News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Gups on September 18, 2017, 07:15:57 AM
Been binging Gomorrah, Italian made gangster series set in Naples. Superb.

Did you watch the related film?

Gups

Quote from: The Larch on September 18, 2017, 07:21:55 AM

Nope. Any good?

Josquius

Finished series 2 of Master of None.
This is a very good show.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: PRC on September 15, 2017, 04:08:06 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 15, 2017, 03:04:42 PM
Continuing my quest to watch good-quality, relatively recent children's animation, I watched Over the Garden Wall.

It is, well, awesome.

Not really for kids, though, or at least, not all kids (it is dark and creepy as hell). It is obviously heavy with references to early Max Fleisher cartoons (which I happen to love). 

Certainly it is not for everyone - it is both superficially and deeply weird.

You should try and check out Song of the Sea and the Secret of Kells.

Good calls.

I've seen - and loved - both. The Secret of Kells is one of my favorite animated movies.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

Quote from: Gups on September 18, 2017, 07:58:34 AM

Nope. Any good?

Yeah, really good, but it's pretty different to the series and closer to the book in which they're all based. The series, AFAIK (I haven't seen it), is about how the gangsters operate from the inside, right? The film is about short stories of people that get involved into organised crime and its dealings, not necessarily gangsters themselves (one story is about a middleman who is in charge of paying gang subsidies to the families of imprisoned clan members, another story is about a young kid that wants to get into one of the clans, another story about two guys who steal a weapons cache and want to set themselves up as independent agents, another story about a tailor that works in clandestine Camorra controlled clothes factories and another story about a guy that starts working in illegal waste management). All those stories are part of the book, which is more about the personal drama of people involved in organised crime rather than a noir tale like the show.

Gups

Quote from: The Larch on September 18, 2017, 09:46:57 AM
Quote from: Gups on September 18, 2017, 07:58:34 AM

Nope. Any good?

Yeah, really good, but it's pretty different to the series and closer to the book in which they're all based. The series, AFAIK (I haven't seen it), is about how the gangsters operate from the inside, right? The film is about short stories of people that get involved into organised crime and its dealings, not necessarily gangsters themselves (one story is about a middleman who is in charge of paying gang subsidies to the families of imprisoned clan members, another story is about a young kid that wants to get into one of the clans, another story about two guys who steal a weapons cache and want to set themselves up as independent agents, another story about a tailor that works in clandestine Camorra controlled clothes factories and another story about a guy that starts working in illegal waste management). All those stories are part of the book, which is more about the personal drama of people involved in organised crime rather than a noir tale like the show.

Must check it (and read the book).

The series is largely about the gangsters themselves and focuses in particular on several leading members of a Camorra clan (it takes some getting used to the fact that the Camorra have a more flat command structure compared to the Mafia). However you do get individual personal stories within that.

Josephus

I'm very disappointed that the second part of IT is not coming out for maybe two years. They should have filmed them concurrently and released them around the same time, like they did with Kill Bill .
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Can't wait for Hollywood to start remaking all of the shitty Stephen King adaptations in the wake of It's monster success. Tommyknockers! Cujo! Dreamcatcher!

I'm actually half-joking, some of his books deserved better adaptations than what they got.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Drakken

The Dark Half! The Running Man! :w00t:

Eddie Teach

Looking forward to The Dark Tower.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Started with Outlander. Interesting so far.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

It's fun but at least in the books starts going off the rails when [spoiler] they leave Scotland[/spoiler]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on September 18, 2017, 11:29:54 AM
Can't wait for Hollywood to start remaking all of the shitty Stephen King adaptations in the wake of It's monster success. Tommyknockers! Cujo! Dreamcatcher!

I'm actually half-joking, some of his books deserved better adaptations than what they got.

Tommyknockers DID have Traci Lords :D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 18, 2017, 01:02:40 PM
Looking forward to The Dark Tower.

I saw The Dark Tower last month.  It wasn't terrible, but I don't think it was very good either.

Matthew McConnaughey did not make a very compelling evil wizard at all, though I guess I can respect that they tried to cast against type for what could have been an incredibly hokey role.  It's also very risky to make a 10 year old your main character.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.