Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on September 13, 2017, 08:05:51 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 13, 2017, 07:40:01 PM
Quote from: KRonn on September 13, 2017, 07:37:20 PM
I just finished, again, watching the series "Breaking Bad", recorded a marathon showing of it over several weekends. Even though I've seen it twice before I still wanted to see it again. I love the characters, the dark comedy/humor, the bizarre circumstances they get themselves into. Great show.

Also looking forward to the next "Better Call Saul" spinoff from "Breaking Bad". That show has turned out to be very good too. Good characters, some from the original show.

Hi KRonn, how's retirement suiting you?

I'm guessing rather well. :cheers:

Heya, retirement is very good! It's great to have so much time to myself. Such a huge change from working a somewhat demanding job. My first summer off and I had plenty of time for my garden and other things, just enjoying it. Still getting used to it all.   :)

I might go back part time as one of the managers there asked me if I'm interested. I'm considering it so I'll see if that happens. Part time only and not real demanding work since I don't want to get back into a grind again.

:cool:

Sounds marvellous.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on September 13, 2017, 08:15:20 PM
Well, I don't have to watch it now. ;)

It's not a spoiler type movie.

KRonn

Quote from: viper37 on August 27, 2017, 01:05:20 AM
Saw Hateful Eight.  Weakest Tarantino movie.

It was a violent movie, seemed maybe too violent or something for what it the perps were trying to do. Most characters were pretty nasty though. I think the only characters I could have empathy for were those of Kurt Russell and Samuel Jackson.

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 13, 2017, 08:32:34 PM
Quote from: Josephus on September 13, 2017, 08:15:20 PM
Well, I don't have to watch it now. ;)

It's not a spoiler type movie.

Was kidding. I read the book AND saw the movie.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Saw IT. Pretty much what I expected, which is a fairly good thing in this case. Two things:

[spoiler]What the FUCK happened to the sex scene? "Hey, let's butcher great literature! Oh HELL yeah, let's!" Fuck that.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I couldn't shake the feeling that Token wasn't a completely fleshed out character. Also it was weird to watch a guy like Felcher beating up on Token without a single racial slur escaping those tender lips. I'm not saying it was a bad choice necessarily, but it didn't feel realistic, bullies typically use pretty insulting terms for everyone they beat up.[/spoiler]
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Watched the premier of The Orville...exec summary: not at all impressed.

Duque de Bragança

Terminator 2 3D

Nice remastering job, but the 3D does not bring much IMO. Not done by Cameron, unlike Titanic.

Titanic (1943)

Could use a remastering but no cliché love stories at least. :)

Josquius

The Purge, Election Night- Nice to see them do more with the concept than in the original. Not amazing, but a decent little mindless action film.

Adjustment Bureau- Somehow I've managed to never see this. Quite a cool small scale fantasy film. I've heard the title in the past but I guess I always just dismissed it as an action film. It isn't
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on September 15, 2017, 04:59:22 AM
Adjustment Bureau- Somehow I've managed to never see this. Quite a cool small scale fantasy film. I've heard the title in the past but I guess I always just dismissed it as an action film. It isn't

It was basic and formulaic, but it was cute for what it was and I liked it.  It's a date movie masquerading as sci-fi, and sometimes that's OK.

KRonn

Quote from: Tyr on September 15, 2017, 04:59:22 AM
The Purge, Election Night- Nice to see them do more with the concept than in the original. Not amazing, but a decent little mindless action film.

I liked The Purge movies ok, not great but mainly mindless shoot-em-ups.

I liked Adjustment Bureau quite a bit. It's an interesting and unique kind of story in a fantasy/drama type film.

Malthus

Continuing my quest to watch good-quality, relatively recent children's animation, I watched Over the Garden Wall.

It is, well, awesome.

Not really for kids, though, or at least, not all kids (it is dark and creepy as hell). It is obviously heavy with references to early Max Fleisher cartoons (which I happen to love). 

Certainly it is not for everyone - it is both superficially and deeply weird.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Late to the party, but I've started watching Orphan Black. Pretty cool so far.

PRC

Quote from: Malthus on September 15, 2017, 03:04:42 PM
Continuing my quest to watch good-quality, relatively recent children's animation, I watched Over the Garden Wall.

It is, well, awesome.

Not really for kids, though, or at least, not all kids (it is dark and creepy as hell). It is obviously heavy with references to early Max Fleisher cartoons (which I happen to love). 

Certainly it is not for everyone - it is both superficially and deeply weird.

You should try and check out Song of the Sea and the Secret of Kells.

celedhring

Binged Defenders today. It's ok, miles better than Iron Fist even if certainly not one of Marvel's best. They really have a problem with all the numerous sidekicks they have accumulated though. The only thing they do here is sit around, be boring, and say utterly corny dialogue.

Anyway, bring on Jessica Jones season 2.

FunkMonk

Started rewatching season 1 of True Detective

Goddamn that season was perfect
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.