like when young Isildur saves the white tree and so on.
Go forward from the Kin-Strife then.  Go to the era of the Wainriders invading Gondor, Angmar attacking Arnor, the orcs and goblins attacking the Dwarves in the Misty Mountains, etc.

1851   Angmar temporarily defeated; Easterlings attack Gondor.
1856   Deaths of Narmacil II and Marhari in the Battle of the Plains, loss of eastern provinces of Gondor. Calimehtar becomes King of Gondor. Marhwini leads Northmen refugees out of Rhovanion to the Vales of Anduin where they become the Éothéod.
1899   Peace on Gondor's eastern front as the Easterlings are defeated.
1900   Calimehtar builds the White Tower in Minas Anor.
1940   Birth of Frumgar. Gondor and Arnor form an alliance, Arvedui weds Fíriel.
1944   Wainrider attacks resume on Gondor's eastern front, deaths of Ondoher, Artamir, Faramir and Minohtar. Pelendur becomes interregnum Ruling Steward of Gondor, Arvedui makes claim on sceptre of Gondor but is rejected.
1945   Eärnil II is chosen King of Gondor.
1964   Death of Araphant. Arvedui becomes King of Arnor.
1974   Destruction of the Kingdom of Arnor.
1975   Drowning of Arvedui with two palantíri. Angmar destroyed. Frumgar becomes Lord of the Éothéod.
1977   Frumgar drives remnant of Angmar army from the northern vales of Anduin.
1979   Bucca of the Marish becomes first Thain of the Shire.
1980   Nazgûl gather in Mordor, Durin's Bane awakes in Khazad-dûm. Death of Durin VI, Náin I becomes King of Durin's folk.
1981   Death of Náin I. Dwarves flee Moria, deaths of Amroth and Nimrodel, Silvan Elves flee south, Galadriel and Celeborn return to Laurelindórenan.
1999   Erebor founded, the Arkenstone discovered.
2000   The Nazgûl issue from Mordor and besiege Minas Ithil.
2002   Capture of Minas Ithil and its palantír, Minas Anor renamed Minas Tirith
2043   Death of Eärnil II, Eärnur becomes King of Gondor. The Witch-king issues a challenge to Eärnur.
2050   Second challenge issued to Eärnur. Death of Eärnur. Mardil Voronwë becomes Ruling Steward of Gondor.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

KRonn

Quote from: Josephus on February 22, 2019, 11:47:15 AM
Quote from: KRonn on February 22, 2019, 10:50:55 AM
Starz is cancelling Counterpart, which is a really good show, has excellent ratings even by Rotten Tomatoes which last time I looked was 100% there. The show's studio is now looking for another vendor and I'm hoping it gets picked up. It's a really good show with a unique story line, good actors and writing.

That sucks. It was quite under rated, but I really enjoyed it.

Agreed. I hope they find another provider for it. It had great ratings, so not sure why they cancelled after two seasons. I assume they weren't getting viewers but I wouldn't think that's the case with its ratings.

Admiral Yi

Watched maybe last two reels of Mary Shelly (Frankenstein author).  Kind of a high brow bodice ripper.  I liked it.  A little slowish maybe. The three pinciples are very well played

Syt

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/02/23/captain-marvel-rotten-tomatoes-review-bombing/

Quote'Captain Marvel' Review Bombers Have Dropped Rotten Tomatoes Audience Rating to Lowest in MCU

The fake Rotten Tomatoes review onslaught continues for Captain Marvel, giving the film the lowest-rating of all Marvel Cinematic Universe movies on the site nearly two weeks ahead of its release. As of this writing, Captain Marvel now has a 52% Audience Rating, a whopping 18 points below the next lowest MCU flick — 2008's The Incredible Hulk.

Starting earlier this week, a certain section of the internet — for whatever reason — decided to start filing fake negative reviews in an attempt to purposefully lower the film's Audience Rating. A similar situation took place with Marvel Studios' Black Panther last year, which has one of the lowest Audience Ratings (71%) on Rotten Tomatoes, despite being nominated for an astonishing seven Academy Awards, including setting history as the first-ever superhero film nominated for Best Picture.

Fortunately enough for the House of Mouse, the reviewing "bombing" of Black Panther had no ill effect on its box office haul. The Ryan Coogler-directed film ended up grossing over $1.3 billion worldwide, including a record-setting $700 million domestically. It's the highest-earning superhero movie to ever debut in America and is third all-time on the domestic earnings list only behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Avatar.

It appears if Captain Marvel will end up having a similar box office situation. In addition to glowing reviews from critics, the movie is now tracking for a staggering $120 million opening weekend, which would end up making Captain Marvel one of the highest-earning solo films in the MCU.

Captain Marvel stars Academy Award-winner Brie Larson (Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel), Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury), Ben Mendelsohn, Djimon Hounsou (Korath), Lee Pace (Ronan), Lashana Lynch, Gemma Chan (Minn-Erva), Algenis Perez Soto, Rune Temte, McKenna Grace, Kenneth Mitchell (Joseph Danvers), with Clark Gregg (Phil Coulson), and Jude Law.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Speaking of which, I find it amusing that the new big bad in The Punisher show seems to be an equal opportunity employer - first time I see henchmen squads in this kind of show having so many women in their ranks.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Tyr on February 23, 2019, 08:13:54 AM
Sexists?
Its bizzare

Yep. Mostly men who rant about how SJWs and their weaponized arm, Disney, ruin everything by putting women, or women who are clearly not into them, gays and minorities in roles they have over-invested so much of their psyche into. Brie Larson has tweeted a bunch of things that clearly got on their nerves, from not being grief-stricken enough at the death of Stan Lee, to urging people to vote during the midterm. For Black Panther, it was all about "those people" turn everything into matters of race.
Que le grand cric me croque !

11B4V

Quote from: Liep on February 22, 2019, 06:47:38 PM
Den of Thieves. Sort of a dumb Usual Suspects, entertaining though.

Spot on.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 23, 2019, 06:03:44 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 23, 2019, 08:13:54 AM
Sexists?
Its bizzare

Yep. Mostly men who rant about how SJWs and their weaponized arm, Disney, ruin everything by putting women, or women who are clearly not into them, gays and minorities in roles they have over-invested so much of their psyche into. Brie Larson has tweeted a bunch of things that clearly got on their nerves, from not being grief-stricken enough at the death of Stan Lee, to urging people to vote during the midterm. For Black Panther, it was all about "those people" turn everything into matters of race.

When someone mentions SJWs I reach for my pistol.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

If that's not an argument for more gun control, I don't know what is.  :ph34r:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 23, 2019, 11:02:00 PM
If that's not an argument for more gun control, I don't know what is.  :ph34r:

It's from a Nazi playwright.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

This season of True Detective was on par with season 1 imo. Very good. Ali and Dorff are excellent.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.