News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 27, 2019, 07:55:29 AM
This season of True Detective was on par with season 1 imo. Very good. Ali and Dorff are excellent.

:yes:

Kept it interesting all the way through and ended well.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

Fighting with my Family (2019)

This is a comedy/biopic about the WWE wrestler Paige; it's mostly a cliche "Underdog" sports biopic mixed with a family drama, but what a family.  Paige's parents ran small time a wrestling league in Norwich.  The BBC did a television documentary on them.  Dwayne Johnson (who appears in the film as himself) saw the documentary and was so impressed that he decided to produce this biopic.  The scenes with the family provide most of the heart and humor of the film (except for one great scene where The Rock gives our heroine some advice.)  Otherwise the film is largely the Rocky montage.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

citizen k

Quote from: Syt on February 23, 2019, 07:16:28 AM
https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/02/23/captain-marvel-rotten-tomatoes-review-bombing/

Quote'Captain Marvel' Review Bombers Have Dropped Rotten Tomatoes Audience Rating to Lowest in MCU
Captain Marvel wasn't review bombed. The "want to see button" was limited to signed in members from the RT website when the interested percentage fell to 27%. Reviews are not coming out till 2 days before opening. Unusual since MCU movies usually allow reviews a week or two before opening. 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain_marvel

Barrister

Quote from: citizen k on February 27, 2019, 03:27:14 PM
https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/02/23/captain-marvel-rotten-tomatoes-review-bombing/

Quote'Captain Marvel' Review Bombers Have Dropped Rotten Tomatoes Audience Rating to Lowest in MCU
Captain Marvel wasn't review bombed. The "want to see button" was limited to signed in members from the RT website when the interested percentage fell to 27%. Reviews are not coming out till 2 days before opening. Unusual since MCU movies usually allow reviews a week or two before opening. 

When the reviews largely talk about "SJWs" I think we can say it was review bombed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Liep on February 27, 2019, 07:57:46 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on February 27, 2019, 07:55:29 AM
This season of True Detective was on par with season 1 imo. Very good. Ali and Dorff are excellent.

:yes:

Kept it interesting all the way through and ended well.

The ending was surprise.  I really liked it.  I know that a lot of fans were expecting something similar to Season 1's ending and were angry about the twist.  I wonder if it was done to intentionally do troll the some of the fans.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

citizen k

Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2019, 03:32:42 PM

When the reviews largely talk about "SJWs" I think we can say it was review bombed.
Where are the reviews?

Barrister

Quote from: citizen k on February 27, 2019, 04:06:51 PM

Where are the reviews?

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/02/19/captain-marvel-rotten-tomatoes-fake-reviews-sabotage/

QuoteA disproportionate number of comments on the review page cite issues with a perception that Captain Marvel is "sexist" for a variety of reasons including but not limited to the gender of primary hero, star Brie Larson's backing of a campaign to send under privileged girls to see Captain Marvel, and generally a number of trolls complaining that the film is a "social justice warrior" or "SJW" film. Some have even gone so far as to lodge the same complaints about Captain Marvel -- which, again, won't hit theaters for another few weeks and first reactions to the film aren't set to debut until tomorrow -- as a certain subset of "fans" did about Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

Sadly, this isn't the first time a swath of "fans" have attempted to sabotage a new Marvel film. Last February there was an organized effort by disgruntled fans to attack Black Panther with false negative reviews. While those "fans" claimed that their efforts were essentially revenge for poor reviews of Justice League and anger over Star Wars: The Last Jedi, many of the attacks cited complaints about Black Panther being centered around a black superhero. Now, with the false reviews of Captain Marvel also attacking the concept of diversity, be it gender or race-related, it feels a bit like a pattern.

Valmy

If Rotten Tomatoes allows random people to review not yet released films then that is just asking for troll reviews like this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on February 27, 2019, 04:29:08 PM
If Rotten Tomatoes allows random people to review not yet released films then that is just asking for troll reviews like this.

There are two scores, the Tomatometer, which is their "official" score and only pulls reviews from professional critics, and the audience score, which allows users to rate films and write something about them.

Obviously in a movie that for the mere fact of having a female protagonists in the superhero genre that is asking for trouble regarding the audience score. That there are so many no lifers that waste their time in this is depressing.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2019, 04:14:39 PM
Quote from: citizen k on February 27, 2019, 04:06:51 PM

Where are the reviews?

