News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Some viewers had been burned I guess with episode 2 only making $649,398,328 (Worldwide).

But I guess they knew it'd be gold no matter what.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

I heard the argument that A New Hope was such a success, because Lucas was scared shitless that it might fail, so he was constantly second guessing himself, getting outside opinions, having people work over the dialogue etc.

Something supposedly very much absent in the prequels.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on January 03, 2017, 09:02:33 AM
I heard the argument that A New Hope was such a success, because Lucas was scared shitless that it might fail, so he was constantly second guessing himself, getting outside opinions, having people work over the dialogue etc.

Something supposedly very much absent in the prequels.

The Prequels were about how a once good man was corrupted by power and ruined the Star Wars galaxy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 03, 2017, 06:40:59 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 03, 2017, 06:36:32 AM
token black guy

He's the only guy who can navigate the ship, hardly "token".

True.  And he has the whole spy thing going on.
But his role in the episodes I've seen so far except the first IIRC was to just be the black guy.
Which yeah,  totally valid angle on history,  good move by the producers.  But feels a little forced.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on January 03, 2017, 08:45:49 AM
The Han Solo movie is pushed back to december 2018. Maybe they figure they can make a bigger budgeted movie now they know that anything Star Wars will earn ridiculous amounts of money.

They initially scheduled it for May to avoid Avatar 2 in December. Since it looks like Cameron won't make that date, Disney felt confident about claiming that date and give the film more breathing space after Ep 8

katmai

What a bunch of bullshit, Star Wars films are Memorial Day releases, none of this winter bullshit. Disney has ruined the franchise.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Brain

Disney is not a destroyer of movies. It is a liberator of them.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Vinyl - this show somehow bombed, but I find it very enjoyable as an over the top portrayal of that time. My mother - which was a teenager in that era - utterly loves it.  :hmm:

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on January 03, 2017, 03:29:19 PM
Vinyl - this show somehow bombed, but I find it very enjoyable as an over the top portrayal of that time. My mother - which was a teenager in that era - utterly loves it.  :hmm:

I found it had very little focus, and it's main character was highly unsympathetic. I was hoping for a Season Two, but it's also easily forgotten
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on January 03, 2017, 04:19:06 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 03, 2017, 03:29:19 PM

I found it had very little focus, and it's main character was highly unsympathetic. I was hoping for a Season Two, but it's also easily forgotten

Admittedly, I'm only halfway through the season but - besides the murder arc, which really feels off - it doesn't seem more unfocused than other multi-character canvas series. Yeah, the show leans too heavily on nostalgia and outrageousness to really rise above being merely good, but heh, it's enjoyable.

CountDeMoney

Wrong.  He was just a shitty storyteller when it comes to the constraints of a feature film.  Marcia Lucas saved that movie, and George from himself, singlehandedly.
But, he was insecure enough about Empire and how there was too much at stake, which is why he grudgingly handed the reins over to Kershner, Kasdan and Kurtz. You know, actual professionals.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 03, 2017, 05:03:21 PM

Wrong.  He was just a shitty storyteller when it comes to the constraints of a feature film.  Marcia Lucas saved that movie, and George from himself, singlehandedly.
But, he was insecure enough about Empire and how there was too much at stake, which is why he grudgingly handed the reins over to Kershner, Kasdan and Kurtz. You know, actual professionals.

Meh - the man's not a great director (though isn't American Grafitti supposed to be great?).  But a "shitty storyteller"?  He was still involved in producing and writing Empire and Jedi, as well as a little thing called Indiana Jones.  Hell I even found Howard the Duck and Willow to be amusing in their own way.

And some of the ideas, and some of the visuals, for the prequels were pretty good.  He just should have stayed away from the director's chair.

Edit: For what it's worth, Lucas was twice nominated for the Best Director Academy Award - for American Grafitti and Star Wars.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on January 03, 2017, 06:31:15 AM
I'm weirdly looking forward to La-La-Land. has anyone here already seen it?

I saw it and it was fun, however I'm not sure if it is a move I would recommend. When the credits were first rolling, my first thought was did I like that movie, I guess yeah I did.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

American Graffiti is only "great" due to nostalgia.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Does garbon like any movie?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son