News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Gonna give Tin Star a watch.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Watching La La Land.  Entertaining so far.

Syt you big homo if you're lurking; it's all about the chick from Superbad you have a boner for so you should check it out.

Eddie Teach

She's done several better movies than La La Land.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Name one in which she's the center of every frame.

celedhring

Zombieland-Easy A was the apex of her hotness imho.

The Brain

Saw 2001 in 70mm in a big theater. It was pretty damn cool.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

You guys really need to watch Ken Burns' documentary on the Vietnam War.  Tonight was Episode 1.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 17, 2017, 08:23:52 PM
You guys really need to watch Ken Burns' documentary on the Vietnam War.  Tonight was Episode 1.

I had no idea such a thing existed.

Yes, yes I do need to watch it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

I've seen Platoon and Full Metal Jacket, isn't that enough?  :huh:

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 17, 2017, 08:23:52 PM

It is good so far, but the jumping ahead just to include random anecdotes from U.S. veterans (the anecdotes from the Vietnamese seem to fit the time-flow better) is an unusual, and unnecessary, directorial choice and feels quite forced.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 18, 2017, 12:01:34 AM
It is good so far, but the jumping ahead just to include random anecdotes from U.S. veterans (the anecdotes from the Vietnamese seem to fit the time-flow better) is an unusual, and unnecessary, directorial choice and feels quite forced.

You might have to get used to that.

The brilliant, infuriating, boring, hypnotic Ken Burns documentary The Vietnam War

Quite frankly, I didn't expect to see Tim O'Brien in the first episode, either.  But when you think about it, don't all documentaries kind of interject their interview material everywhere, rather than keeping things strictly chronological?  Then again, maybe that explains Tim O'Brien. :unsure:

Tonitrus

I dunno...I thought Burns' The Civil War kept the chronology fairly well...consider the multiple theaters. 

In this...they're just non-sequiturs.  It's as if some network exec said "OMG, we need veterans in it right away, or either people will get bored quick, or think we're slighting the veterans by just showing a bunch of sub-titled Vietnamese and over-greyed politicos right out of the gate.

But then, I understand the production and perspective will be vastly different when looking at the history of a war where pretty much everyone involved is dead (the ACW), versus one where the influence of those who lived through it is still very present.

Tonitrus

Episode 2 of the The Orville.

Still not getting any better.  The characters are (with a couple exceptions) actually pretty promising...but, shamefully, there are way too many anachronisms for the sake of (mostly) lame humor...and this is keeping the show at having the depth of a deflated kiddie pool.  It will be lucky to make it past season one, or even to the end of it.

Eddie Teach

Seth McFarland is obnoxious enough as a cartoon.

Gups

Been binging Gomorrah, Italian made gangster series set in Naples. Superb.