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/02/19/captain-marvel-rotten-tomatoes-fake-reviews-sabotage/

QuoteA disproportionate number of comments on the review page cite issues with a perception that Captain Marvel is "sexist" for a variety of reasons including but not limited to the gender of primary hero, star Brie Larson's backing of a campaign to send under privileged girls to see Captain Marvel, and generally a number of trolls complaining that the film is a "social justice warrior" or "SJW" film. Some have even gone so far as to lodge the same complaints about Captain Marvel -- which, again, won't hit theaters for another few weeks and first reactions to the film aren't set to debut until tomorrow -- as a certain subset of "fans" did about Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

Sadly, this isn't the first time a swath of "fans" have attempted to sabotage a new Marvel film. Last February there was an organized effort by disgruntled fans to attack Black Panther with false negative reviews. While those "fans" claimed that their efforts were essentially revenge for poor reviews of Justice League and anger over Star Wars: The Last Jedi, many of the attacks cited complaints about Black Panther being centered around a black superhero. Now, with the false reviews of Captain Marvel also attacking the concept of diversity, be it gender or race-related, it feels a bit like a pattern.

Actually looking at the published audience reviews gives a totally different impression. I wonder if they have been culled somehow.

The most common negative comments in the first ten pages (all I looked at) were:

- Trailer looks boring
- Actress looks bland
- Tired of yet more superhero movies

the "This is a plot by SJWs to undermine manhood" exists, as a tiny minority.

I mean, read for yourself.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain_marvel/reviews/?type=user&sort=

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on February 27, 2019, 04:32:40 PM

There are two scores, the Tomatometer, which is their "official" score and only pulls reviews from professional critics, and the audience score, which allows users to rate films and write something about them.

Obviously in a movie that for the mere fact of having a female protagonists in the superhero genre that is asking for trouble regarding the audience score. That there are so many no lifers that waste their time in this is depressing.

Again, I would recommend actually looking at said reviews. This strikes me as possibly a manufactured issue, where "boredom with an uninspiring offering" is repackaged as "outrage by incels at a powerful woman".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on February 27, 2019, 04:38:16 PM
Actually looking at the published audience reviews gives a totally different impression. I wonder if they have been culled somehow.

The most common negative comments in the first ten pages (all I looked at) were:

- Trailer looks boring
- Actress looks bland

Yet the pre-release ratings for MCU movies with male, white leads have been enormously positive.  So people clearly aren't tired of superhero movies, the trailer looks like the trailer for any other superhero movie to me, and there's nothing wrong with how Brie Larson looks. 

It's only when the lead actors are minorities or women that we see this phenomenon. :hmm:.

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on February 27, 2019, 04:42:16 PM
Quote from: The Larch on February 27, 2019, 04:32:40 PM

Again, I would recommend actually looking at said reviews. This strikes me as possibly a manufactured issue, where "boredom with an uninspiring offering" is repackaged as "outrage by incels at a powerful woman".

I guess that a cleanup by the site could have taken place, there's plenty of online outrage about the topic from the last couple of days. It surely could have been blown out of proportion.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2019, 04:43:36 PM
Quote from: Malthus on February 27, 2019, 04:38:16 PM

- Trailer looks boring
- Actress looks bland

Yet the pre-release ratings for MCU movies with male, white leads have been enormously positive.  So people clearly aren't tired of superhero movies, the trailer looks like the trailer for any other superhero movie to me, and there's nothing wrong with how Brie Larson looks. 

It's only when the lead actors are minorities or women that we see this phenomenon. :hmm:.

You are assuming your conclusions with this one, though.  :lol:

The thesis is: neckbeards are leaving negative comments because they hate women protagonists; the evidence alleged in your cited article is that "A disproportionate number of comments on the review page cite issues with a perception that Captain Marvel is "sexist" for a variety of reasons including but not limited to the gender of primary hero ...".

So I looked at the comments on the review page. Contrary to the article, the vast majority do not "...cite issues with a perception that Captain Marvel is "sexist" ...". Rather, they cite boredom with the trailer, actress looks dull, too many superhero movies, etc.

In short, unless the reviews have changed or the article is based solely on earlier reviews (I admit I did not read all 19 pages), the article is misleading, because the evidence it cites is not correct.

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on February 27, 2019, 04:51:55 PM
You are assuming your conclusions with this one, though.  :lol:

The thesis is: neckbeards are leaving negative comments because they hate women protagonists; the evidence alleged in your cited article is that "A disproportionate number of comments on the review page cite issues with a perception that Captain Marvel is "sexist" for a variety of reasons including but not limited to the gender of primary hero ...".

So I looked at the comments on the review page. Contrary to the article, the vast majority do not "...cite issues with a perception that Captain Marvel is "sexist" ...". Rather, they cite boredom with the trailer, actress looks dull, too many superhero movies, etc.

In short, unless the reviews have changed or the article is based solely on earlier reviews (I admit I did not read all 19 pages), the article is misleading, because the evidence it cites is not correct.

This story did blow up somewhat today - I've seen it reported in lots of places.

I would note that many of the comments that are up talk about other negative comments.  Assuming that all those articles are correct in the language that was used, it appears clear someone at RT cleaned up the reviews.