News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Syt on August 16, 2017, 02:26:24 AM
Loved Good Omens, but the final chapter was a bit of a letdown after the awesome build up.

It's been a while, so I don't remember a lot of the particulars. What was the big letdown about the ending?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on August 16, 2017, 10:48:11 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 16, 2017, 08:46:14 AM
The most expected shows of the fall?  :huh:
TV critics are weird, so who knows? :)

I'm not sure what the phrase meant.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on August 16, 2017, 11:54:53 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 16, 2017, 11:41:27 AM

Most anticipated

Yeah, but how can something be rumored to be the most anticipated? The rumor implies that someone knows that, but the knowledge is secret.

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 16, 2017, 12:08:55 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 16, 2017, 11:54:53 AM

Most anticipated

Yeah, but how can something be rumored to be the most anticipated? The rumor implies that someone knows that, but the knowledge is secret.

I would say supposedly because what a news source says is the most anticipated would be something to take with a grain of salt in my opinion.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

The people who review tv shows are weird.  As in, they seem to have weird tastes.  Look at Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB.  Compare critics for tv shows vs movies.  TV shows get constantly high score despite their mediocrity, compared to avergage movies getting trashed by critics.

So, "the most expected tv show of the fall" might not meen much.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Drakken

Quote from: Syt on August 16, 2017, 02:26:24 AM
Loved Good Omens, but the final chapter was a bit of a letdown after the awesome build up.

Sounds just like The Omen III: Awesome build-up in the first two, awful final chapter that even a young Sam Neill could not salvage.

Josquius

Okja - Not what I expected. I expected something dark and gritty with existenz-esque disgusting bio-engineered creatures.
Instead....it's odd. Is it a kid's film? The tone is...inconsistent. I'm not sure if its trying to be comedic or not. The overall meat is bad message is rather preachy. Not a good film.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 12, 2017, 02:38:24 PM
American Anarchist

Interesting documentary on the late William Powell, author of The Anarchist's Cookbook;  equal parts "Yeah, I was young when I wrote that" and sanctimonious "Documentary Director That Insists On Asking The Same Questions Over And Over Again If You Wish You Did Stuff Differently."

While I think there was an element of moral revisionism from Powell on his book's impact (intentionally or not, the guy has seemed to have been aloof to its impact, crossing the globe as a special needs educator in all sorts of far-flung third world shit holes) there was way too much from the director constantly trying to beat a confession out of somebody that already regretted something he couldn't pull back.  Trying to make the guy feel responsible for Columbine because those two psychos had a copy, or that McVeigh read it--even though so much of the Cookbook was regurgitated from army field manuals he would've read anyway--just seemed incredibly douchebaggy, especially considering how Powell's had no control over its publication and yet it followed him with death threats, rescinded job offers and the like for decades.

IMHO, the Anarchist's Cookbook is one of those window dressing affectations a certain type of person adopts as part of the role.  Anti-government sovereign citizen militia nut?  You have The Turner Diaries.  Romantic commie revolutionary with a Latin flair?  Guerilla Warfare.  Psycho stalker?  You have your copy of Catcher in the Rye.

Anyway, good but could've been better.

Surprising no one here, I have a physical copy of that book.

Neve finished it though, couldn't get into the plot or the characters.

MadBurgerMaker

Gods of Egypt is not a good movie. 

garbon

The Defenders Episode 1

Damn that's a slow ass build-up. Glad to see Jessica Jones and Luke Cage back though. :)

Josquius

Defenders better be more Jessica Jones and less Iron Fist :ultra:
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

I'd expect it to be more Daredevil. That noirish feel from Jessica Jones was kinda odd for a superhero show.

celedhring

It's from the Daredevil creative team, so it's definitely going to be more like that than anything else.

I love Jessica Jones myself, can't wait for S2.

Tamas

The last few weeks, we binge-watched the first two seasons of Twin Peaks (first time ever!) and then the fan edition of the Twin Peaks movie, all glorious 3.5 hours of it.
We rather enjoyed the experience.

This new 3rd season is just killing us though. We are at episode 7. Is it worth pressing on, or is it going to continue being the poor man's Better Call Saul?