News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on September 02, 2017, 09:49:47 PM
Seems we're both confused about the nature of war.

Yi cried at the end of Wall Street

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

The part of Thin Red Line I saw on the telly once was awful. Soldier-philosophers philosophizing while a cartoonishly evil and retarded officer shouted over the radio.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Wonder Woman- I am teh sad. I'd heard this was finally a good DC movie. It is not. :yawn:
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on September 03, 2017, 07:15:17 AM
Wonder Woman- I am teh sad. I'd heard this was finally a good DC movie. It is not. :yawn:

Hey! Super villain Erich Ludendorff was awesome.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 02, 2017, 10:23:21 PM

Yi cried at the end of Wall Street.

At the end of Wall Street, Charlie Sheen walks into the state court civil courthouse.  No Fed prosecution for Gekko?  Perhaps life does imitate art.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 04, 2017, 01:10:40 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 02, 2017, 10:23:21 PM

Yi cried at the end of Wall Street.

At the end of Wall Street, Charlie Sheen walks into the state court civil courthouse.  No Fed prosecution for Gekko?  Perhaps life does imitate art.

The use of a suspiciously Jewish Securities and Exchange agent was a delightfully subdued anti-semitic touch.

Josephus

So

Twin Peaks

Was so looking forward to it, as one who watched it when it first aired some 25 years ago.

The last three episodes tried to capture the feel of the original but otherwise I thought it was  pretty forgetable.

Only thing I really got out of it, really. 25 years takes its toll on people.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

I suddenly have History Channel. I don't know if I can take this amount of non-stop history docs.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Drakken

Quote from: The Brain on September 05, 2017, 10:26:29 AM
I suddenly have History Channel. I don't know if I can take this amount of non-stop history docs.

First, they would have to have actual history docs.

celedhring

Alien Covenant. It's a weird movie. It's like they tried to do Prometheus again (the overall plot has many similarities) just a bit less stupid and ridiculous. It manages it on both counts, but not significantly so.

You know, when I was a teen and watched the original Aliens and Terminator movies, there's two things I always wanted: a) to know where the xenomorphs came from and the Space Jockey backstory  b) a Terminator movie set in the war against the machines. I got both wishes in my 30s, and boy what a disappointment.

Malthus

Quote from: celedhring on September 05, 2017, 03:42:17 PM
You know, when I was a teen and watched the original Aliens and Terminator movies, there's two things I always wanted: a) to know where the xenomorphs came from and the Space Jockey backstory  b) a Terminator movie set in the war against the machines. I got both wishes in my 30s, and boy what a disappointment.

:lol:

I'm laughing, because it is so ... damned ... true.

How could they screw up such wonderful opportunities? Yet screw them up they did.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

The whole alien backstory is now so convoluted that it no longer makes any iota of sense. I hope they let the franchise rest for a decade or two.

CountDeMoney

I was flipping channels last night, got stuck on Sixteen Candles.  What a great movie. 

I realized that I had not only seen it in the theater in junior high, but I had won four tickets (four!) from a rock station earlier in the week (100 KHI in Ocean City) to see it the night it opened (Caller number 12 gets free tickets for Friday!).

Then I realized everything from then until now has been pretty much a complete waste of time.  Fucking known that, I would've just waited for it on HBO.

Eddie Teach

Molly Ringwald hasn't been in any great movies.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?